ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

National overtime ban!

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
korky
Posts: 797
Joined: 30 Dec 2007, 09:28

Re: National overtime ban!

Post by korky »

only part timers are getting early overtime at ours, though nothing said about a ban on back end, some still doing it even when light, purely down to lack of cover
1560loopsayear
Posts: 230
Joined: 05 Mar 2019, 18:33
Gender: Male

Re: National overtime ban!

Post by 1560loopsayear »

noggin1969 wrote: ↑
05 Jul 2022, 15:07
Yes, informed this morning, no pressure O/T to be booked, back to concentrate on S/D's and Tracked if you think you won't complete.
Just shows you that mail's not that important to them anymore...take it all out, but don't worry if you bring it back, you will just concentrate of clearing the loops that have two-days mail and eventually you'll catch up as the week goes on.
2chorizon
Posts: 743
Joined: 03 Apr 2019, 20:39
Gender: Male

Re: National overtime ban!

Post by 2chorizon »

They are softening you up ahead of the august OPG strikes.

Trying to crush your ability to build a strike fund using overtime.
POSTPERSON50
Posts: 511
Joined: 21 Oct 2021, 11:09
Gender: Female

Re: National overtime ban!

Post by POSTPERSON50 »

2chorizon wrote: ↑
05 Jul 2022, 17:15
They are softening you up ahead of the august OPG strikes.

Trying to crush your ability to build a strike fund using overtime.
Spot on.
WASD
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 375
Joined: 03 Jul 2019, 12:15
Gender: Male

Re: National overtime ban!

Post by WASD »

Nothing that i know of in my office yet. WTL only seems to be for a third of the office since the latest management restructure. OT ban has happened a few times in recent years at my office, but rarely lasts more than a week as nothing gets done, just not enough staff here.
wazer
Posts: 357
Joined: 17 Jan 2014, 21:20
Gender: Male

Re: National overtime ban!

Post by wazer »

How come Ofcom are not involved more.its common knowledge that post don't go out. Customers know this,MPs know this.
We are getting such a bad name but nothing is done about it.Our office is that short of staff (since Oct),they want to get rid of the 4 in 1 and go back to wot we was 6 months ago.Ot galore there.
kazardaimenu
Posts: 1391
Joined: 13 Apr 2022, 19:11
Gender: Male

Re: National overtime ban!

Post by kazardaimenu »

No mention of it yet. My finish time is half 12 on certain days as a part timer so I'd prioritise bringing back the specials if they tried it.
chickenwittle
Posts: 2095
Joined: 15 Nov 2009, 09:43
Gender: Male

Re: National overtime ban!

Post by chickenwittle »

Yep we got told this morning, no overtime to finish extended duty so bring it back if you can’t complete, fine by me I always do that anyway.
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: National overtime ban!

Post by krussel »

Once again its the customer who will suffer the most waiting for mail. Oh well as long as they get their bonuses at the top. :roll:
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
WalkerX
Posts: 432
Joined: 20 Feb 2021, 22:31
Gender: Male

Re: National overtime ban!

Post by WalkerX »

Foxel wrote: ↑
05 Jul 2022, 14:20
Cucumber wrote: ↑
05 Jul 2022, 14:03
If people on 25 hour a week contracts are being asked to or pressured to not work their say usual 10-12 hours a week then that's pretty poor if you ask me.
That was my first thought but that's ATD (in the OP), not Pressure.

Can't take ATD away else you'll be going home halfway through a round.
ATD??
Judgee
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2262
Joined: 23 Oct 2007, 15:18

Re: National overtime ban!

Post by Judgee »

It's also going to make it tricky for some people to reach the average monthly holiday pay requirements. If you don't work your rest day a couple of times each month you wont qualify for it? That should save the RM a few more quid! :Sick
Union what Union? Do we have a union?
Racingpostie
Posts: 94
Joined: 23 Jun 2021, 15:49
Gender: Male

Re: National overtime ban!

Post by Racingpostie »

Judgee wrote: ↑
05 Jul 2022, 20:41
It's also going to make it tricky for some people to reach the average monthly holiday pay requirements. If you don't work your rest day a couple of times each month you wont qualify for it? That should save the RM a few more quid! :Sick
Rest days come under absence overtime not pressure so should be fine on that front. Agree with what others have said, they'll spout low summer volumes for the cut but making it tough for folk to get a few quid built up for the strike and hoping a few cave is more the agenda you can imagine.
CharlesG
Posts: 180
Joined: 20 May 2021, 20:09
Gender: Male

Re: National overtime ban!

Post by CharlesG »

Mail volumes are down vastly from pre pandemic. Upper management see no need for offices to be booking OT to go over duty time especially when DO is not hitting WIPWH targets.
Pressure overtime is early morning OT on IPS or time going over to complete your duty.
Also in coming weeks workload forecast is forecasted to drastically drop again due to summer holiday season.
Agency staff , if your DO has any, will no longer be working on Mondays , Tuesdays and Saturdays aswell , they are deemed to be unneeded.

Summer holiday season also usually coincides with annual leave ceilings increased so this means they want everyone working all hours to clear the office.

Again it needs to be reiterated from comments here that there is an agreement in place that states tracked items do not get prioritised over mail.
Foxel
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 514
Joined: 04 Oct 2021, 21:20
Gender: Male

Re: National overtime ban!

Post by Foxel »

mjd24 wrote: ↑
05 Jul 2022, 16:27
Whats ATD?
For example, I'm on a 24-hour contract. Which equated to 4 hours 48 minutes a day over 5 days. SO if I get put on a full time duty, today 7 hours 24 minutes, I need to claim overtime for the difference. This is what our depo call it, ATD. If I don't I've worked the difference for free. When I started I relied on staff to find this out. Not sure if others call this something different.
I'm turning purple!
PAClark543
Posts: 12
Joined: 10 Sep 2020, 19:45
Gender: Male

Re: National overtime ban!

Post by PAClark543 »

I'm on a 30 hour contract and do a walk using a trolley. My first and last delivery is over a mile from the sorting office. I usually work through my paid break and claim the 30 mins (as do others). I was told that I could only claim for 15 mins of my break and that I must take a break of 15 mins on my round. I explained that there was nowhere to take a break. I was told to sit in a park and have a coffee! Nice in the summer months but imagine being made to take a 15 minute break with no shelter in the pissing rain in February. Manager said that it was because they have a duty of care and that if I worked for someone like Barclays bank then I would be expected to take my break! I imagine they don't make their staff stand outside in the car park for their break! I was offered the option of taking my break as soon as I started my shift, or at the end of my shift in the staff rest room (which is as appealing as a prison visitor centre!) Not impressed!