ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Lump sum (NPen)

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72754
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Lump sum (NPen)

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

wacko74 wrote:
Oh dear you do like your straw men don't you?
It wasn't aimed at anybody so no there was no strawman involved.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
HTPostman
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1507
Joined: 01 Sep 2008, 23:53
Gender: Male

Lump sum (NPen)

Post by HTPostman »

Sugar wrote:
TrueBlueTerrier wrote:I'll tell you a secret, this job is one of the less stressful ones and least physical I have had, and I have had many in my 40 years of working, but it is one of the best paid. I'll tell you another secret in the form of a parable. "Never knock another person's job, unless you have walked a mile in their shoes, as until you do, you can only assume what their actual job entails"
Have to disagree in part.

Correct me if I am wrong but IIRC the office you are in didn't fully convert to 2 to a van and a large percentage of the deliveries there are still done the old way so you won't have had to deal with the sh!t storm a full 2 to a van revision brought to a lot of offices in the rest of the country.

If it is the office I think it is then I personally spoke with one of your DOMS years ago whilst out on delivery when we went through 2 to a van revision and they were asking a lot of questions. Been led to believe that our revision had gone swimmingly and couldn't believe the sh!t the revision had caused. Told me if they had their way the revision wouldn't be going ahead in their/your office if it was such a disaster.

I know of people transferring into your office just to get out of toxic offices in this area and all have said it was the best thing they'd ever done because the walks were smaller and going back to working the old way was far better so they had less sh!t to deal with every day.

A lot of peoples perspectives of how good or bad the job is is simply based on how things run in their own office so if it is a bad office then they won't feel the job is worth the pay they get. If it's a good office then everything will feel like its coming up roses everyday and people will enjoy the job.

Not saying everything is perfect in your office as I do have experience of a nasty piece of work manager from your area/office who moved over this way and thought it was acceptable to bully and intimidate an older member of staff and then had a sulk when someone squared up to them for it. And who was part of a clique of managers who deliberately targeted another member of staff for the better part of a year.

A huge number of people in this company are in sh!tty badly run offices and we see that in posts on here and on social media every day but put up with it because they have bills to pay and a family to look after so taking that leap of faith to another job is and can be very scary. Their only outlet for their frustrations is places like this. Otherwise you'd end up with greater numbers of sick absences through breakdowns etc and more managers getting tw@tted when they finally blow a fuse.

Personally it shouldn't be classed as an unskilled job because it's not and that's coming from someone who worked in a highly skilled and physical job before ending up at RM.

But on the other hand what people currently get paid is not worth the mental and physical sh!t they have to put themselves through day after day.
You make a good point there. Apart from lack of organisation (which I think runs throughout RM) I consider my office to be a good one, managers talk to you fairly, you get paid the hours you work - I’ve been underpaid just once in short of 2 years and it was resolved within minutes of bringing it to my DOMs attention.

But it also varies between each of us. Some here say it’s a terrible office, some say it’s great. I’ve worked at 4 different ones and consider this by far the best.

Everyone takes things their own way though don’t they? Just as an example, the other week a line manager came round each frame. He asked me ‘HTPostman how much overtime will you need today?’ I replied I’d finish 2 hours over my time because I’m Part Time/5 hours a day, ‘great, I’ve put you down for 2 hours, just change it if you’re back early.’

He then asked Joe Bloggs across the way the same question, how much overtime is needed. The reply he got from Mr Bloggs was a real rant ‘so you’re just assuming I’ll do overtime? That’s rude of you, I don’t like how you’ve worded your question, it’s like you’re insisting I do overtime. What if I don’t want to work over? Any more harassment and I’ll put in a grievance against you.’
The day is gonna come when we’re all gonna have to testify.

526
DB1100
Posts: 1976
Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30

Lump sum (NPen)

Post by DB1100 »

I along with many other part timers stepped up to full time hours for the Covid pandemic,we weren't offered the option to sign for temporary full time like at Christmas and yet they still pay us pro rata bonus,the money is not that important it's the principal,if we've worked the same hours we should get the same bonus our health is just as important
For we were soldiers once,and young
HTPostman
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1507
Joined: 01 Sep 2008, 23:53
Gender: Male

Lump sum (NPen)

Post by HTPostman »

12,000 jobs cut in the UK over the last 48 hours, it’s just the tip of the iceberg.

I’m really not fussed anymore about the ‘missing’ £69 extra I would’ve got if it wasn’t paid pro-rata. I just want to keep my job.
The day is gonna come when we’re all gonna have to testify.

526
Waynegriff
Posts: 2
Joined: 10 Jun 2021, 15:45
Gender: Male

Re: Lump sum (NPen)

Post by Waynegriff »

I’ve just got this on my wage slip today Lump sum(NPen)

I came here to see what it was. I’ve also noticed my pension pot to date has gone down the same amount as the lump sum I’ve received. So how is it a bonus?
fb1969
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1693
Joined: 29 Aug 2012, 08:38
Gender: Male
Location: hiding on the backstreets

Re: Lump sum (NPen)

Post by fb1969 »

It isn't a bonus!!

It is a "loan" against the pay rise which RM are forcing through and will be paid in August.
Royal Mail
failing the workforce, failing the public and deliberately failing mail on a daily basis for too many years.
Dindin
Posts: 491
Joined: 29 Jul 2019, 17:19
Gender: Male

Re: Lump sum (NPen)

Post by Dindin »

fb1969 wrote: ↑
30 Jun 2022, 06:07
It isn't a bonus!!

It is a "loan" against the pay rise which RM are forcing through and will be paid in August.
Well said I was just going to say This is NO bonus
Waynegriff
Posts: 2
Joined: 10 Jun 2021, 15:45
Gender: Male

Re: Lump sum (NPen)

Post by Waynegriff »

Thanks for clearing that up for me.
I knew it wouldn’t be a bonus, I just wanted to clear up what it was without having to ask in work (currently on Annual leave)
I decided to search on here to find no correct answers and bickering about the job. 😂
pieoftheday
Posts: 1843
Joined: 11 Mar 2010, 16:43
Gender: Male

Re: Lump sum (NPen)

Post by pieoftheday »

It's not a loan, tax has been paid on it
RobertT
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 6700
Joined: 09 Sep 2007, 14:26
Gender: Male

Re: Lump sum (NPen)

Post by RobertT »

Waynegriff wrote: ↑
30 Jun 2022, 00:12
I’ve just got this on my wage slip today Lump sum(NPen)

I came here to see what it was. I’ve also noticed my pension pot to date has gone down the same amount as the lump sum I’ve received. So how is it a bonus?
It sounds like you're in the RMDCP with Scottish Widows?

Your pension pot will be going up and down, potentially by the minute, in line with your investment choices.

It's got nothing to do with your wages!
Links to all RM pension related websites are here
fb1969
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1693
Joined: 29 Aug 2012, 08:38
Gender: Male
Location: hiding on the backstreets

Re: Lump sum (NPen)

Post by fb1969 »

pieoftheday wrote: ↑
30 Jun 2022, 10:55
It's not a loan, tax has been paid on it
That is why I put loan as "loan". Read what RM have said, it is an advance of a pay rise which was easier to do than calculate the correct figures. When they calculate and pay the correct figures, they will deduct from it the amount they have paid this week. Could call it a loan or an advance, either way any tax paid will be corrected as and when the correct amounts are paid. No different to what would happen if you were overpaid something and they had to take it back off you.
Royal Mail
failing the workforce, failing the public and deliberately failing mail on a daily basis for too many years.
crimson king
Posts: 783
Joined: 20 Aug 2017, 16:37
Gender: Male

Re: Lump sum (NPen)

Post by crimson king »

Loan, advance, kick in the teeth, call it what you will, after deductions it made about a hundred quid difference to my total.

I'm so glad Simon has listened to his "team" and realised they need help right now during this cost of living crisis.

Just enough to fill my fuel tank to get to work for a few weeks.

Jeez...thanks, Si :thumbup

Yes vote in post as a token of my sincere gratitude.
Sooner or later, a beat dog bites.
Dubery72
Posts: 1
Joined: 14 Jul 2022, 21:14
Gender: Male

Re: Lump sum (NPen)

Post by Dubery72 »

Hi All,
In July received £284 as lumpsum (npen).
In August had debit of £284 as lumpsum (npen).
Started work for RM in Nov '21.
So assume the July payment was an error considering my start time.
Oh well, not to worry. Just as well didn't spend it.
Thanks for clarfying what this payment was for.
Cheers