ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Anyone looking for a new job?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Cucumber
Posts: 1052
Joined: 09 Dec 2018, 10:24
Gender: Female

Re: Anyone looking for a new job?

Post by Cucumber »

greengiant wrote: ↑
19 Jun 2022, 16:01
Cucumber wrote: ↑
19 Jun 2022, 15:58
Regarding these rumoured finishing times.

Anybody venture a guess at just how much later they will be?
And the knock on effect of CSP hours. If posties are going to be out delivering until 8pm, then how will any returned parcels get booked in same day if CSP shuts at 7?
Not uncommon for parcels to get scanned back in the next morning.

Regarding the hours change and potential Sunday work, many in ours would have no problem with later finishes, if it kept Sundays at bay for them. Conversely, we've also had a few people asking if they agreed to work a Sunday every so often, would it help with getting to finish for the school run.
Those offers might end up being immaterial if it's expected things get bulldozed through anyways.
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

Re: Anyone looking for a new job?

Post by k979aaa »

Royal Mail want the earth from us all yet not pay for it good luck to them and the overpaid CEO who pleads poverty but the testament in due course is a service deficit and less capable staff.
Numberone63
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 621
Joined: 05 Sep 2017, 18:38
Gender: Male

Re: Anyone looking for a new job?

Post by Numberone63 »

Yep. Taking 6 months off May-November next year. Unpaid. Relax and chill. Holiday and daughters wedding then try find something new If I can’t I’ll be back for Christmas 2023
greengiant
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1268
Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
Gender: Male

Re: Anyone looking for a new job?

Post by greengiant »

Cucumber wrote: ↑
19 Jun 2022, 16:18
greengiant wrote: ↑
19 Jun 2022, 16:01
Cucumber wrote: ↑
19 Jun 2022, 15:58
Regarding these rumoured finishing times.

Anybody venture a guess at just how much later they will be?
And the knock on effect of CSP hours. If posties are going to be out delivering until 8pm, then how will any returned parcels get booked in same day if CSP shuts at 7?
Not uncommon for parcels to get scanned back in the next morning.

Regarding the hours change and potential Sunday work, many in ours would have no problem with later finishes, if it kept Sundays at bay for them. Conversely, we've also had a few people asking if they agreed to work a Sunday every so often, would it help with getting to finish for the school run.
Those offers might end up being immaterial if it's expected things get bulldozed through anyways.
Mind you, there's times customers rock up to the caller's office 10 mins after getting the p739 through the door .. :d'oh!
Seymour Buts
Posts: 1148
Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
Gender: Male

Re: Anyone looking for a new job?

Post by Seymour Buts »

Depends how this agreement goes. I do enjoy the job, and the money is decent for what is unskilled and low pressure work but reading between the lines the company want later start and finish times with the aim of rolling LATS and collections into duties thereby eliminating overtime. Coupled with potentially working Sunday's and me being part time I think I'd be forced to go then.
nightcrawler
Posts: 189
Joined: 20 Sep 2018, 17:05
Gender: Male

Re: Anyone looking for a new job?

Post by nightcrawler »

scoobydo79 wrote: ↑
17 Jun 2022, 20:25
Lots of our guys have gone to the railway. Train driver,Signaler,engineering,Gate control box. Not met one yet who has regretted it.
Any idea on the best places to look/apply for jobs on the railway? I’m suppose it depends on the area you live in? I live in London. I’m probably too old to be a train driver, but there could be something else I could go for.
scoobydo79
Posts: 2057
Joined: 15 May 2011, 19:04
Gender: Male

Re: Anyone looking for a new job?

Post by scoobydo79 »

nightcrawler wrote: ↑
26 Jun 2022, 19:26
scoobydo79 wrote: ↑
17 Jun 2022, 20:25
Lots of our guys have gone to the railway. Train driver,Signaler,engineering,Gate control box. Not met one yet who has regretted it.
Any idea on the best places to look/apply for jobs on the railway? I’m suppose it depends on the area you live in? I live in London. I’m probably too old to be a train driver, but there could be something else I could go for.
Train driver is bloody hard to get into. Tests , concentration, colour vision they do the lot. It seems lots get in by word of mouth or relative already in the job.
nuklearpuppy
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 63
Joined: 05 Nov 2010, 23:52
Gender: Female

Re: Anyone looking for a new job?

Post by nuklearpuppy »

After a lot of spouting and moaning on here I’ve finally left this horrible company . The things that go on in my office on a day to day basis are nothing short of scandalous . It’s every person for themselves in Royal Mail now and the managers pets are the biggest breadwinners . It’s sad I’m leaving as there are genuinely decent people I will miss but the culture of mismanagement and favouritism led me out the door . Used to be a great job but now it’s just simply brutal . It took me a good while but I’ve now found a job which is more flexible and requires far less slave donkey work and I’m really enjoying the change .
WASD
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 375
Joined: 03 Jul 2019, 12:15
Gender: Male

Re: Anyone looking for a new job?

Post by WASD »

nuklearpuppy wrote: ↑
27 Jun 2022, 19:54
After a lot of spouting and moaning on here I’ve finally left this horrible company . The things that go on in my office on a day to day basis are nothing short of scandalous . It’s every person for themselves in Royal Mail now and the managers pets are the biggest breadwinners . It’s sad I’m leaving as there are genuinely decent people I will miss but the culture of mismanagement and favouritism led me out the door . Used to be a great job but now it’s just simply brutal . It took me a good while but I’ve now found a job which is more flexible and requires far less slave donkey work and I’m really enjoying the change .
Nice to read you feel like you've made the right choice :thumbup
How long were you a postie for?