ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Wake up team, you are losing your staff

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: Wake up team, you are losing your staff

Post by Dorset Plodder »

It's a shame you didn't find the reality of the job lived up to your expectations. Good Luck in your future job hunting. You must by know have spent almost as much time posting your experience across the site as you did working for Royal Mail.

Personally I'd have given it longer than a couple of days. I've been in jobs that I "thought" I'd hated and had to do one day at a time, threatening myself to jack every evening, until I settled in.:cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
Jahpostie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 318
Joined: 23 Aug 2018, 16:17
Gender: Male

Re: Wake up team, you are losing your staff

Post by Jahpostie »

You made the right decision unbelievably early - RM is an awful place to work now. However I'm not sure you'll survive anywhere else if you quit jobs so quickly. It should have taken a few months to work out RM is a sh*t storm.
RoboPostie
Posts: 10
Joined: 02 Mar 2018, 20:12
Gender: Male

Re: Wake up team, you are losing your staff

Post by RoboPostie »

Bearcat@76 wrote: ↑
05 Jun 2022, 08:59
the training and attitude from the work place coach was terrible.
Your Work Coach is a disgrace- they're being paid extra every week, and then resent actually having to do something to earn it!
blacov
Posts: 397
Joined: 12 May 2019, 21:40
Gender: Male

Re: Wake up team, you are losing your staff

Post by blacov »

This is thread that Simon or at least some of his directors should see. This poor guy made it to the forum so he could share his experience. There are dozens of similar stories from across the country and they never see the daylight. Royal Mail is falling off the cliff in terms of work satisfaction. Pay is less and less attractive every year, workloads ever increasing, training is less and less adequate if any, a lot of things are so dated, it is real shame for a company of this size and valuation. On top of that we have CEO who doesn't see anything but the financials and is on top of that regularly insulting his workers.

My life at RM is far from these horror stories we can read here. I am thinking about leaving more and more often, with each week, month passing by, I am losing faith that this company is going to get any better. Last year it all has accelerated. We are falling and we are going to crash big. Shares dropping, staff leaving, managers about to strike, new recruits leaving as soon as they joined, older very experienced posties never properly replaced.

So I can't blame that people leave as early as 2 days in the job. There is no future for us in my opinion unless there is a massive change of vision right at the top. Unfortunately it will never happen in the capitalism era.
Acca Dacca
Posts: 3226
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 17:13
Gender: Male

Re: Wake up team, you are losing your staff

Post by Acca Dacca »

Bearcat@76 wrote: ↑
05 Jun 2022, 08:59
Thanks for the replies, so day one was a complete shambles with no induction like I have explained in my above lengthy post. Day two I was issued with the PDA, we went out for delivery's and issued with a bag full of parcels and a bundle of post which to some extent I enjoyed, I know I made mistakes with the PDA but would of thought that I would have been shadowed by somebody else to go other things that I was unsure about. What I find strange is that they don't teach you about how to speak to a customer on the doorstep, what I have seen they just say parcel mate, now that's terrible no good morning or afternoon but maybe that's just me. I just wanted to get the proper training being inducted correctly and to have a decent work place coach, not make as many mistakes as you like for six weeks. This is not what RM customers want to hear. So I think by day two I had more than a gut full of the RM experience. Like I have said I enjoyed delivering and speaking to customers with no problem, the training and attitude from the work place coach was terrible.
You need training to say good morning to someone?

You have said you enjoyed your second day.....then you quit. I dont really understand. I have read more than my fair share of horror stories from newstarts....yours isnt one of them or anywhere close.
If you tolerate this, then your paid break will be next
Bearcat@76
Posts: 26
Joined: 03 Jun 2022, 11:28
Gender: Male

Re: Wake up team, you are losing your staff

Post by Bearcat@76 »

Thanks for your reply, I'm not trying to paint a horror story , just to share my experience of my first two day's. I thought I would have walked into a more positive environment in the DO which I was based at. The impression that I got from the workplace coach was that training me was an inconvenience, all I wanted was to be trained correctly and not rushed through. I know it may seem a rash decision to hand my notice in after two days but I can read between the lines very well. I don't think it's exceptable to be trained to a poor standard left on a loop and hope for the best on day two. It is a shame I still want to be a postie, but wanted to be trained by somebody that gives a ..... about the person that they are training. I thought I would of got training in the depot for a few days to understand how to sort mail and parcels, and then go out.
RobertT
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 6700
Joined: 09 Sep 2007, 14:26
Gender: Male

Re: Wake up team, you are losing your staff

Post by RobertT »

Bearcat@76 wrote: ↑
05 Jun 2022, 14:25
Thanks for your reply, I'm not trying to paint a horror story , just to share my experience of my first two day's. I thought I would have walked into a more positive environment in the DO which I was based at. The impression that I got from the workplace coach was that training me was an inconvenience, all I wanted was to be trained correctly and not rushed through. I know it may seem a rash decision to hand my notice in after two days but I can read between the lines very well. I don't think it's exceptable to be trained to a poor standard left on a loop and hope for the best on day two. It is a shame I still want to be a postie, but wanted to be trained by somebody that gives a ..... about the person that they are training. I thought I would of got training in the depot for a few days to understand how to sort mail and parcels, and then go out.
I've worked with a few new starters over the years, once they've had their few days with a workplace coach. I think all of them have said, they've learnt far more working with me than with the WPC.
Because it's the sort of job you learn by actually doing it!

In my opinion it takes a while to get to know the job properly, especially with the PDA's, scanning and knowing where to get a signature and when to take a photo, etc. Added to trying to throw in a walk and finding your way around once you're out on the street.

These things may sound easy to those who've been in the job for a while, but to a new starter there's a lot to take in!

One bloke said to me once, that working for RM is like driving down a motorway – everything is 100 miles an hour and there's no time to take everything in.
I told him that after a while it would become first like an A-road, and eventually a country lane.
He turned out to become a perfectly good and respected postie and one that knew a quite a few different walks.

I can understand your frustration and I think it's one of those jobs that you're either suited to or you're not. But in my personal opinion you haven't really given it much of a chance.

Good luck in whatever you do next.
Links to all RM pension related websites are here
mjd24
Posts: 1409
Joined: 11 May 2008, 18:48

Re: Wake up team, you are losing your staff

Post by mjd24 »

Acca Dacca wrote: ↑
04 Jun 2022, 22:28
Bearcat@76 wrote: ↑
04 Jun 2022, 20:03
Thank you for your replies, I'm so disappointed and feel let down, by day two i actually really enjoyed speaking to member's of the public when handing over parcels and post, I had a sense of pride that I worked for an iconic national brand. It's just a sham the training and attitude are not upto par.
I'll be honest, I think you threw the towel in too early. It didnt sound like your experience was that bad. A manager telling you dont worry about making mistakes in the first 6 weeks and you gave it 2 days?

I agree, seems quite bizarre to me that having got that far you then quit after 2 days! Even 2 months i would say is possibly too early to quit.
mjd24
Posts: 1409
Joined: 11 May 2008, 18:48

Re: Wake up team, you are losing your staff

Post by mjd24 »

Bearcat@76 wrote: ↑
05 Jun 2022, 14:25
Thanks for your reply, I'm not trying to paint a horror story , just to share my experience of my first two day's. I thought I would have walked into a more positive environment in the DO which I was based at. The impression that I got from the workplace coach was that training me was an inconvenience, all I wanted was to be trained correctly and not rushed through. I know it may seem a rash decision to hand my notice in after two days but I can read between the lines very well. I don't think it's exceptable to be trained to a poor standard left on a loop and hope for the best on day two. It is a shame I still want to be a postie, but wanted to be trained by somebody that gives a ..... about the person that they are training. I thought I would of got training in the depot for a few days to understand how to sort mail and parcels, and then go out.
Its fair enough if you believe you made the right decision but nothing you have written makes any sense to me in terms of why you would quit after 2 days- and im sure many agree with me.
Bearcat@76
Posts: 26
Joined: 03 Jun 2022, 11:28
Gender: Male

Re: Wake up team, you are losing your staff

Post by Bearcat@76 »

RobertT wrote: ↑
05 Jun 2022, 15:06
Bearcat@76 wrote: ↑
05 Jun 2022, 14:25
Thanks for your reply, I'm not trying to paint a horror story , just to share my experience of my first two day's. I thought I would have walked into a more positive environment in the DO which I was based at. The impression that I got from the workplace coach was that training me was an inconvenience, all I wanted was to be trained correctly and not rushed through. I know it may seem a rash decision to hand my notice in after two days but I can read between the lines very well. I don't think it's exceptable to be trained to a poor standard left on a loop and hope for the best on day two. It is a shame I still want to be a postie, but wanted to be trained by somebody that gives a ..... about the person that they are training. I thought I would of got training in the depot for a few days to understand how to sort mail and parcels, and then go out.
I've worked with a few new starters over the years, once they've had their few days with a workplace coach. I think all of them have said, they've learnt far more working with me than with the WPC.
Because it's the sort of job you learn by actually doing it!

In my opinion it takes a while to get to know the job properly, especially with the PDA's, scanning and knowing where to get a signature and when to take a photo, etc. Added to trying to throw in a walk and finding your way around once you're out on the street.

These things may sound easy to those who've been in the job for a while, but to a new starter there's a lot to take in!

One bloke said to me once, that working for RM is like driving down a motorway – everything is 100 miles an hour and there's no time to take everything in.
I told him that after a while it would become first like an A-road, and eventually a country lane.
He turned out to become a perfectly good and respected postie and one that knew a quite a few different walks.

I can understand your frustration and I think it's one of those jobs that you're either suited to or you're not. But in my personal opinion you haven't really given it much of a chance.

Good luck in whatever you do next.
Yeah thanks for the reply, it's a real shame I still want to be a postie, but to be trained correctly, not just off you go and see what happens and make as many mistakes as you like, I don't think customers would be to happy with the training regime. On my first day I met another work place coach earlier in the morning he appeared to be really positive and friendly.
Bobby39
Posts: 14
Joined: 17 Dec 2019, 15:30
Gender: Male

Re: Wake up team, you are losing your staff

Post by Bobby39 »

RoboPostie wrote: ↑
05 Jun 2022, 09:59
Bearcat@76 wrote: ↑
05 Jun 2022, 08:59
the training and attitude from the work place coach was terrible.
Your Work Coach is a disgrace- they're being paid extra every week, and then resent actually having to do something to earn it!
£40 a week to be precise. Our 3 work place coaches do absolutely nothing for the money. 1 is the most negative/ work shy bloke in the office. Management well aware but apparently can't sack of a work place coach easily. Sums the company up!
Wolf91
Posts: 506
Joined: 06 Sep 2018, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: Wake up team, you are losing your staff

Post by Wolf91 »

Bearcat@76 wrote: ↑
05 Jun 2022, 18:00
RobertT wrote: ↑
05 Jun 2022, 15:06
Bearcat@76 wrote: ↑
05 Jun 2022, 14:25
Thanks for your reply, I'm not trying to paint a horror story , just to share my experience of my first two day's. I thought I would have walked into a more positive environment in the DO which I was based at. The impression that I got from the workplace coach was that training me was an inconvenience, all I wanted was to be trained correctly and not rushed through. I know it may seem a rash decision to hand my notice in after two days but I can read between the lines very well. I don't think it's exceptable to be trained to a poor standard left on a loop and hope for the best on day two. It is a shame I still want to be a postie, but wanted to be trained by somebody that gives a ..... about the person that they are training. I thought I would of got training in the depot for a few days to understand how to sort mail and parcels, and then go out.
I've worked with a few new starters over the years, once they've had their few days with a workplace coach. I think all of them have said, they've learnt far more working with me than with the WPC.
Because it's the sort of job you learn by actually doing it!

In my opinion it takes a while to get to know the job properly, especially with the PDA's, scanning and knowing where to get a signature and when to take a photo, etc. Added to trying to throw in a walk and finding your way around once you're out on the street.

These things may sound easy to those who've been in the job for a while, but to a new starter there's a lot to take in!

One bloke said to me once, that working for RM is like driving down a motorway – everything is 100 miles an hour and there's no time to take everything in.
I told him that after a while it would become first like an A-road, and eventually a country lane.
He turned out to become a perfectly good and respected postie and one that knew a quite a few different walks.

I can understand your frustration and I think it's one of those jobs that you're either suited to or you're not. But in my personal opinion you haven't really given it much of a chance.

Good luck in whatever you do next.
Yeah thanks for the reply, it's a real shame I still want to be a postie, but to be trained correctly, not just off you go and see what happens and make as many mistakes as you like, I don't think customers would be to happy with the training regime. On my first day I met another work place coach earlier in the morning he appeared to be really positive and friendly.
The training is s**t.
But do you want to work for the company or not?
Persevere, put yourself about, ask questions, etc.
The best way to learn the job is honestly experience, in which you had basically zero. You have to learn a great deal of it from your own initiative.
It takes a while to learn the ropes, let alone get efficient and confident in it.
That can take some people a few months, others within about a month - 6 weeks.
It sounds like you went in with a negative attitude and got put off straight away.
If you had just stuck it out, you’d have learned how to do it, and as soon as you were a acclimatised and up to speed, you may have even begun to enjoy it...
I know I did.
You will never know though now...
That’s how I don’t understand how you can chuck it after two days.

Good luck in the future though and hopefully can take something positive from it .
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16709
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: Wake up team, you are losing your staff

Post by clashcityrocker »

How much has this cost Royal Mail?
£10 000?
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
F33N7
Posts: 9
Joined: 27 Oct 2021, 15:23
Gender: Male

Re: Wake up team, you are losing your staff

Post by F33N7 »

I agree with most above, you should have stuck it out.. if it is what you wanted to do then 2 days makes no sense to hand notice in. I’d say you must have been really out off to leave within that time, I started before Xmas and thankfully due to my previous job roles for 20 years I am
Used to Xmas… they mentioned it a few times about not to worry, mistakes will be made etc but I didn’t actually find Xmas as bad as I thought it was going to be. I had a few tough days with maybe 1 or 2 posties in my time here less than a year but overall I have enjoyed the job in general.

At the start it’s really just about you learning to go out and post the mail and getting used to doing that run, using pda etc Everything takes getting used too, it doesn’t seem it but there lots to take in ud never learn it all in a week or a month…even if I get put onto a frame now I have never done before I Stress a little bit because I need an extra 10 minutes to adjust lol.
Bearcat@76
Posts: 26
Joined: 03 Jun 2022, 11:28
Gender: Male

Re: Wake up team, you are losing your staff

Post by Bearcat@76 »

Wolf91 wrote: ↑
05 Jun 2022, 18:27
Bearcat@76 wrote: ↑
05 Jun 2022, 18:00
RobertT wrote: ↑
05 Jun 2022, 15:06
Bearcat@76 wrote: ↑
05 Jun 2022, 14:25
Thanks for your reply, I'm not trying to paint a horror story , just to share my experience of my first two day's. I thought I would have walked into a more positive environment in the DO which I was based at. The impression that I got from the workplace coach was that training me was an inconvenience, all I wanted was to be trained correctly and not rushed through. I know it may seem a rash decision to hand my notice in after two days but I can read between the lines very well. I don't think it's exceptable to be trained to a poor standard left on a loop and hope for the best on day two. It is a shame I still want to be a postie, but wanted to be trained by somebody that gives a ..... about the person that they are training. I thought I would of got training in the depot for a few days to understand how to sort mail and parcels, and then go out.
I've worked with a few new starters over the years, once they've had their few days with a workplace coach. I think all of them have said, they've learnt far more working with me than with the WPC.
Because it's the sort of job you learn by actually doing it!

In my opinion it takes a while to get to know the job properly, especially with the PDA's, scanning and knowing where to get a signature and when to take a photo, etc. Added to trying to throw in a walk and finding your way around once you're out on the street.

These things may sound easy to those who've been in the job for a while, but to a new starter there's a lot to take in!

One bloke said to me once, that working for RM is like driving down a motorway – everything is 100 miles an hour and there's no time to take everything in.
I told him that after a while it would become first like an A-road, and eventually a country lane.
He turned out to become a perfectly good and respected postie and one that knew a quite a few different walks.

I can understand your frustration and I think it's one of those jobs that you're either suited to or you're not. But in my personal opinion you haven't really given it much of a chance.

Good luck in whatever you do next.
Yeah thanks for the reply, it's a real shame I still want to be a postie, but to be trained correctly, not just off you go and see what happens and make as many mistakes as you like, I don't think customers would be to happy with the training regime. On my first day I met another work place coach earlier in the morning he appeared to be really positive and friendly.
The training is s**t.
But do you want to work for the company or not?
Persevere, put yourself about, ask questions, etc.
The best way to learn the job is honestly experience, in which you had basically zero. You have to learn a great deal of it from your own initiative.
It takes a while to learn the ropes, let alone get efficient and confident in it.
That can take some people a few months, others within about a month - 6 weeks.
It sounds like you went in with a negative attitude and got put off straight away.
If you had just stuck it out, you’d have learned how to do it, and as soon as you were a acclimatised and up to speed, you may have even begun to enjoy it...
I know I did.
You will never know though now...
That’s how I don’t understand how you can chuck it after two days.

Good luck in the future though and hopefully can take something positive from it .
Thank you for the reply. No I went in with a positive attitude even though I was told to get there for 06:00 on my first day, but found out it should have been 08:00hrs. The first postie I met apologised on behalf of Royal Mail for the confusion he was really great he said he was a workplace coach. I then met the other WPC he was okay but was rushing things through, giving a brief overview of the frame etc which i think yes has thrown me off. I can't see how anybody would pick things up with that style of training. I understand about you have to do the job to get the experience, just wanted to be trained correctly and I would have been good to go, and yes I still want the to be a postie