ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Wake up team, you are losing your staff

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
HTPostman
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1507
Joined: 01 Sep 2008, 23:53
Gender: Male

Re: Wake up team, you are losing your staff

Post by HTPostman »

RobertT wrote: ↑
01 Jun 2022, 18:39
Woody Guthrie wrote: ↑
01 Jun 2022, 16:22
To be fair every pound is only 68p after tax and NI..
Just saying.
Not every pound! Everyone can earn a certain amount before income tax and NIC's come into it.

It's actually 66.75p once the lower earnings thresholds for income tax and NIC's have both been reached.

At the moment those two thresholds are different, but the lower threshold for NIC's is due to increase to be equal that of income tax, in July.
I was going to say, unless I’ve misread Woody’s post for every pound I earn I pay 5 pence (rounded up) tax and 5 pence (rounded up) NI.
The day is gonna come when we’re all gonna have to testify.

526
Woody Guthrie
Posts: 5166
Joined: 29 Sep 2018, 20:47
Gender: Male

Re: Wake up team, you are losing your staff

Post by Woody Guthrie »

HTPostman wrote: ↑
01 Jun 2022, 22:18
RobertT wrote: ↑
01 Jun 2022, 18:39
Woody Guthrie wrote: ↑
01 Jun 2022, 16:22
To be fair every pound is only 68p after tax and NI..
Just saying.
Not every pound! Everyone can earn a certain amount before income tax and NIC's come into it.

It's actually 66.75p once the lower earnings thresholds for income tax and NIC's have both been reached.

At the moment those two thresholds are different, but the lower threshold for NIC's is due to increase to be equal that of income tax, in July.
I was going to say, unless I’ve misread Woody’s post for every pound I earn I pay 5 pence (rounded up) tax and 5 pence (rounded up) NI.
It depends on how you look at it.
The conversation is about the difference between earning £10/hr and £12/hr.

Assuming they're both equivalent full-time jobs both will have already exceeded their weekly personal allowance so every extra £1 is actually worth only worth 66.75p in take home pay. The same issue people who work overtime have and to a lesser extent those who take their pension and continue to work.
Only dead fish follow the current
HTPostman
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1507
Joined: 01 Sep 2008, 23:53
Gender: Male

Re: Wake up team, you are losing your staff

Post by HTPostman »

Woody Guthrie wrote: ↑
02 Jun 2022, 05:33
HTPostman wrote: ↑
01 Jun 2022, 22:18
RobertT wrote: ↑
01 Jun 2022, 18:39
Woody Guthrie wrote: ↑
01 Jun 2022, 16:22
To be fair every pound is only 68p after tax and NI..
Just saying.
Not every pound! Everyone can earn a certain amount before income tax and NIC's come into it.

It's actually 66.75p once the lower earnings thresholds for income tax and NIC's have both been reached.

At the moment those two thresholds are different, but the lower threshold for NIC's is due to increase to be equal that of income tax, in July.
I was going to say, unless I’ve misread Woody’s post for every pound I earn I pay 5 pence (rounded up) tax and 5 pence (rounded up) NI.
It depends on how you look at it.
The conversation is about the difference between earning £10/hr and £12/hr.

Assuming they're both equivalent full-time jobs both will have already exceeded their weekly personal allowance so every extra £1 is actually worth only worth 66.75p in take home pay. The same issue people who work overtime have and to a lesser extent those who take their pension and continue to work.
I follow you now, thank you for explaining. Personally I don’t do OT anymore, a few reasons but the main ones being the farcical average holiday pay agreement, my tax/student loan situation and the fact it’s just expected of you to stay out, complete and book OT.
The day is gonna come when we’re all gonna have to testify.

526
rambo1
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3266
Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
Gender: Male

Re: Wake up team, you are losing your staff

Post by rambo1 »

norris9 wrote: ↑
31 May 2022, 14:38
Same at our place. Posties heading out the door weekly.

I am considering leaving too and I was hoping to be in the job for life. Job is too physical. In mild pain all the time. If they bring in long working days in the winter as they wish...I will be wrecked at the end of those days. It's not worth it. There are other delivery jobs such as being supermarket delivery drivers, they get paid similar to us and have a job which is probably less than 10% of the physicality of the job we do. They also finish early most days.
Are there no LAT pkt driver jobs going at your place. Easy job.
Bearcat@76
Posts: 26
Joined: 03 Jun 2022, 11:28
Gender: Male

Re: Wake up team, you are losing your staff

Post by Bearcat@76 »

Hi all, this was my introduction to RM this week so I received a call from RM recruitment confirming that I had the job as a postie with driving 30hr contract. I was over the moon when they told me, they gave me my start date which was last Tuesday received an email to be at depot for 06:00, turned up nobody there apart from early starts and RM HGV driver unloading, he said that there was no management in yet fortunately there was a postie that was in early who was a workplace coach showed me around and apologised, he was really nice. Later on I was introduced to another workplace coach who seemed okay but started to come across as if the training duty was an inconvenience to him. He started to show me how to file letters in the frame but very briefly, I had a hello how are you we will have a chat at some point from one of the managers and that was it for the day. So we eventually went out on of the loops and was shown how to deliver post and how to use a PDA, went on a second loop and I was onmy own delivering letters which I enjoyed. The second day I was basically on my own I was told to come in for 8:00 am I arrived and found that half the frame had been completed, apparently Wednesday's are really busy so could that be the reason. Had that chat with management about 20 mins into my shift all appears fine they said you will make loads of mistakes but stick at it you will do well. So we went out on delivery I was issued with a PDA and parcels and off I went, so it was a day of a bit of rain and sun which was great. I have seen from other posts on here I need to stick at it which is fair enough, but I cannot help the feeling that something is not right and I don't want to go back. Its not been a pleasant experience so far my workplace coach is acting like training me is an inconvenience leaving me on the frame often for ten fifteen mins and sometimes I get short answers when asking questions. I'm back in tomorrow and I'm dreading it I'm only new to the job and except making mistakes is part of the process but I want to be taught correctly so I don't make so many mistakes. I was back in this morning and handed in my notice to my manager who didn't try to talk me out of leaving just wanted know how they could improve things. I didn't want to be in a position of leaving but felt there was no choice. I said to the manager that I shouldn't have been left to my own devices with a PDA and post on day two with insufficient training, and basically I can make as many mistakes as I like in six weeks. I just wanted to be taught correctly so I don't make so many mistakes.
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

Re: Wake up team, you are losing your staff

Post by bustedflush »

Bearcat@76 wrote: ↑
04 Jun 2022, 17:43
Hi all, this was my introduction to RM this week so I received a call from RM recruitment confirming that I had the job as a postie with driving 30hr contract. I was over the moon when they told me, they gave me my start date which was last Tuesday received an email to be at depot for 06:00, turned up nobody there apart from early starts and RM HGV driver unloading, he said that there was no management in yet fortunately there was a postie that was in early who was a workplace coach showed me around and apologised, he was really nice. Later on I was introduced to another workplace coach who seemed okay but started to come across as if the training duty was an inconvenience to him. He started to show me how to file letters in the frame but very briefly, I had a hello how are you we will have a chat at some point from one of the managers and that was it for the day. So we eventually went out on of the loops and was shown how to deliver post and how to use a PDA, went on a second loop and I was onmy own delivering letters which I enjoyed. The second day I was basically on my own I was told to come in for 8:00 am I arrived and found that half the frame had been completed, apparently Wednesday's are really busy so could that be the reason. Had that chat with management about 20 mins into my shift all appears fine they said you will make loads of mistakes but stick at it you will do well. So we went out on delivery I was issued with a PDA and parcels and off I went, so it was a day of a bit of rain and sun which was great. I have seen from other posts on here I need to stick at it which is fair enough, but I cannot help the feeling that something is not right and I don't want to go back. Its not been a pleasant experience so far my workplace coach is acting like training me is an inconvenience leaving me on the frame often for ten fifteen mins and sometimes I get short answers when asking questions. I'm back in tomorrow and I'm dreading it I'm only new to the job and except making mistakes is part of the process but I want to be taught correctly so I don't make so many mistakes. I was back in this morning and handed in my notice to my manager who didn't try to talk me out of leaving just wanted know how they could improve things. I didn't want to be in a position of leaving but felt there was no choice. I said to the manager that I shouldn't have been left to my own devices with a PDA and post on day two with insufficient training, and basically I can make as many mistakes as I like in six weeks. I just wanted to be taught correctly so I don't make so many mistakes.
Chicken-egg situation. It may be easy to say the workplace coach was a complete wayne kerr but I would surmise they are selected because they are reasonably companionable people as opposed to just wanting the extra bucks for doing it. Then again, this is RM we are talking about. I reckon that his indifference is not due to you but a sense of frustration and pointlessness on his behalf "Oh, not another one!" as he sets about training you while knowing statistically you only have about a 1/8 chance of being there in 6 months as most new recruits leave in that time. Then he's probably got his own round to get ready as well. It seems the staff resources aren't there nowadays to do the training properly so it's a vicious circle of recruitment and leavers, a merry-go-round of personnel. When I started I was given two whole days with the WC who came out on the round with me and another chap who I was paired with, so with 3 bodies on a 2-man pairing we actually had time to train AND finish on time or slightly early, no stress. Then for the remainder of that week and the following two I was kept with that chap on the same job while I found my pace and feet.

The stress came when moving onto a new round having got used to throwing one frame off and one job, but mostly I was put with decent blokes who were quite tolerant, especially when they were told I could walk fast and didn't hang around, as the majority seemed to be believers in job-and-finish (as quick as effin' possible!)

Sadly you never got that far and I reckon that when more replies come for your post they will confirm the shambles that recruitment and retention seems to be now compared to when I was there up until 2016. Hope you find something more enjoyable soon.
2yearpostie
Posts: 1839
Joined: 03 Mar 2020, 15:36
Gender: Male

Re: Wake up team, you are losing your staff

Post by 2yearpostie »

HOPE SIMON SEES THESE POSTS
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12194
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Re: Wake up team, you are losing your staff

Post by SpacePhoenix »

In MCs for many years with new recruits once they've had the H&S and any other "ass covering" stuff it's been here's the work, here's the frame, get on with it
Bearcat@76
Posts: 26
Joined: 03 Jun 2022, 11:28
Gender: Male

Re: Wake up team, you are losing your staff

Post by Bearcat@76 »

Thank you for your replies, I'm so disappointed and feel let down, by day two i actually really enjoyed speaking to member's of the public when handing over parcels and post, I had a sense of pride that I worked for an iconic national brand. It's just a sham the training and attitude are not upto par.
Sir Henry
Posts: 1316
Joined: 24 Oct 2014, 00:33
Gender: Male

Re: Wake up team, you are losing your staff

Post by Sir Henry »

Don't forget to give a brutally honest critique of Royal Mail on any of the employee reviews of employers sites such as...

Glass Ceiling
Indeed
Vault
Career Bliss
Job Advisor
Kununu
RateMyEmployer
The Job Crowd
Comparably

Let others know what they may potentially face when joining the only asylum run by a board of inmates.
"A third of the world's farmland is now useless due to soil degradation, yet we still keep producing mouths to feed. And what's you answer to that? Energy saving lightbulbs?"
Acca Dacca
Posts: 3226
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 17:13
Gender: Male

Re: Wake up team, you are losing your staff

Post by Acca Dacca »

Bearcat@76 wrote: ↑
04 Jun 2022, 20:03
Thank you for your replies, I'm so disappointed and feel let down, by day two i actually really enjoyed speaking to member's of the public when handing over parcels and post, I had a sense of pride that I worked for an iconic national brand. It's just a sham the training and attitude are not upto par.
I'll be honest, I think you threw the towel in too early. It didnt sound like your experience was that bad. A manager telling you dont worry about making mistakes in the first 6 weeks and you gave it 2 days?
If you tolerate this, then your paid break will be next
iHateD2Ds
Posts: 548
Joined: 16 Apr 2008, 16:33

Re: Wake up team, you are losing your staff

Post by iHateD2Ds »

The job is a lot more involved that is was 25 years ago,the PDA is now our vital working tool.
Two days maybe a bit premature to jack in but first impressions count, maybe he was shocked to find how inept his training and attitude of his coach was.
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16709
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: Wake up team, you are losing your staff

Post by clashcityrocker »

iHateD2Ds wrote: ↑
05 Jun 2022, 08:12
... maybe he was shocked to find how inept his training and attitude of his coach was.
If he didn't already know that then he isn't much of a manager.
From my experience the WPC role would have been gifted to one of his besties and his incompetence and bad attitude won't disqualify him from continuing in that role.
Favouritism, gross unprofessionalism, incompetence - these are the things that keep the Royal Mail merry-go-round turning.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
Jahpostie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 318
Joined: 23 Aug 2018, 16:17
Gender: Male

Re: Wake up team, you are losing your staff

Post by Jahpostie »

I too am confused why you chucked it so quickly. You didn't even get to the point where you were thrown in the deep end on a walk on your own and had no experience of. Or given a partner who was rude and difficult to communicate with. I don't get it. You didn't get the "full" RM experience!
Bearcat@76
Posts: 26
Joined: 03 Jun 2022, 11:28
Gender: Male

Re: Wake up team, you are losing your staff

Post by Bearcat@76 »

Thanks for the replies, so day one was a complete shambles with no induction like I have explained in my above lengthy post. Day two I was issued with the PDA, we went out for delivery's and issued with a bag full of parcels and a bundle of post which to some extent I enjoyed, I know I made mistakes with the PDA but would of thought that I would have been shadowed by somebody else to go other things that I was unsure about. What I find strange is that they don't teach you about how to speak to a customer on the doorstep, what I have seen they just say parcel mate, now that's terrible no good morning or afternoon but maybe that's just me. I just wanted to get the proper training being inducted correctly and to have a decent work place coach, not make as many mistakes as you like for six weeks. This is not what RM customers want to hear. So I think by day two I had more than a gut full of the RM experience. Like I have said I enjoyed delivering and speaking to customers with no problem, the training and attitude from the work place coach was terrible.