ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Anyone knackered?
-
bustedflush
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1493
- Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
- Gender: Male
Re: Anyone knackered?
Sounds like osteo-arthritis to me. I had the same symptoms, eventually taking time off. Had x-rays which confirmed it, both knees and ankles. IHR was the end result. You only get so much cartilage, irrespective of supplements and diet. If you are wearing it away and it cannot recover you need to identify it right now as the rest of your life could be restricted physically if you don't. Luckily my symptoms disappeared overnight mainly due to becoming self-employed and working online from home, but I still get the odd jip of sharp pain behind a kneecap if running up the stairs or down sometimes when I forget, I can go out for walks of 2 or 3 miles on consecutive days and do other exercise without noticing any effects but I know if I did just one day of my old RM work now I would ache for a day or three afterwards.
I guess what I am saying is that by identifying it relatively quickly I was able to limit the permanent damage which means no restriction to ordinary life, by that I mean low to moderate exercise and stretching/bending while say gardening or working as opposed to being someone who likes pounding pavements jogging for hours at a time or who spends ages on rowing machines etc.
I hope I am wrong here as it spells the end of your RM career basically. It's just that I recognize the description of not wanting to get out of the chair once home from work in consideration of my legs and feet, even not going out on a Saturday night (when having worked that week) for over 4 years. All my time out of work was spent trying to 'relax' my limbs and feet ready for the next day. It's no way to live, so get it checked mate!
I guess what I am saying is that by identifying it relatively quickly I was able to limit the permanent damage which means no restriction to ordinary life, by that I mean low to moderate exercise and stretching/bending while say gardening or working as opposed to being someone who likes pounding pavements jogging for hours at a time or who spends ages on rowing machines etc.
I hope I am wrong here as it spells the end of your RM career basically. It's just that I recognize the description of not wanting to get out of the chair once home from work in consideration of my legs and feet, even not going out on a Saturday night (when having worked that week) for over 4 years. All my time out of work was spent trying to 'relax' my limbs and feet ready for the next day. It's no way to live, so get it checked mate!
-
Foxel
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 514
- Joined: 04 Oct 2021, 21:20
- Gender: Male
Re: Anyone knackered?
Torn ligaments in my ankle, wasn't given time to recover so it's never healed. Including knee pain from the same fall.
Shoulder impingement, again no time to heal.
Tennis Elbo.
Upper back pain.
And now my lower back freezing when I bend or sit for a few seconds,
Chronic migraines.
Cracks on my feet that make it painful to walk.
Cuts on my fingers caused by cold or wet weather.
Corns on my toes.
All relate to the job after over a year in service.
Apart from that, i'm all good.
As someone else said, protein shakes. Or just increase it in your diet. Your body needs it to prepare the damage done each day.
Shoulder impingement, again no time to heal.
Tennis Elbo.
Upper back pain.
And now my lower back freezing when I bend or sit for a few seconds,
Chronic migraines.
Cracks on my feet that make it painful to walk.
Cuts on my fingers caused by cold or wet weather.
Corns on my toes.
All relate to the job after over a year in service.
Apart from that, i'm all good.
As someone else said, protein shakes. Or just increase it in your diet. Your body needs it to prepare the damage done each day.
I'm turning purple!
-
twoloops
- Posts: 2039
- Joined: 24 May 2017, 20:52
- Gender: Male
- Location: Sheffield
Re: Anyone knackered?
Norris, go treat yourself to some nice Merrell walking trainers that cheap crap RM supply are not fit for purpose, you’ll be soon back on track 
-
mjd24
- Posts: 1409
- Joined: 11 May 2008, 18:48
Re: Anyone knackered?
Are we postmen and women or Olympic athletes?!blacov wrote: ↑21 May 2022, 05:26I agree if this is so bad you may want to consult it with a physio or maybe speak to a GP. Before you go this way make sure you wear proper footwear. Ditch royal mail ones and buy some quality trainers. I would strongly suggest to look at much sleep do you get and what you eat. Poor diet will slow your recovery. Lastly you may want to start stretching, pay particular attention to your hamstrings, quads, glutes, calves. You should have a 10-15min stretching session at least 5times a week. If this doesn't help go back to point 1. See a physio or GP.
Anyone else find it depressing that we’re having to do these things for our relatively low paid job?
Deliveries (most) are just too big now.
-
blacov
- Posts: 397
- Joined: 12 May 2019, 21:40
- Gender: Male
Re: Anyone knackered?
Well this is a good point. I must stress that although we are not athletes but looking after your body in a similar fashion will help us stay injury free for longer period of time. I understand that it is hard sometimes to find that extra energy to do any of that but it will pay off huge dividends in a long term. I noticed since I become more active after nearly 3years of bad diet, zero exercise that I recover slightly better and I managed to eliminate little pains here and there I used to experience often. Nowadays I occasionally feel like my legs are heavy and only after a heavy day, usually with loads of overtime. Lighter day or a rest day, some stretching, good hot bath in the evening it all goes away.mjd24 wrote: ↑22 May 2022, 15:12Are we postmen and women or Olympic athletes?!blacov wrote: ↑21 May 2022, 05:26I agree if this is so bad you may want to consult it with a physio or maybe speak to a GP. Before you go this way make sure you wear proper footwear. Ditch royal mail ones and buy some quality trainers. I would strongly suggest to look at much sleep do you get and what you eat. Poor diet will slow your recovery. Lastly you may want to start stretching, pay particular attention to your hamstrings, quads, glutes, calves. You should have a 10-15min stretching session at least 5times a week. If this doesn't help go back to point 1. See a physio or GP.
Anyone else find it depressing that we’re having to do these things for our relatively low paid job?
Deliveries (most) are just too big now.
-
Wolf91
- Posts: 506
- Joined: 06 Sep 2018, 17:22
- Gender: Male
Re: Anyone knackered?
I’m fine, Im 30. I found it hard at the start, but adapted quickly and fitness increased. That was about 5 years ago now.
Some days can Be tiring though.
Sounds obvious but eat well, take vitamins + supplements, sleep well, hydration. Salted baths if you can. Never surprises me how many people don’t even do the basics properly, especially hydration.
(not saying you personally but people in the office)
Some days can Be tiring though.
Sounds obvious but eat well, take vitamins + supplements, sleep well, hydration. Salted baths if you can. Never surprises me how many people don’t even do the basics properly, especially hydration.
(not saying you personally but people in the office)
-
aiden01
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 7001
- Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
- Gender: Male
Re: Anyone knackered?
Why should people have to do all this after doing a hard days work ffs. my best guess is most will not have the energy.Wolf91 wrote: ↑22 May 2022, 19:22I’m fine, Im 30. I found it hard at the start, but adapted quickly and fitness increased. That was about 5 years ago now.
Some days can Be tiring though.
Sounds obvious but eat well, take vitamins + supplements, sleep well, hydration. Salted baths if you can. Never surprises me how many people don’t even do the basics properly, especially hydration.
(not saying you personally but people in the office)
-
WalkerX
- Posts: 432
- Joined: 20 Feb 2021, 22:31
- Gender: Male
Re: Anyone knackered?
If you`re walking 10 + miles a day, and twisting/turning etc, then you pretty much are an athlete. Prepare accordingly. 7Seas JointCare works for me.
-
mjd24
- Posts: 1409
- Joined: 11 May 2008, 18:48
-
postslippete
- Posts: 4198
- Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
- Gender: Male
Re: Anyone knackered?
A good pair of shoes and a nice relaxing bed. Because if you're not in one, you're in the other.
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
-
WASD
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 375
- Joined: 03 Jul 2019, 12:15
- Gender: Male
Re: Anyone knackered?
The ones not from Amazon unless you want fakes, screw that business.
To OP. Walking slower makes a world of difference, decent shoes and socks, stretching twice a day, good diet...
I've done a lot of physio comprising of strengthening exercises, made zero difference, so i gave up.
Best choice long term is really a different job. It's sad but it's the truth. Look at most of the old boys in the job, they're almost cripples.
-
clashcityrocker
- Posts: 16709
- Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: strummerville
Re: Anyone knackered?
I find it quite tiring reading all the threads on how tiring the job is.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
-
Wolf91
- Posts: 506
- Joined: 06 Sep 2018, 17:22
- Gender: Male
Re: Anyone knackered?
You don’t have to. I’d do the same if I didn’t work at RM, apart from the baths. The rest is fundamental stuff for general health. What’s hard? Drinking water? Taking supplements? Sleeping enough?aiden01 wrote: ↑22 May 2022, 21:36Why should people have to do all this after doing a hard days work ffs. my best guess is most will not have the energy.Wolf91 wrote: ↑22 May 2022, 19:22I’m fine, Im 30. I found it hard at the start, but adapted quickly and fitness increased. That was about 5 years ago now.
Some days can Be tiring though.
Sounds obvious but eat well, take vitamins + supplements, sleep well, hydration. Salted baths if you can. Never surprises me how many people don’t even do the basics properly, especially hydration.
(not saying you personally but people in the office)
If people are complaining theyre knackered, it might be something to do with it.
-
nigelbeans
- Posts: 9
- Joined: 18 Dec 2012, 20:24
- Gender: Male
Re: Anyone knackered?
To which discount are you referring? I've had a quick look and saw The Protein Works and Myprotein. I'm asking because I don't want to miss any options when I decide where to buy it. Thanks for any help you can offer.
-
yubin282
- Posts: 994
- Joined: 25 Jul 2014, 19:18
- Gender: Male
Re: Anyone knackered?
My Protein - not sure if its a permanent offer but I got something like 40% off.nigelbeans wrote: ↑05 Jun 2022, 22:04To which discount are you referring? I've had a quick look and saw The Protein Works and Myprotein. I'm asking because I don't want to miss any options when I decide where to buy it. Thanks for any help you can offer.
They also have cashback offers too.