ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Just a Postie?
-
blacov
- Posts: 397
- Joined: 12 May 2019, 21:40
- Gender: Male
Re: Just a Postie?
I think you guys misunderstood my words slightly. I am not calling people lazy because they refuse to do any OT. In my office there are a lot of lazy people and even if they were asked to go over slightly they would give manager a lot of headache. These people generally are always behind with their kill offs and general tidiness of their frame is well below any acceptable standard.
On the other hand there are some very good posties who don't do overtime but occasionally when required they would stay out to clear and I salute these guys. If they are happy doing that, that's great.
Each of us have different situation. It is not the point to share any details of our personal circumstances and this is what makes us do or don't do certain things. Some need money to fund expensive lifestyle, cars on lease, gambling, parties or whatever. Some need money as they are just trying to pay rent in London and stay on top of their finances in case some unexpected happens. Some of us ,usually older generation have their mortgages nearly or already paid off. Their expenses are significantly lower than those renting privately. Some of us have wife/husband who earn very good wage or run a profitable business so they life very comfortably without a single hour of OT. Last group and I am not trying to patronise but again I speak from my experience, you have young generation often still in their 20s living sometimes still with their parents.
I am sure you guys talking about other people splashing on expensive lifestyle. You enjoy pretty decent ratio of income/expenses.
On the other hand there are some very good posties who don't do overtime but occasionally when required they would stay out to clear and I salute these guys. If they are happy doing that, that's great.
Each of us have different situation. It is not the point to share any details of our personal circumstances and this is what makes us do or don't do certain things. Some need money to fund expensive lifestyle, cars on lease, gambling, parties or whatever. Some need money as they are just trying to pay rent in London and stay on top of their finances in case some unexpected happens. Some of us ,usually older generation have their mortgages nearly or already paid off. Their expenses are significantly lower than those renting privately. Some of us have wife/husband who earn very good wage or run a profitable business so they life very comfortably without a single hour of OT. Last group and I am not trying to patronise but again I speak from my experience, you have young generation often still in their 20s living sometimes still with their parents.
I am sure you guys talking about other people splashing on expensive lifestyle. You enjoy pretty decent ratio of income/expenses.
-
HTPostman
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1507
- Joined: 01 Sep 2008, 23:53
- Gender: Male
Re: Just a Postie?
I’m really confused.
See, when blacov said ‘Those jus happy to the basic hours and having to extra job are either useless and lazy, semi retired or nearing retirement’ I got the crazy idea he/she meant those just doing basic hours and having no extra job are useless/lazy/semi or near retirement.
Apparently not.
Anyway there’s plenty of different types here. I fit in the ‘used to do lots of OT partly to help my bank balance and partly as a sense of duty to complete my round but now just can’t be arsed having seen all the crap flying our way from DOMs/customers/other posties/Terry and Dave so I just do my basic hours, have a fantastic work/life balance and besides don’t have that many years to retirement’ category.
See, when blacov said ‘Those jus happy to the basic hours and having to extra job are either useless and lazy, semi retired or nearing retirement’ I got the crazy idea he/she meant those just doing basic hours and having no extra job are useless/lazy/semi or near retirement.
Apparently not.
Anyway there’s plenty of different types here. I fit in the ‘used to do lots of OT partly to help my bank balance and partly as a sense of duty to complete my round but now just can’t be arsed having seen all the crap flying our way from DOMs/customers/other posties/Terry and Dave so I just do my basic hours, have a fantastic work/life balance and besides don’t have that many years to retirement’ category.
The day is gonna come when we’re all gonna have to testify.
526
526
-
WASD
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 375
- Joined: 03 Jul 2019, 12:15
- Gender: Male
Re: Just a Postie?
Again, i'm another different one. I don't care for the cash as i saved enough previously in old jobs where a mortgage isn't a burden, sadly energy bills are now though. I do overtime to keep managers off my back, but i'll happily cut corners as i'm not breaking myself anymore for those ***** up top after the CV bonus shambles.
-
sindba
- Posts: 1456
- Joined: 05 Feb 2012, 20:27
- Gender: Male
Re: Just a Postie?
What is it with posties always looking at fellow posties and judging, looking down?
" X is a docket king, Y is lazy, Z plays the sick procedure" etc etc.
None of us really know what's going on with other people's lives, so just get on with your own life, be kind and supportive to others, and if things are bad direct your disdain where it belongs - upwards.
Same goes for life generally, really. The newspapers are always trying to get us angry with some invented enemy: immigrants, the EU, benefit scroungers, gay people, blah blah. Because getting angry with each other prevents us being angry with the real culprits ie the arseholes in power.
Here endeth the lecture.
" X is a docket king, Y is lazy, Z plays the sick procedure" etc etc.
None of us really know what's going on with other people's lives, so just get on with your own life, be kind and supportive to others, and if things are bad direct your disdain where it belongs - upwards.
Same goes for life generally, really. The newspapers are always trying to get us angry with some invented enemy: immigrants, the EU, benefit scroungers, gay people, blah blah. Because getting angry with each other prevents us being angry with the real culprits ie the arseholes in power.
Here endeth the lecture.
-
yubin282
- Posts: 994
- Joined: 25 Jul 2014, 19:18
- Gender: Male
Re: Just a Postie?
I think van sharing has a lot to do with it, I genuinely didn't have a problem with anyone until I had to work with them.sindba wrote: ↑20 May 2022, 17:34What is it with posties always looking at fellow posties and judging, looking down?
" X is a docket king, Y is lazy, Z plays the sick procedure" etc etc.
None of us really know what's going on with other people's lives, so just get on with your own life, be kind and supportive to others, and if things are bad direct your disdain where it belongs - upwards.
Same goes for life generally, really. The newspapers are always trying to get us angry with some invented enemy: immigrants, the EU, benefit scroungers, gay people, blah blah. Because getting angry with each other prevents us being angry with the real culprits ie the arseholes in power.
Here endeth the lecture.
Unfortunately RM is littered with lazy useless bastards, all the managers problem of course.
-
WalkerX
- Posts: 432
- Joined: 20 Feb 2021, 22:31
- Gender: Male
Re: Just a Postie?
Preach.sindba wrote: ↑20 May 2022, 17:34What is it with posties always looking at fellow posties and judging, looking down?
" X is a docket king, Y is lazy, Z plays the sick procedure" etc etc.
None of us really know what's going on with other people's lives, so just get on with your own life, be kind and supportive to others, and if things are bad direct your disdain where it belongs - upwards.
Same goes for life generally, really. The newspapers are always trying to get us angry with some invented enemy: immigrants, the EU, benefit scroungers, gay people, blah blah. Because getting angry with each other prevents us being angry with the real culprits ie the arseholes in power.
Here endeth the lecture.
-
norris9
- Posts: 2696
- Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
- Gender: Female
Re: Just a Postie?
I do not envy the Posties who do overtime daily, but fair play to them for grinding. I am thankful that I am not in a position where I need to grind to make ends meet as the job kills me as it is.
Calling the ones who don't do overtime or don't have a second job 'lazy' is ridiculous. Some people simply don't need the extra income as they already made themselves financially secure so why would they spend their lives working working and working more.
Calling the ones who don't do overtime or don't have a second job 'lazy' is ridiculous. Some people simply don't need the extra income as they already made themselves financially secure so why would they spend their lives working working and working more.
-
Woody Guthrie
- Posts: 5166
- Joined: 29 Sep 2018, 20:47
- Gender: Male
Re: Just a Postie?
I guess what you have to understand is that if it wasn't for the guys who don't do overtime there would be a lot less overtime available for those that do need it.
Maybe we are lazy but at least we're not taking the food off someone else's plate.
Maybe we are lazy but at least we're not taking the food off someone else's plate.
Only dead fish follow the current
-
postieblueshirt
- Posts: 1241
- Joined: 01 Oct 2019, 22:05
- Gender: Male
Re: Just a Postie?
If your office was correctly staffed and run there wouldn't be overtime.
-
Woody Guthrie
- Posts: 5166
- Joined: 29 Sep 2018, 20:47
- Gender: Male
Re: Just a Postie?
That isn't actually true.postieblueshirt wrote: ↑21 May 2022, 05:28If your office was correctly staffed and run there wouldn't be overtime.
You can't staff an office based on the busiest day because there would be far too many excess hours when it wasn't busy.
That's what happens in an industry with a variable and largely unpredictable workload, the alternative is zero hour contracts or banking hours.
Only dead fish follow the current
-
hawkeye622
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 122
- Joined: 03 Jul 2019, 21:03
- Gender: Male
Re: Just a Postie?
I'm probably in the bracket of 'should be doing overtime' as I have a young family and we do live a bit close to the wire for my liking. I'm looking for a new job at the minute over doing more than my 32 hours in my office. For the first two of the three years I have worked in RM I came in early to prep, stayed on to do bulk/loops & worked my days off - but you soon realise the more you do the more you get shafted and the overtime becomes expected of you.
A guy in our DO works extra every day (mostly until 5 or 6pm), always works his day off and goes in (for free) 30 minutes early EVERY day. The thing is, he is one of the soundest people in the office & genuinely doesn't need the money. In other words, a managers dream
A guy in our DO works extra every day (mostly until 5 or 6pm), always works his day off and goes in (for free) 30 minutes early EVERY day. The thing is, he is one of the soundest people in the office & genuinely doesn't need the money. In other words, a managers dream
-
Tman
- Posts: 4146
- Joined: 21 Oct 2007, 09:57
-
Dorset Plodder
- Posts: 4351
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
- Gender: Male
Re: Just a Postie?
I can remember the times when a lot of people joined RM because they were getting away from High Pressure Jobs. We used to have quite a few who admitted they weren't making as much money as they used to but it was just nice having a job without so much stress, and they could just go home and leave it all behind.
I don't think the job's as Stress Free as it once once. For what it's worth I NEVER work for FREE! I normally have to book about an hour of Pressure a day (but my dutie's been Historically Oversize for years) The previous Duty Holder was an "Overtime Bandit" so the extra didn't bother him.
The extra hours don't bother me too much (money's always handy) but is does grate a bit when some characters are back early regularly, yet still grizzle about how much work they've got.
I don't think the job's as Stress Free as it once once. For what it's worth I NEVER work for FREE! I normally have to book about an hour of Pressure a day (but my dutie's been Historically Oversize for years) The previous Duty Holder was an "Overtime Bandit" so the extra didn't bother him.
The extra hours don't bother me too much (money's always handy) but is does grate a bit when some characters are back early regularly, yet still grizzle about how much work they've got.
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)