ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

My experience after one month in the job.

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
mjd24
Posts: 1409
Joined: 11 May 2008, 18:48

Re: My experience after one month in the job.

Post by mjd24 »

Woody Guthrie wrote: ↑
31 Mar 2022, 14:47
POSTMAN wrote: ↑
31 Mar 2022, 14:27
Super SI and don’t give them the worst route that no one wants to do -


Long term listener first time caller Si..
Love the show etc...

Just one question..
Who do you give the worst route to?

Thanks in advance

xx
All jobs are equal no?
Sir Henry
Posts: 1316
Joined: 24 Oct 2014, 00:33
Gender: Male

Re: My experience after one month in the job.

Post by Sir Henry »

I dunno anymore, maybe it's 'all walks are equal' as it has been since I started. But did I hear mention of "there will be winners and losers" since the revision? Suppose it depends which overpaid gobshite is talking.
"A third of the world's farmland is now useless due to soil degradation, yet we still keep producing mouths to feed. And what's you answer to that? Energy saving lightbulbs?"
Woody Guthrie
Posts: 5166
Joined: 29 Sep 2018, 20:47
Gender: Male

Re: My experience after one month in the job.

Post by Woody Guthrie »

I think we should make people run to a duty every morning, first one to get their arse on the seat gets it.

Put the easiest duties at the furthest corners of the office, do you take the risk to go for it or just grab any old seat?
It would be such fun. :Very Happy
Only dead fish follow the current
Acca Dacca
Posts: 3226
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 17:13
Gender: Male

Re: My experience after one month in the job.

Post by Acca Dacca »

Sir Henry wrote: ↑
31 Mar 2022, 17:32
I dunno anymore, maybe it's 'all walks are equal' as it has been since I started. But did I hear mention of "there will be winners and losers" since the revision? Suppose it depends which overpaid gobshite is talking.
Yeah but the ''winners'' were supposed to be those with duties already too long having them shortened ( :funneh good one ) and the ''losers'' those with shorter duties having stuff added
If you tolerate this, then your paid break will be next
Cucumber
Posts: 1052
Joined: 09 Dec 2018, 10:24
Gender: Female

Re: My experience after one month in the job.

Post by Cucumber »

Acca Dacca wrote: ↑
31 Mar 2022, 19:09
Sir Henry wrote: ↑
31 Mar 2022, 17:32
I dunno anymore, maybe it's 'all walks are equal' as it has been since I started. But did I hear mention of "there will be winners and losers" since the revision? Suppose it depends which overpaid gobshite is talking.
Yeah but the ''winners'' were supposed to be those with duties already too long having them shortened ( :funneh good one ) and the ''losers'' those with shorter duties having stuff added
I almost chuckle (as it's not funny anymore) with the promise that was made that workloads will become even/manageable and even the excuses given to keep certain status quos in place.
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32805
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Re: My experience after one month in the job.

Post by POSTMAN »

Woody Guthrie wrote: ↑
31 Mar 2022, 17:54
I think we should make people run to a duty every morning, first one to get their arse on the seat gets it.

Put the easiest duties at the furthest corners of the office, do you take the risk to go for it or just grab any old seat?
It would be such fun. :Very Happy
Image
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
Kenfandango
Posts: 694
Joined: 19 Oct 2021, 16:40
Gender: Male

Re: My experience after one month in the job.

Post by Kenfandango »

We know what the worst walks are as they're the ones with a part timer signed on, or an absorption/lapsing route.

In reply to the OP saying posties thinking it's the toughest job ever, I regularly have this conversation when dogs come up...

Me: prior to this I was a dog Warden and my wife is a vet, I doubt the bite risk is as high as either of those jobs
Postie: yeah? Well what if *insert dog vs postie horror story* then, eh?
Me: I had to deal with that multiple times a day, I could handle it
Postie: yeah I doubt it, there was this guy used to work here who... Etc etc
TopperGas
Posts: 3523
Joined: 13 Feb 2021, 22:46
Gender: Male

Re: My experience after one month in the job.

Post by TopperGas »

Handle what, being bitten by some random mad dog? I can't how anybody can handle being bitten.

I should imagine in this age of H&S a dog warden turns up in full protective gear if they are ever called out, not just in shorts and a T shirt. Although a dog warden knows the risks when they take on the job, not sure that applies to a postie.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: My experience after one month in the job.

Post by Dorset Plodder »

Woody Guthrie wrote: ↑
31 Mar 2022, 17:54
I think we should make people run to a duty every morning, first one to get their arse on the seat gets it. :left:

Put the easiest duties at the furthest corners of the office, do you take the risk to go for it or just grab any old seat?
It would be such fun.
:left:
I've often considered: They should put all the van keys in a bowl and you have a Lucky Dip when you sign in! :Very Happy Or I suppose the DOM could have a Bingo caller system where he announces which duty everyone's on that day. :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: My experience after one month in the job.

Post by Dorset Plodder »

Ian2726 wrote: ↑
15 Mar 2022, 11:19


I have been lucky so far that only had a couple of bad weather days and not had a day where I can't fit all the letters and packets in the trolley.
overall 3.5/5 stars would recommend.
Welcome to Royal Mail & RMC.

Although some of your comments rubbed some people up the wrong way I wouldn't feel the need to defend yourself. It's a "Discussion" Forum and a lot of people feel the need to vent about their problems, and often have a go at those with different opinions to them. :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: My experience after one month in the job.

Post by Dorset Plodder »

ArthurPewty wrote: ↑
19 Mar 2022, 12:21

You've ruffled a few feathers there :Very Happy !!
In principle I agree with you. The management try and make it as complicated as possible when in reality it is exactly what you say it is.
There are plenty on here who think the job is a 50/50 mix of brain surgeon and Olympic athlete when it really isnt.
:left:

I'm sure we all like to think we've got the hardest job in the world AP? :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)