ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

6 months at Royal Mail....

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
yubin282
Posts: 994
Joined: 25 Jul 2014, 19:18
Gender: Male

Re: 6 months at Royal Mail....

Post by yubin282 »

redneck wrote: ↑
09 Mar 2022, 21:51
It's still a better job than most, even though we're under more pressure and the way you are treated at times is a disgrace. No nights, afternoons. Weekly pay. Loads of time off. Tons of overtime if you want it (although you can get overlooked). I'm 13 years in and now work on my own, partly because few will work with me as I always take my breaks, therein lies part of the problem with your fellow workers.
Yes, there's at least 3 people who refuse to work with me because I take my break and don't race around like an idiot.
Jahpostie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 318
Joined: 23 Aug 2018, 16:17
Gender: Male

Re: 6 months at Royal Mail....

Post by Jahpostie »

Jack1960 wrote: ↑
10 Mar 2022, 16:35
twoloops wrote: ↑
10 Mar 2022, 15:38
I tell all new starters f you have the chance to get out quick, this jobs down the pan & it will get even worse.
Who are you to tell them? Probably another bitter disgruntled hate the job but probably unemployable anywhere else type , you sound like a right laugh
You're in the minority. We're talking about new starts here. I lasted nearly 3 years and if you can easily get out do it. Reserves are treated as nothing, less than nothing. I was in shock when I had a cold and didn't want to come in to work in my current office job. I was encouraged to stay away until better. At Royal Mail I was utterly hounded when I had a Physical injury. The workload for reserves in particular is staggering. Full timers with easy walks have no idea.
Jahpostie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 318
Joined: 23 Aug 2018, 16:17
Gender: Male

Re: 6 months at Royal Mail....

Post by Jahpostie »

yubin282 wrote: ↑
10 Mar 2022, 17:58
redneck wrote: ↑
09 Mar 2022, 21:51
It's still a better job than most, even though we're under more pressure and the way you are treated at times is a disgrace. No nights, afternoons. Weekly pay. Loads of time off. Tons of overtime if you want it (although you can get overlooked). I'm 13 years in and now work on my own, partly because few will work with me as I always take my breaks, therein lies part of the problem with your fellow workers.
Yes, there's at least 3 people who refuse to work with me because I take my break and don't race around like an idiot.
As a new start or reserve of a few years you don't get such opportunities as you are thrown with runners or are given walks with several days mail. It's easy to say do the job properly when you have your own walk and partner who thinks the same. Reserves don't have such luxury. They are shafted. As was I. It is hell.
Shaney7
Posts: 1
Joined: 11 May 2021, 19:27
Gender: Female

Re: 6 months at Royal Mail....

Post by Shaney7 »

Your post resonates greatly, I have been in the job 9 months now and am always faced with double mail, sometimes triple, it seems these types of deliveries are left for reserves to fill.
I have a double mail duty one day, having cleared that frame, the next day this frame will be lapsed and I will be moved to another frame which has double or triple mail.
The best thing we can do is to cut off and don't do any overtime so it is not finished, as the management just take advantage of us.
Jahpostie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 318
Joined: 23 Aug 2018, 16:17
Gender: Male

Re: 6 months at Royal Mail....

Post by Jahpostie »

Shaney7 wrote: ↑
10 Mar 2022, 18:33
Your post resonates greatly, I have been in the job 9 months now and am always faced with double mail, sometimes triple, it seems these types of deliveries are left for reserves to fill.
I have a double mail duty one day, having cleared that frame, the next day this frame will be lapsed and I will be moved to another frame which has double or triple mail.
The best thing we can do is to cut off and don't do any overtime so it is not finished, as the management just take advantage of us.
Cut off then you not only get managers on your back, but the duty holder. The next day I've had them screaming at me for not completing. Most walks are designed now so you always go over. You can't win. Postie against postie. The only way to win is to leave.
yubin282
Posts: 994
Joined: 25 Jul 2014, 19:18
Gender: Male

Re: 6 months at Royal Mail....

Post by yubin282 »

Jahpostie wrote: ↑
10 Mar 2022, 18:07
yubin282 wrote: ↑
10 Mar 2022, 17:58
redneck wrote: ↑
09 Mar 2022, 21:51
It's still a better job than most, even though we're under more pressure and the way you are treated at times is a disgrace. No nights, afternoons. Weekly pay. Loads of time off. Tons of overtime if you want it (although you can get overlooked). I'm 13 years in and now work on my own, partly because few will work with me as I always take my breaks, therein lies part of the problem with your fellow workers.
Yes, there's at least 3 people who refuse to work with me because I take my break and don't race around like an idiot.
As a new start or reserve of a few years you don't get such opportunities as you are thrown with runners or are given walks with several days mail. It's easy to say do the job properly when you have your own walk and partner who thinks the same. Reserves don't have such luxury. They are shafted. As was I. It is hell.
I am a reserve.
Jahpostie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 318
Joined: 23 Aug 2018, 16:17
Gender: Male

Re: 6 months at Royal Mail....

Post by Jahpostie »

yubin282 wrote: ↑
10 Mar 2022, 19:13
Jahpostie wrote: ↑
10 Mar 2022, 18:07
yubin282 wrote: ↑
10 Mar 2022, 17:58
redneck wrote: ↑
09 Mar 2022, 21:51
It's still a better job than most, even though we're under more pressure and the way you are treated at times is a disgrace. No nights, afternoons. Weekly pay. Loads of time off. Tons of overtime if you want it (although you can get overlooked). I'm 13 years in and now work on my own, partly because few will work with me as I always take my breaks, therein lies part of the problem with your fellow workers.
Yes, there's at least 3 people who refuse to work with me because I take my break and don't race around like an idiot.
As a new start or reserve of a few years you don't get such opportunities as you are thrown with runners or are given walks with several days mail. It's easy to say do the job properly when you have your own walk and partner who thinks the same. Reserves don't have such luxury. They are shafted. As was I. It is hell.
I am a reserve.
That's nice. Good to hear you're managing to do it your way. We're not all made of stone.
Jack1960
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 333
Joined: 05 Jan 2016, 17:39
Gender: Male

Re: 6 months at Royal Mail....

Post by Jack1960 »

I've been a delivery postman for well over 40 years , I choose to be a reserve, still get sent to other offices , doesn't bother me .
So I still see it from a new starters point of view, when I do go to.other offices I still don't see some of the scenarios that are on here.
Will say for the last time at least give it a go through spring and summer , if it's not for you after that well good luck.
BarryTorso
Posts: 15
Joined: 01 Sep 2021, 23:12
Gender: Male

Re: 6 months at Royal Mail....

Post by BarryTorso »

I'm at the same 6 month mark and it has been a relentless first stint in the job. My first day nobody had a clue I was supposed to be starting. I got offered a float within the first month or 2. Little did I know at that point it was available because nobody wanted to go near it. It consists of the biggest walk in the office a rural & 3 late collections per week. Of course, management think it's entirely possible to roll in at 10am and complete such walks, so I bet I have worked dozens of unpaid hours just trying to give myself a fighting chance of competing, also sacrificing any break quite often before collections. Time issue has been reported to management but fallen on deaf ears.

As far as the job itself I feel I have taken to it well and feel like I've got upto a really good pace now. I personally feel that a hell of a lot of RM staff who moan about the job and say there's far better opportunities out there really don't see how good they have it. These are the same long term staff who complete in good time daily and have their feet up while I'm still half way round a rural with late collection to come. I feel new starters are put under immense pressure and can see why so many quit. Also nearly everything about the job I've had to find out for myself by asking others and bringing things up with management. That said I'm glad to have weathered the first 6 months and am certainly going to see out as long as possible as long as its bearable as I do feel better within myself working outdoors plus the money isn't bad at all.
TopperGas
Posts: 3523
Joined: 13 Feb 2021, 22:46
Gender: Male

Re: 6 months at Royal Mail....

Post by TopperGas »

BarryTorso wrote: ↑
11 Mar 2022, 00:24
I'm at the same 6 month mark and it has been a relentless first stint in the job. My first day nobody had a clue I was supposed to be starting. I got offered a float within the first month or 2. Little did I know at that point it was available because nobody wanted to go near it. It consists of the biggest walk in the office a rural & 3 late collections per week. Of course, management think it's entirely possible to roll in at 10am and complete such walks, so I bet I have worked dozens of unpaid hours just trying to give myself a fighting chance of competing, also sacrificing any break quite often before collections. Time issue has been reported to management but fallen on deaf ears.

As far as the job itself I feel I have taken to it well and feel like I've got upto a really good pace now. I personally feel that a hell of a lot of RM staff who moan about the job and say there's far better opportunities out there really don't see how good they have it. These are the same long term staff who complete in good time daily and have their feet up while I'm still half way round a rural with late collection to come. I feel new starters are put under immense pressure and can see why so many quit. Also nearly everything about the job I've had to find out for myself by asking others and bringing things up with management. That said I'm glad to have weathered the first 6 months and am certainly going to see out as long as possible as long as its bearable as I do feel better within myself working outdoors plus the money isn't bad at all.
Why do you do that, if the rounds not completed then it's the manager's problem not yours?
Wolf91
Posts: 506
Joined: 06 Sep 2018, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: 6 months at Royal Mail....

Post by Wolf91 »

BarryTorso wrote: ↑
11 Mar 2022, 00:24
I'm at the same 6 month mark and it has been a relentless first stint in the job. My first day nobody had a clue I was supposed to be starting. I got offered a float within the first month or 2. Little did I know at that point it was available because nobody wanted to go near it. It consists of the biggest walk in the office a rural & 3 late collections per week. Of course, management think it's entirely possible to roll in at 10am and complete such walks, so I bet I have worked dozens of unpaid hours just trying to give myself a fighting chance of competing, also sacrificing any break quite often before collections. Time issue has been reported to management but fallen on deaf ears.

As far as the job itself I feel I have taken to it well and feel like I've got upto a really good pace now. I personally feel that a hell of a lot of RM staff who moan about the job and say there's far better opportunities out there really don't see how good they have it. These are the same long term staff who complete in good time daily and have their feet up while I'm still half way round a rural with late collection to come. I feel new starters are put under immense pressure and can see why so many quit. Also nearly everything about the job I've had to find out for myself by asking others and bringing things up with management. That said I'm glad to have weathered the first 6 months and am certainly going to see out as long as possible as long as its bearable as I do feel better within myself working outdoors plus the money isn't bad at all.
Seriously, Claim every minute over your contracted hours. You’re doing the screws a favour by working for free, it also skews office figures. But book those hours OT it’s the least you can do if you’re prepared to work it. Fair play for sticking it out.
I have a good office at my place, I’m on my own on rurals and decent town walks most the time, never finished later than 1 usually and a Wellington every 6th week. Manager is sound too.
A lot depends on your office and management. If you’re in an awful office with terrible walks and a bullying manager it would Be hell.
priority102
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 520
Joined: 04 Aug 2009, 18:57
Gender: Female

Re: 6 months at Royal Mail....

Post by priority102 »

If you've got the chance to go back to a job and employer you already know for better terms, take it!

Getting your own walk may take years, when they're advertised it will be done on seniority and at only 6 months service you will be way down the list - the only way you'll get your own walk is if it is a totally crap walk that no one else wants.

If you're not convinced this far in you never will be now!
xPandabear1992x
Posts: 286
Joined: 29 Jul 2019, 00:49
Gender: Male

Re: 6 months at Royal Mail....

Post by xPandabear1992x »

Check the new postie’s tips thread.

And for the love of god never listen to:

Johnny Come Floating: managers who insist it’s doable and anyone else can do it, no matter if it’s been in for 6 days.

Career Crusties: “I’ve been doing it for 30 years. Its a s**t job. They never used to make us do parcels.” Despite going on to tell you how bad they’ve been treated, they’ve got an easy round and repeatedly get everything taken off them so they can come back at 12.
norris9
Posts: 2696
Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
Gender: Female

Re: 6 months at Royal Mail....

Post by norris9 »

it's normal for new starters to get moved around, you just have to wait for a round to come up to pick into.

the problem for me when I was a reserve is that the managers don't say anything to you.... you come in and see you are on X job and you go to it and the frame is either empty or there is 2 days mail.... no manager comes to you and says sorry and is understanding....they just avoid you and hope you take the whole round out. Also, once you have prepped you round and you tell them you want to finish on time they make out it's completable in the time.
TopperGas
Posts: 3523
Joined: 13 Feb 2021, 22:46
Gender: Male

Re: 6 months at Royal Mail....

Post by TopperGas »

norris9 wrote: ↑
21 Mar 2022, 09:01
it's normal for new starters to get moved around, you just have to wait for a round to come up to pick into.

the problem for me when I was a reserve is that the managers don't say anything to you.... you come in and see you are on X job and you go to it and the frame is either empty or there is 2 days mail.... no manager comes to you and says sorry and is understanding....they just avoid you and hope you take the whole round out. Also, once you have prepped you round and you tell them you want to finish on time they make out it's completable in the time.
The easy solution is make a point of asking the manager in advance to make sure he arranges for the round to be preped, hopefully, they'll then arrange to get it preped, if they don't, you've got a good excuse lined up if you can't complete the round.