ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Hgv driving scheme

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
sixfoottwo
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 569
Joined: 11 May 2017, 15:15
Gender: Male

Re: Hgv driving scheme

Post by sixfoottwo »

Nickvilla20 wrote: ↑
08 Mar 2022, 21:07
blacov wrote: ↑
08 Mar 2022, 20:54
Nickvilla20 wrote: ↑
08 Mar 2022, 19:33
2214MN wrote: ↑
08 Mar 2022, 19:09
Nickvilla20 wrote: ↑
08 Mar 2022, 17:45
I’ve been offered a place on the training scheme. Seems a lot of stipulations to it from what I’m seeing in the contract. Seems to be only up to 7.5 tonne initially.
How many years seniority do you have Nick?

Sounds like they are finally getting somewhere
Close to 20 years. Not sure if it done on seniority or not.
If this is the condition and it only goes to 7.5t initially. If I am not selected I won't be crying. It doesn't seem that attractive especially the obligation to cover ANY duty within an hour from where you live.
I thought they would have put you straight to Class 2 would be more attractive then. Doing it to become a general dogs body reserve working a mix of earlies, lates and nights then I think I’ll give it a miss. With the Mail centre being about half hour drive away compared to my 5 minute journey now I don’t think it’s personally worth it for me.
In the same boat buddy and not sure if I'll bother now with it tbh.

I am quite senior in my office with my own duty etc so not sure it be worth the hassle especially if your gonna get kicked from one mail centre to the next working lates/nights etc etc.
2214MN
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 49
Joined: 03 Jun 2016, 16:53
Gender: Male

Re: Hgv driving scheme

Post by 2214MN »

Finally got the email saying I was unsuccessful!

Funny timing as I’m off to a driving assessment today for an LGV driving apprenticeship with a supermarket.

10 years at Royal Mail and still so hard to make any progression with the company.
sixfoottwo
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 569
Joined: 11 May 2017, 15:15
Gender: Male

Re: Hgv driving scheme

Post by sixfoottwo »

Same, not enough demand in my area apparently.
blacov
Posts: 397
Joined: 12 May 2019, 21:40
Gender: Male

Re: Hgv driving scheme

Post by blacov »

sixfoottwo wrote: ↑
15 Mar 2022, 10:53
Same, not enough demand in my area apparently.
Exactly the same in my case. Won't be crying either way as in my opinion there were too many strings attached anyway. At least this year seems to be finally back to normal, pre covid workloads.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12195
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Re: Hgv driving scheme

Post by SpacePhoenix »

blacov wrote: ↑
15 Mar 2022, 14:41
At least this year seems to be finally back to normal, pre covid workloads.
Wave 2 mech letters are down a fair bit. Used to be just Mondays where you'd get the odd batch which was barely worth walk sorting, now happens quite often. Some wave 2 batches now are so small, it's very tempting to just send them as manual