ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Goodbye Royal Mail
-
priority102
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 520
- Joined: 04 Aug 2009, 18:57
- Gender: Female
Re: Goodbye Royal Mail
This time last year I would never have dreamed that I'd be working for another employer a year on. But after 25 years as a postie I am and I haven't looked back once. I love Friday's now, getting home early afternoon and finished until Monday.
Last edited by priority102 on 26 Feb 2022, 21:13, edited 1 time in total.
-
dan3mitch
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 22
- Joined: 20 Feb 2019, 19:37
- Gender: Male
Re: Goodbye Royal Mail
total game changer isnt it the freedom you feel when you have structure i left a while back and have never looked back, my body is healed and my mind is back to actually enjoying lifepriority102 wrote: ↑25 Feb 2022, 21:03This time last year I would never have dreamed that I'd be working for another employer a year on. But after 25 years as a postie I am and I literally haven't looked back once. I love Friday's now, getting home early afternoon and finished until Monday.
-
amhopkins1
- Posts: 33
- Joined: 12 Apr 2018, 19:46
- Gender: Male
Re: Goodbye Royal Mail
I'm thinking the same, been here just over 5 years and I'm knackered all the time. Only thing stopping me is I have no idea what to do in to, with limited skills. Just out of interest what kind of jobs have people on here gone in to? Cheers
-
postslippete
- Posts: 4198
- Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
- Gender: Male
Re: Goodbye Royal Mail
CillitBang wrote: ↑24 Feb 2022, 19:34Going to be working at the council.
I'd just had enough really, mostly of being treated terribly by management and the completely unmanageable workloads. It's far different than when I first started when we'd get finished early if we put in the hard work. The last two years have just exacerbated all the issues RM already had. I walked out a day back in October, due to a number of reasons and have been signed off since - with almost weekly contact from the DOM adding to my stress! At one point they were trying to stop paying me etc.
Thanks for the well wishes.
Good luck for the future CillitBang
I've had a stinker of a week. Against my better judgement I helped the "team" out over Xmas by coming in early on IPS at the gaffers request but now we are back to double lapsing I thought to myself "why on earth am I coming in early just so that the manager can get us out earlier and lapse more duties??"
It means that I'm working harder and longer than ever. Is it any wonder why staff burn out or go on sick leave?
So I come in at my usual time to put mail in my frame whilst everyone else who either came in early or had their mail put in is tie-ing up and has got time to manage their lapse but I haven't!!
The job is f**ked up in so many ways
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
-
CillitBang
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 67
- Joined: 14 Jun 2013, 15:38
- Gender: Female
Re: Goodbye Royal Mail
Thanks for all the messages. Starting the new job on Monday - a wee bit nervous after so long at Royal Mail, I'm sure it will be very different!
The job is a 4 on 4 off shift pattern day and nights so that'll be something to adjust to!
Good luck to all looking for a new job or deciding to stay!!
The job is a 4 on 4 off shift pattern day and nights so that'll be something to adjust to!
Good luck to all looking for a new job or deciding to stay!!
-
Munchboii
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 261
- Joined: 15 Oct 2019, 21:25
- Gender: Male
Re: Goodbye Royal Mail
Good luck to you, I was similar. Started at 20 and did 3 years before quiting.
The job is not worth the effort anymore. Could not do it for another 45 years with todays workloads.
So many jobs out there now with less stress and more benefits for the same pay.
The job is not worth the effort anymore. Could not do it for another 45 years with todays workloads.
So many jobs out there now with less stress and more benefits for the same pay.
-
aiden01
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 7001
- Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
- Gender: Male
Re: Goodbye Royal Mail
Only 3 years in an the jobs not worth the effort anymore seriously??
-
Munchboii
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 261
- Joined: 15 Oct 2019, 21:25
- Gender: Male
Re: Goodbye Royal Mail
-
mjd24
- Posts: 1409
- Joined: 11 May 2008, 18:48
Re: Goodbye Royal Mail
3 years? You never even got started boy!
-
Haditup
- Posts: 195
- Joined: 27 Nov 2020, 07:08
- Gender: Male
Re: Goodbye Royal Mail
-
Bigjj
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 40
- Joined: 17 Jan 2018, 21:04
- Gender: Male
Re: Goodbye Royal Mail
Definitely! Been so far off retirement why would you invest many more years in a job you hate just to change even later? May as well go as soon as something worth a shot at comes up. Did 8years myself and enjoyed it until last couple of years and so with still over 30years till I can officially retire I may as well give something else a shot.
-
postiewhite
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 619
- Joined: 23 Jul 2013, 18:38
- Gender: Male
Re: Goodbye Royal Mail
I have also been with Royal Mail for shy of 9 years. For 8 of those years I have worked 5 days a week but we recently had a big revision in our office, im on 30 hr contract and was given the option of moving to a full time contract but there were two P/T 30 hr four day duties up for grabs which I had my eye on working Monday, Tuesday, Friday and Saturday so I purposely did not want the extra contract as it would give me a good chance of jumping to this cover,. Anyway I officially signed for this cover a few months ago and you will never believe how much difference it makes to your working week. Okay, I rejected an extra 5hrs on my contract but this job will get you in the end especially on a 5 day week.
Fellow colleagues (younger than me) would never want the deal I have because they would never get a saturday off. But lets face it, I get an extra 52 days off a year and I only lose out on 8-12 Saturdays a year.
Our bodies are not made to do this amount of walking for 5 days a week and although I wont get a saturday off I still finish at 1.30pm until monday so who cares?! I was getting regular shin splints, knees hurting etc, all of which have subsided now because I never work them busy two midweek days. Im happy to have a bit less money for better health.
I also had a mate at work leave RM a few months ago to work on the bins. These shifts are 37hrs over 4 days with a Saturday, Sunday and Monday off plus job and knock. He told me they never have contacts with managers and when they are finished they go home. He worked no more than 28hrs last week and got paid for 37. This crack has been going on for years and although its not all bed and roses he said it is definitely better and less stressful than RM.
If I ever have to go back to 5 days I will jump ship and get on the bins.
Fellow colleagues (younger than me) would never want the deal I have because they would never get a saturday off. But lets face it, I get an extra 52 days off a year and I only lose out on 8-12 Saturdays a year.
Our bodies are not made to do this amount of walking for 5 days a week and although I wont get a saturday off I still finish at 1.30pm until monday so who cares?! I was getting regular shin splints, knees hurting etc, all of which have subsided now because I never work them busy two midweek days. Im happy to have a bit less money for better health.
I also had a mate at work leave RM a few months ago to work on the bins. These shifts are 37hrs over 4 days with a Saturday, Sunday and Monday off plus job and knock. He told me they never have contacts with managers and when they are finished they go home. He worked no more than 28hrs last week and got paid for 37. This crack has been going on for years and although its not all bed and roses he said it is definitely better and less stressful than RM.
If I ever have to go back to 5 days I will jump ship and get on the bins.
-
Jahpostie
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 318
- Joined: 23 Aug 2018, 16:17
- Gender: Male
Re: Goodbye Royal Mail
It's not a job worth having now for new starts. Absolute drudgery with no benefits for recent part timers.
-
HTPostman
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1507
- Joined: 01 Sep 2008, 23:53
- Gender: Male
Re: Goodbye Royal Mail
For a minute then I had to check who’d written that because I thought it was me! I’m the exact same as you, used to 5/6 days a week, now on 4 day week with Wednesday/Thursday off.postiewhite wrote: ↑07 Mar 2022, 18:10I have also been with Royal Mail for shy of 9 years. For 8 of those years I have worked 5 days a week but we recently had a big revision in our office, im on 30 hr contract and was given the option of moving to a full time contract but there were two P/T 30 hr four day duties up for grabs which I had my eye on working Monday, Tuesday, Friday and Saturday so I purposely did not want the extra contract as it would give me a good chance of jumping to this cover,. Anyway I officially signed for this cover a few months ago and you will never believe how much difference it makes to your working week. Okay, I rejected an extra 5hrs on my contract but this job will get you in the end especially on a 5 day week.
Fellow colleagues (younger than me) would never want the deal I have because they would never get a saturday off. But lets face it, I get an extra 52 days off a year and I only lose out on 8-12 Saturdays a year.
Our bodies are not made to do this amount of walking for 5 days a week and although I wont get a saturday off I still finish at 1.30pm until monday so who cares?! I was getting regular shin splints, knees hurting etc, all of which have subsided now because I never work them busy two midweek days. Im happy to have a bit less money for better health.
I also had a mate at work leave RM a few months ago to work on the bins. These shifts are 37hrs over 4 days with a Saturday, Sunday and Monday off plus job and knock. He told me they never have contacts with managers and when they are finished they go home. He worked no more than 28hrs last week and got paid for 37. This crack has been going on for years and although its not all bed and roses he said it is definitely better and less stressful than RM.
If I ever have to go back to 5 days I will jump ship and get on the bins.
There were about 20 of these contracts available but only about 5 were taken, completely understand people need the money nowadays with price rises across every sector but just having those days off makes a huge difference.
If I’m having a bad day I know either today or tomorrow is my last day before at least a day off because I’m only ever doing 2 days at a time. Plus I’m missing the 2 busiest days of the work, makes such a big change coming back in on a Friday feeling refreshed instead of exhausted.
The way I see my working week is this:
Monday - usually the 2nd quietest day of the week and I’ve had the previous day off anyway.
Tuesday - usually the quietest day of the week and I know once I’m done I’m not in while Friday.
Friday - Can be a busy day but I’m coming off a 2 day break. Oh and I’ve just got paid!
Saturday - again often a busy day but with business retentions and everyone just wanting to get done it’s usually a quick day. It’s never bothered me that much working Saturday because our finish times are 2pm.
I wouldn’t change it for an extra £50/60 in my pay and like you if I was made to go back to 5 days I’d look for another job.
The day is gonna come when we’re all gonna have to testify.
526
526
-
postiewhite
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 619
- Joined: 23 Jul 2013, 18:38
- Gender: Male
Re: Goodbye Royal Mail
Definitely how I think. Im 50 next and im maybe 4yrs from my mortgage ending so this will do for me. If I was in my 30s with a big mortgage around my neck id have snapped their hands off for full time. Had I have taken FT then id be stuck on this for years and when im about 55 its probably the time to be winding down on this job anyway. If I did need the money I can work both of my days off and get 46hrs in but that will be on my terms not theirs. Basically im controlling the situationHTPostman wrote: ↑08 Mar 2022, 09:00For a minute then I had to check who’d written that because I thought it was me! I’m the exact same as you, used to 5/6 days a week, now on 4 day week with Wednesday/Thursday off.postiewhite wrote: ↑07 Mar 2022, 18:10I have also been with Royal Mail for shy of 9 years. For 8 of those years I have worked 5 days a week but we recently had a big revision in our office, im on 30 hr contract and was given the option of moving to a full time contract but there were two P/T 30 hr four day duties up for grabs which I had my eye on working Monday, Tuesday, Friday and Saturday so I purposely did not want the extra contract as it would give me a good chance of jumping to this cover,. Anyway I officially signed for this cover a few months ago and you will never believe how much difference it makes to your working week. Okay, I rejected an extra 5hrs on my contract but this job will get you in the end especially on a 5 day week.
Fellow colleagues (younger than me) would never want the deal I have because they would never get a saturday off. But lets face it, I get an extra 52 days off a year and I only lose out on 8-12 Saturdays a year.
Our bodies are not made to do this amount of walking for 5 days a week and although I wont get a saturday off I still finish at 1.30pm until monday so who cares?! I was getting regular shin splints, knees hurting etc, all of which have subsided now because I never work them busy two midweek days. Im happy to have a bit less money for better health.
I also had a mate at work leave RM a few months ago to work on the bins. These shifts are 37hrs over 4 days with a Saturday, Sunday and Monday off plus job and knock. He told me they never have contacts with managers and when they are finished they go home. He worked no more than 28hrs last week and got paid for 37. This crack has been going on for years and although its not all bed and roses he said it is definitely better and less stressful than RM.
If I ever have to go back to 5 days I will jump ship and get on the bins.
There were about 20 of these contracts available but only about 5 were taken, completely understand people need the money nowadays with price rises across every sector but just having those days off makes a huge difference.
If I’m having a bad day I know either today or tomorrow is my last day before at least a day off because I’m only ever doing 2 days at a time. Plus I’m missing the 2 busiest days of the work, makes such a big change coming back in on a Friday feeling refreshed instead of exhausted.
The way I see my working week is this:
Monday - usually the 2nd quietest day of the week and I’ve had the previous day off anyway.
Tuesday - usually the quietest day of the week and I know once I’m done I’m not in while Friday.
Friday - Can be a busy day but I’m coming off a 2 day break. Oh and I’ve just got paid!
Saturday - again often a busy day but with business retentions and everyone just wanting to get done it’s usually a quick day. It’s never bothered me that much working Saturday because our finish times are 2pm.
I wouldn’t change it for an extra £50/60 in my pay and like you if I was made to go back to 5 days I’d look for another job.