ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

MRM.COM : Colleagues on delivery will have noticed that more and more customers have fitted smart doorbells.

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
pex
Posts: 59
Joined: 27 Nov 2017, 19:02
Gender: Male

Re: MRM.COM : Colleagues on delivery will have noticed that more and more customers have fitted smart doorbells.

Post by pex »

Would it not be simpler if customers bought a secure parcel drop box instead of a door bell gadget that I estimate only 50% are working when I
try to use them.
A drop box would also help us at dwellings where the letterbox is placed 1 inch from the ground.
claretandblue
Posts: 914
Joined: 01 Aug 2007, 12:14

Re: MRM.COM : Colleagues on delivery will have noticed that more and more customers have fitted smart doorbells.

Post by claretandblue »

Don't press them, simples. If it's motion activated, ignore it.
Surreypostie
Posts: 999
Joined: 04 Aug 2013, 21:05
Gender: Male

Re: MRM.COM : Colleagues on delivery will have noticed that more and more customers have fitted smart doorbells.

Post by Surreypostie »

I've given up using them, I bang on the door, I got fed up with explaining to people that were on the loo or in the bath and couldn't come to the door that I am not going to leave their parcel on the doorstep. I can't be accused of being rude if I don't say anything. I might be deaf for all they know.
smartin1982
Posts: 153
Joined: 03 Sep 2020, 16:32
Gender: Male

Re: MRM.COM : Colleagues on delivery will have noticed that more and more customers have fitted smart doorbells.

Post by smartin1982 »

I steer well clear as last time I pressed one I had someone telling me “to hang on and wait, I’m just 5 minutes away”

No. Bye.

I also had a bloke who’d only set it up to ring on his phone so nobody in the house knew there was someone at the door if he was out. . Genius

If you’re in the house, you’re going to hear me knock. Simple.

If they want to shout through them while I’m there I just pretend I don’t hear.

What can they possibly say that’s helpful anyway? They’re just going to ask you to leave it somewhere you shouldn’t . If there’s a safe place I’d have used it, if there’s a neighbour I’d have tried, I can’t leave it anywhere unsafe if I’m doing it properly. 😬
It’s just going to get you into arguments.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72754
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: MRM.COM : Colleagues on delivery will have noticed that more and more customers have fitted smart doorbells.

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

zombiepostman wrote: ↑
25 Jan 2022, 16:39
Can someone tell me why its ok that i get filmed delivering to a property, but i must make sure when i take a picture of a packet at someones door i must not get the customer in it?
It's about the expectation of privacy. If you are a postie working outdoors in public, there is no reasonable expectation of privacy, if you are at home then your privacy should be respected. This means unfortunately that they can under most circumstances take videos or pictures of us without permission, but we can't do the same, even if you are both in the exact same spot in both circumstances.

From one such complaint back in 2014 https://www.ipso.co.uk/rulings-and-reso ... d=03105-14
Turning to address the complaint under Clause 3 (Privacy), whilst the Committee recognised that public roads are part of a postman’s place of work, the CCTV photographs were not taken in a place where Mr Jones had a reasonable expectation of privacy, nor did they reveal private information.
Though this was an IPSO complaint the general ruling stands.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Cucumber
Posts: 1052
Joined: 09 Dec 2018, 10:24
Gender: Female

Re: MRM.COM : Colleagues on delivery will have noticed that more and more customers have fitted smart doorbells.

Post by Cucumber »

People are spending hundreds of £ on these doorbells that rarely get used yet they could leave an unlocked padlock on their shed for you to lock once parcel put in it.
Why isn't there a big push for parcel boxes? Is it the installation that's the problem? Or are they too unsightly?
A metal 2 foot cubed box that latches when closed bolted to a garage or something.
Sir Henry
Posts: 1316
Joined: 24 Oct 2014, 00:33
Gender: Male

Re: MRM.COM : Colleagues on delivery will have noticed that more and more customers have fitted smart doorbells.

Post by Sir Henry »

Always dodge these Ring bells like the plague, I knock like I always do. I'll only press them as a last resort. As has already been said, they're an open invitation to look like you're having a heated discussion with a closed door.

"No, sorry I can't do that, it's not secure."
"Then your usual postie is going against everything they've been repeatedly told"
"They're not in I'm afraid."
"You can have it redelivered or left at a post office"
"Sorry you'll have to to do that online or by phone"
Etc etc ad nauseum
"A third of the world's farmland is now useless due to soil degradation, yet we still keep producing mouths to feed. And what's you answer to that? Energy saving lightbulbs?"
User avatar
Sundodger
Posts: 59
Joined: 02 Aug 2021, 19:08
Gender: Male

Re: MRM.COM : Colleagues on delivery will have noticed that more and more customers have fitted smart doorbells.

Post by Sundodger »

I detest those Ring doorbells, the number of times I have pressed the things and they are never answered only to find out that they may make that dreaded ringing tone, but they don't have adequate battery power to alert the system or phone they are linked to.

Now regardless of the type of doorbell, I will always knock and use the bell,
Everything will be OK in the end, If it's not OK, then its not the end.
Acca Dacca
Posts: 3226
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 17:13
Gender: Male

Re: MRM.COM : Colleagues on delivery will have noticed that more and more customers have fitted smart doorbells.

Post by Acca Dacca »

Cucumber wrote: ↑
26 Jan 2022, 14:53
People are spending hundreds of £ on these doorbells that rarely get used yet they could leave an unlocked padlock on their shed for you to lock once parcel put in it.
Why isn't there a big push for parcel boxes? Is it the installation that's the problem? Or are they too unsightly?
A metal 2 foot cubed box that latches when closed bolted to a garage or something.
Thats not much use when there are so many different couriers delivering - would just be a case of whoever is first to the box gets rid
If you tolerate this, then your paid break will be next
combo_king
Posts: 96
Joined: 06 Jan 2012, 22:40
Gender: Male

Re: MRM.COM : Colleagues on delivery will have noticed that more and more customers have fitted smart doorbells.

Post by combo_king »

I recently got called ‘a f***ing idiot’ from a customer over one.. After the 1st request to leave on doorstep ‘no’ 2nd request to leave on back step ‘no’ and 3rd request to bring there bin of the street and put it in there… another added to the 739 for ever club.. neighbours on both sides are never in so trying neighbour wasn’t an option. Nothing but grief with these things