ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

"it'll get better after Christmas," they said

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: "it'll get better after Christmas," they said

Post by krussel »

SpacePhoenix wrote: ↑
09 Jan 2022, 12:33
It's down to the way the Bank Holidays fell combined with the weekends.

Week Beginning 20th Dec you had 4 days with people sending mail and mail being delivered with nothing being sent or delivered on the Saturday.

Week Beginning 27th Dec you had 3 days with people sending mail and mail being delivered with nothing being delivered on the Saturday

Week Beginning 3rd Jan you had 4 days with people sending mail and mail being delivered.

Over a total of what would normally be 18 days when people send mail and mail gets delivered you lost 5 days.

After Xmas eve for companies that send out lots of stuff and up to and including the 29th Dec, depending on if they worked Xmas day and Boxing day you had between 3 and 5 days during which they were processing orders. All that mail will have entered RM's system on the 29th.

After New Years eve up to and including the 4th of Jan you had 3 days during which they were processing orders. All that mail will have entered RM's system on the 4th.

That's a lot of mail compacted into a short amount of time. The amount of foreign mail has shot up over the last week, presumably as customs clear whatever backlog they had. You've also got New Years sales mixed in which also cause a surge in mail. I can't see it calming down until late January/early February
I think SpacePhonix has got this right. I was thinking the same.

A few years ago Christmas pressure only really lasted 3 or 4 weeks. The time after once you cleared any held up mailsort was much easier. This year it seems like the pressure has been going on for 8-9 weeks and its not showing any sign of stopping. We are rolling more work than is going out the door. :sad:
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12195
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Re: "it'll get better after Christmas," they said

Post by SpacePhoenix »

krussel wrote: ↑
10 Jan 2022, 20:39
The time after once you cleared any held up mailsort was much easier.
Just about all of what used to be mailsort has gone over to DSA
Nickvilla20
Posts: 789
Joined: 13 May 2013, 07:30
Gender: Male

Re: "it'll get better after Christmas," they said

Post by Nickvilla20 »

Six door to doors this week as last weeks come down late so they expect to do a double load this week. I’m double prepping so none got thrown in today we have 50 minutes worth of lasping as they are using the ‘summer’ plan. Booked 2 hours OT today just to get done and it wasn’t that busy. Tomorrow will be interesting as I will be working to my finish time and not a minute later.
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

Re: "it'll get better after Christmas," they said

Post by bustedflush »

Apologies here but the 'they said...' part of the thread title couldn't but help remind me of the old Greg Lake Christmas classic 'I Believe in Father Christmas' so I have wasted some time penning my alternative lyrics for you all. To lighten things up a bit. If that's possible. :mad

They said there'll be temps at Christmas
They said there'll be clearing of your frame
But instead they just kept on lapsing
A hail of tracked for the tired and lame

I remember the old Christmas pressure
A winter's light and the customer tips
And the peal of a bell and no bullshit to smell
And no bollockings for leaving red slips

They worked me to death at Christmas
They worked me into the night
And they told me a fairy story
'Til the customers told me we're shite

And I believed in chairman Terry
And I looked up to him with hopeful eyes
'Til I woke with a yawn in the first light of dawn
And I saw right through his disguise

I wish you a hellish Christmas
I wish you a heavy new year
All the specials, mech and tracked
Enter your office and never see your frame get clear

They said there'll be help at Christmas
They said there'll be no door-to-doors
Hallelujah, Terry be it misery or merry
The Christmas we get we deserve
WalkerX
Posts: 432
Joined: 20 Feb 2021, 22:31
Gender: Male

Re: "it'll get better after Christmas," they said

Post by WalkerX »

bustedflush wrote: ↑
11 Jan 2022, 17:26
Apologies here but the 'they said...' part of the thread title couldn't but help remind me of the old Greg Lake Christmas classic 'I Believe in Father Christmas' so I have wasted some time penning my alternative lyrics for you all. To lighten things up a bit. If that's possible. :mad

They said there'll be temps at Christmas
They said there'll be clearing of your frame
But instead they just kept on lapsing
A hail of tracked for the tired and lame

I remember the old Christmas pressure
A winter's light and the customer tips
And the peal of a bell and no bullshit to smell
And no bollockings for leaving red slips

They worked me to death at Christmas
They worked me into the night
And they told me a fairy story
'Til the customers told me we're shite

And I believed in chairman Terry
And I looked up to him with hopeful eyes
'Til I woke with a yawn in the first light of dawn
And I saw right through his disguise

I wish you a hellish Christmas
I wish you a heavy new year
All the specials, mech and tracked
Enter your office and never see your frame get clear

They said there'll be help at Christmas
They said there'll be no door-to-doors
Hallelujah, Terry be it misery or merry
The Christmas we get we deserve
Nice one Busted. :Applause
crimson king
Posts: 783
Joined: 20 Aug 2017, 16:37
Gender: Male

Re: "it'll get better after Christmas," they said

Post by crimson king »

That is brilliant! :thumbup
Sooner or later, a beat dog bites.