ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Driver academy
-
2214MN
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 49
- Joined: 03 Jun 2016, 16:53
- Gender: Male
Driver academy
Just noticed on my payslip this week it says to apply for Royal Mail driver academy request a link by email.
Looks like applications close on 3rd January, has anyone got a link they could send me please? Worried they may not reply to my email in time.
Has anyone done the driver academy before and is it worthwhile?
Thanks
Looks like applications close on 3rd January, has anyone got a link they could send me please? Worried they may not reply to my email in time.
Has anyone done the driver academy before and is it worthwhile?
Thanks
-
Skuse
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 162
- Joined: 01 Jun 2013, 18:54
- Gender: Male
Re: Driver academy
You can apply on the people app under messages the link is there and only takes a few minutes to complete 
-
2214MN
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 49
- Joined: 03 Jun 2016, 16:53
- Gender: Male
-
postieblueshirt
- Posts: 1241
- Joined: 01 Oct 2019, 22:05
- Gender: Male
Re: Driver academy
Is this worth going for or would you be opening up years of getting mucked about and crap shifts nobody wants.id like to try but my seniority where I am means I don't get mucked about at the moment.
-
citypostie
- Posts: 895
- Joined: 08 Apr 2009, 19:42
- Gender: Male
Re: Driver academy
Sounds like nearly all my office have applied! Think this Christmas has made lots want to jump to a bit of cushty distribution/network work
-
2214MN
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 49
- Joined: 03 Jun 2016, 16:53
- Gender: Male
Re: Driver academy
Got to be worth a go I reckon. Been in the company 10 years and with another 30 to go before being close to retirement, not sure I fancy walking 10+ miles every day until then!
-
sixfoottwo
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 569
- Joined: 11 May 2017, 15:15
- Gender: Male
Re: Driver academy
What is this actually? can anyone put some meat on the bones as Driver Academy is pretty vague to me!
-
citypostie
- Posts: 895
- Joined: 08 Apr 2009, 19:42
- Gender: Male
Re: Driver academy
28th Christmas for me and really don't fancy doing another on delivery. If I'm not successful getting on this I'm paying to do it myself and see if I have luck that way
-
Skuse
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 162
- Joined: 01 Jun 2013, 18:54
- Gender: Male
Re: Driver academy
So if you have a car licence they will train you to achieve 7.5t if you have class 2 (18t rigid ) you can train to achieve Class 1 (artic)sixfoottwo wrote: ↑29 Dec 2021, 18:48What is this actually? can anyone put some meat on the bones as Driver Academy is pretty vague to me!
-
Skuse
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 162
- Joined: 01 Jun 2013, 18:54
- Gender: Male
Re: Driver academy
Yes go for it! 5 years ago I paid £1500 and passed my Class 2 and I am now a substantive 7.5t driver and I have now applied to the driver academy for Class 1 training . I was a postie on the same walk beforehand for 10 years and 5 years as a spare and when we went into shared vans that was it I was off so well worth it even if you pay yourself like I didcitypostie wrote: ↑29 Dec 2021, 18:5428th Christmas for me and really don't fancy doing another on delivery. If I'm not successful getting on this I'm paying to do it myself and see if I have luck that way
-
Skuse
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 162
- Joined: 01 Jun 2013, 18:54
- Gender: Male
Re: Driver academy
Possibly weekends and nights the most senior all work earlies on the 44t (artics )postieblueshirt wrote: ↑29 Dec 2021, 15:47Is this worth going for or would you be opening up years of getting mucked about and crap shifts nobody wants.id like to try but my seniority where I am means I don't get mucked about at the moment.
-
citypostie
- Posts: 895
- Joined: 08 Apr 2009, 19:42
- Gender: Male
Re: Driver academy
I've already got the 7.5t entitlement on my license and a local company have said it would be £350 for my CPC training. I'll do that first and try to get on local distribution but if that fails I'll go for broke and try for my class 1 and hope they are desperate for drivers despite this course they are doingSkuse wrote: ↑29 Dec 2021, 19:31Yes go for it! 5 years ago I paid £1500 and passed my Class 2 and I am now a substantive 7.5t driver and I have now applied to the driver academy for Class 1 training . I was a postie on the same walk beforehand for 10 years and 5 years as a spare and when we went into shared vans that was it I was off so well worth it even if you pay yourself like I didcitypostie wrote: ↑29 Dec 2021, 18:5428th Christmas for me and really don't fancy doing another on delivery. If I'm not successful getting on this I'm paying to do it myself and see if I have luck that way![]()
-
Skuse
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 162
- Joined: 01 Jun 2013, 18:54
- Gender: Male
Re: Driver academy
I did t have the 7.5t grandfather rights because I passed my car test in 1998 so it was a no brainer to go straight to a class 2 because it was the same price as 7.5t and I now drive class 2 on overtime and 6 weeks at Xmascitypostie wrote: ↑29 Dec 2021, 19:45I've already got the 7.5t entitlement on my license and a local company have said it would be £350 for my CPC training. I'll do that first and try to get on local distribution but if that fails I'll go for broke and try for my class 1 and hope they are desperate for drivers despite this course they are doingSkuse wrote: ↑29 Dec 2021, 19:31Yes go for it! 5 years ago I paid £1500 and passed my Class 2 and I am now a substantive 7.5t driver and I have now applied to the driver academy for Class 1 training . I was a postie on the same walk beforehand for 10 years and 5 years as a spare and when we went into shared vans that was it I was off so well worth it even if you pay yourself like I didcitypostie wrote: ↑29 Dec 2021, 18:5428th Christmas for me and really don't fancy doing another on delivery. If I'm not successful getting on this I'm paying to do it myself and see if I have luck that way![]()