ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Job Sharing

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
fatfeet
Posts: 19
Joined: 18 Oct 2018, 20:18
Gender: Male

Job Sharing

Post by fatfeet »

Hi fellow streetwalkers,

Does anybody have an idea how to approach a situation regarding job share.

A colleague and I wish to share a walk as we are approaching "maturity" or twilight years.
Is there a legal commitment re government guidelines or is this purely at the whim of the DOM. His apparent argument is that they lose flexibility and issues regarding sick cover. I would have thought that this would be a positive in that respect.

The job is getting tougher since revisions and personal health is more important than slogging myself death and cashing in my chips to the gov.ltd.

Any ideas or thoughts would really be appreciated.
koolishy67
Posts: 665
Joined: 04 Nov 2010, 21:02
Gender: Male

Re: Job Sharing

Post by koolishy67 »

I think depends on Dom two people sharing in our office one doing Tuesday Friday and Saturday and other Mon wed and thu
hullcity2
Posts: 2
Joined: 23 Aug 2011, 12:04
Gender: Male

Re: Job Sharing

Post by hullcity2 »

I am full time , my van partner is on a job share , they work Thurs. , Fri.and Sat . One week then Mon. , Tues. And Wednesday the second week then a week off , they are happy either that
fatfeet
Posts: 19
Joined: 18 Oct 2018, 20:18
Gender: Male

Re: Job Sharing

Post by fatfeet »

Thanks guys, Hullcity2, that is what we are proposing but DOM appears to be reluctant as it causes operational problems. I would agree if they were not allowed to offer a younger pair of legs a job, but further than that I can only assume it is too challenging/hard work planning rosta.
number one
Posts: 1324
Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
Gender: Male

Re: Job Sharing

Post by number one »

Covering sickness isn’t your concern and doesn’t form operational issues. Sickness is sickness and is covered as and when needed. Sounds like your DOM doesn’t actually know the rules.
mags999
Posts: 372
Joined: 25 Jun 2016, 11:05
Gender: Male

Re: Job Sharing

Post by mags999 »

they should be forced into allowing this and the union should be backing this especially for older staff
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

Re: Job Sharing

Post by k979aaa »

grahamg23 wrote: ↑
16 Dec 2021, 20:50
Thanks guys, Hullcity2, that is what we are proposing but DOM appears to be reluctant as it causes operational problems. I would agree if they were not allowed to offer a younger pair of legs a job, but further than that I can only assume it is too challenging/hard work planning rosta.
Piss poor management then if they cannot cover ad hoc days or annual leave some offices have part time paid managers but I thought even the full time ones only worked part time!