Hopefully they will eventually chance things but I doubt it as things are just getting worse. I'll still have an interest in what goes on in the company purely on the basis in them years I've made some friends that I will still see out of work but glad to leave the company behind me and hopeful they can all do the same in time as I know they want to do sofb1969 wrote: ↑12 Dec 2021, 05:51I could have written that post myself! The only difference would be that I've done a bit longer, but apart from that it sums my thoughts up too. The biggest killers for me have been the attitude of the company to the workers, and the backing that the union always give them.
Best of luck to you, hoping to get my head in order enough to do the same as soon as I can.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Final week
-
Bigjj
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 40
- Joined: 17 Jan 2018, 21:04
- Gender: Male
Re: Final week
-
Dorset Plodder
- Posts: 4351
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
- Gender: Male
Re: Final week
I found the best solution to dealing with the crap level of organistion in this business is just to not give a shite anymore. I nearly wet myself the other day when the DOM started going on about the need for "TEAM WORK". Yeah Right!Bigjj wrote: ↑11 Dec 2021, 22:07So this week saw me work my final week for this company.
Brilliant timing mate.I bet your DOM was stressing over covering your duty, did he try to convince you to wait until after Christmas?
They definitely need to start asking themselves why so many are leaving the company rather than putting so much effort in to recruiting new posties where many leave quickly anyway.
You're right there. I bet they're not even carrying out Exit Interviews.Due to the way the new contracts are arranged (and the fact that no Experienced Staff want to work later) the afternoons, and evenings are being run by Kids with no idea what they're doing! I came back to the DO after delivery and both doors were open with nobody in the office, instead of getting another Yorke for mail there was just a great pile on the floor .... I thought WTF is going on!:shock:
remember that there is a lot more out there than working for this company! Good luck to all
Great that you've made that decision at the 8 year point. As mentioned here, and on other posts, the problem gets harder the longer you work at RM. We do get institutionised, and the less time you have to retirement the worse it gets.![]()
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
-
priority102
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 520
- Joined: 04 Aug 2009, 18:57
- Gender: Female
Re: Final week
Well done for having the bottle to look elsewhere and leave. I did exactly the same earlier this year after 25 years and I have absolutely NO regrets, apart from wishing I had done it a couple of years or so sooner when the downward slide started to bite.
It's December, and for the first time in 25 years I am having absolutely NO stress, No feeling completely knackered, NO aching body, NO getting up at silly o'clock on a freezing morning, NO more Saturdays, NO more walking streets for 5 hours or so in freezing cold/wet conditions, NO back stabbing each other (due to the stress of the job), etc. I am thoroughly enjoying life now along with the new job where each employee is a person and valued as such.
The terms and conditions used to be amongst the best around for unskilled labour and the hourly rate is still comparable...UNTIL you factor in just how hard you have to work for that hourly rate, and if you compare hourly rate to workload and stress involved it most certainly is NOT.
Good luck in your new venture!
It's December, and for the first time in 25 years I am having absolutely NO stress, No feeling completely knackered, NO aching body, NO getting up at silly o'clock on a freezing morning, NO more Saturdays, NO more walking streets for 5 hours or so in freezing cold/wet conditions, NO back stabbing each other (due to the stress of the job), etc. I am thoroughly enjoying life now along with the new job where each employee is a person and valued as such.
The terms and conditions used to be amongst the best around for unskilled labour and the hourly rate is still comparable...UNTIL you factor in just how hard you have to work for that hourly rate, and if you compare hourly rate to workload and stress involved it most certainly is NOT.
Good luck in your new venture!
Last edited by priority102 on 12 Dec 2021, 12:25, edited 3 times in total.
-
panzer4
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 173
- Joined: 25 Jul 2015, 10:58
- Gender: Male
Re: Final week
Good for you i wish you well
I quit a year ago and it was the best decision I’ve ever made ,no more stress and been able to come off medication and finally enjoy life.
Good luck for the future
I quit a year ago and it was the best decision I’ve ever made ,no more stress and been able to come off medication and finally enjoy life.
Good luck for the future
-
ihatedogs
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 547
- Joined: 03 Nov 2010, 18:53
- Gender: Male
Re: Final week
Have you had a proper look at the driver training scheme mate?postieblueshirt wrote: ↑11 Dec 2021, 22:15Good luck mate I am a bit scared of leaving as I've done it for so long,I even thought about the driver academy thing then I read about how all the new drivers get all the crap shifts so God knows.enjoy Christmas..
It does say on gaining your license you have to take whatever job royal mail offers you, but remember, once you're in at any MC then normal rules apply for advertised vacancies so newcomers with years of seniority will, potentially, get a shift that suits them.
I made the move from postie to MGV driver. Best thing I ever did.
-
ihatedogs
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 547
- Joined: 03 Nov 2010, 18:53
- Gender: Male
Re: Final week
Your post reminded me of when I started at RM years ago. Anyone who was retiring had the outdoor aspect of their walk covered by our (old school) gaffer on their last day and could spend the morning leisurely throwing their walk in and having a goodbye chat and cuppa with workmates they'd spent the last 30 years with.Bigjj wrote: ↑11 Dec 2021, 22:07So this week saw me work my final week for this company. Eight years I've being in this job and like many here would probably agree it was once a lovely job and a definite mixed emotions when it came to leaving. Used to enjoy the varied working pattern and never minded working Saturdays either given they used to not be so bad. On top of that you got outside as your own boss, got to speak to people and got exercise.
But in recent years it has been getting worse and worse and although I wouldn't say I was quite at the stage of hating the job it was getting that way. The signs were there over the years that the job was slowly becoming harder in terms of too much walking with hefty bags, extended delivery expectations and a growing amount of parcels. Sadly when Covid came along last year it just massively accelerated the volume of the work load and my body started to feel the affect of the niggles. A few years ago It felt well paid for a no skills job but not so much these days and it's not as easy a job as it looks now in my opinion.
The way the last day panned out as well just reminded me of the reasons I was leaving to be honest and although I will miss some of the people as there are some awesome people working in the company I will not miss the job at all now. I think the fact that you used to get just a couple of people leave each year usually through retirement or ill health but in the last year around 20% of the office have left and many of these people had many years in the job but still quite a while to go to retirement says a lot about where people are at with the company at the moment. They definitely need to start asking themselves why so many are leaving the company rather than putting so much effort in to recruiting new posties where many leave quickly anyway.
On to a new challenge for me in the new year and although never know if I will enjoy my next adventure it's quite sad to say but I won't miss the old one that's for sure. Just wanted to wish you all a Merry Christmas and Happy New year. Only a couple more weeks left to get there guys! You all do fantastic jobs in current circumstances but remember that there is a lot more out there than working for this company! Good luck to all
None of that now unfortunately, just constant pressure.
-
sosobad6
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 3
- Joined: 04 Apr 2014, 18:43
- Gender: Male
Re: Final week
I have just left myself after 7 and a half year. Enjoyed it but since covid the job became terrible. Birthday cards and hospital letters left in frames for days to concentrate on tracked packets. I couldn't do this job for another 20 years till retirement. My new job is better money, time and a half if you choose to do overtime and even started up jogging again on my days off cause my body isnt knackered. Was sad leaving, not sure if i was making the right decision but its been my best December in 7 year! No point moaning about the job every day and doing nothing about it, only live once
-
aiden01
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 7001
- Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
- Gender: Male
Re: Final week
Have brought up a family an mortgage nearly paid off so i personally have'nt too badly after 27yrs in job.Shirtbuttons wrote: ↑12 Dec 2021, 09:02Aiden said it doesn’t pay buttons? I strongly disagree. 1 hour ot for £8.08 after tax. You try bringing up a family and getting a mortgage on this wage. You’d be laughed out the bank.
-
postieblueshirt
- Posts: 1241
- Joined: 01 Oct 2019, 22:05
- Gender: Male
Re: Final week
Thanks for that I think il have to definitely give It thought as I've had enough of walking the beat and my licence is clean etc.ihatedogs wrote: ↑12 Dec 2021, 10:35Have you had a proper look at the driver training scheme mate?postieblueshirt wrote: ↑11 Dec 2021, 22:15Good luck mate I am a bit scared of leaving as I've done it for so long,I even thought about the driver academy thing then I read about how all the new drivers get all the crap shifts so God knows.enjoy Christmas..
It does say on gaining your license you have to take whatever job royal mail offers you, but remember, once you're in at any MC then normal rules apply for advertised vacancies so newcomers with years of seniority will, potentially, get a shift that suits them.
I made the move from postie to MGV driver. Best thing I ever did.
-
bustedflush
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1493
- Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
- Gender: Male
Re: Final week
Good luck, I hope the new pastures are green!
One thing, watch what you eat - after burning all those calories walking it's easy to become a bloater in the months afterwards, assuming your new work will be less physically demanding. I saw that a couple of times with older guys retiring/leaving and popping in to say hello a while afterwards. I put a stone on myself but lost it again by changing my diet slightly and cutting out sugary snacks.
Irresepective of how long you served RM you do retain some curiosity as to how things are progressing (or not!) so like the rest of us 'purples' on here no doubt you will pop in to see quite regularly.
Enjoy an ache-free Christmas fellow!
One thing, watch what you eat - after burning all those calories walking it's easy to become a bloater in the months afterwards, assuming your new work will be less physically demanding. I saw that a couple of times with older guys retiring/leaving and popping in to say hello a while afterwards. I put a stone on myself but lost it again by changing my diet slightly and cutting out sugary snacks.
Irresepective of how long you served RM you do retain some curiosity as to how things are progressing (or not!) so like the rest of us 'purples' on here no doubt you will pop in to see quite regularly.
Enjoy an ache-free Christmas fellow!
-
amhopkins1
- Posts: 33
- Joined: 12 Apr 2018, 19:46
- Gender: Male
Re: Final week
I'm starting to feel the same, been at RM 7 years and I'm knackered all the time, hardly do anything outside of work because of it. Out of interest, what type of job have you gone in to? Having only ever been a polite it's hard to know what to look for when looking for other jobs (lack of experience, no particular skills etc). Thanks
-
rambo1
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 3266
- Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
- Gender: Male
Re: Final week
I'd have at least held out another week and got £200 bonus for five more days work.Dorset Plodder wrote: ↑12 Dec 2021, 09:51I found the best solution to dealing with the crap level of organistion in this business is just to not give a shite anymore. I nearly wet myself the other day when the DOM started going on about the need for "TEAM WORK". Yeah Right!Bigjj wrote: ↑11 Dec 2021, 22:07So this week saw me work my final week for this company.
Brilliant timing mate.I bet your DOM was stressing over covering your duty, did he try to convince you to wait until after Christmas?
They definitely need to start asking themselves why so many are leaving the company rather than putting so much effort in to recruiting new posties where many leave quickly anyway.
You're right there. I bet they're not even carrying out Exit Interviews.Due to the way the new contracts are arranged (and the fact that no Experienced Staff want to work later) the afternoons, and evenings are being run by Kids with no idea what they're doing! I came back to the DO after delivery and both doors were open with nobody in the office, instead of getting another Yorke for mail there was just a great pile on the floor .... I thought WTF is going on!:shock:
remember that there is a lot more out there than working for this company! Good luck to all
Great that you've made that decision at the 8 year point. As mentioned here, and on other posts, the problem gets harder the longer you work at RM. We do get institutionised, and the less time you have to retirement the worse it gets.![]()
![]()
-
Chelseablue
- Posts: 2226
- Joined: 19 Aug 2013, 14:33
- Gender: Female
Re: Final week
Haveyoursay@bbc.co.uk are wanting to hear from posties on the delays in customers not getting mail for days etc . Royal mail says only 21 offices are experiencing current difficulties ,,, due to covid and sick absence .
-
toonshola
- Posts: 917
- Joined: 29 Jul 2011, 16:31
- Gender: Male
Re: Final week
Good luck for the future. I’m 11 years in and just applied for the mgv driver training, if as expected I don’t have enough seniority to be accepted I definitely won’t be in this job come 2023. Delivery is absolutely hell on earth and it keeps getting worse with each passing month.
-
bustedflush
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1493
- Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
- Gender: Male