ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
What makes the job stressful in your opinion?
-
Lawrencepa2014
- Posts: 98
- Joined: 20 Sep 2014, 14:03
- Gender: Male
What makes the job stressful in your opinion?
I find it hard explaining to friends and family why I find the job tough at times. I think they see it like I’m a modern day postman pat and I have loads of time to do what I want and it’s basically one big jolly. What’s some less obvious things that stress you out about the job?
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72754
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: What makes the job stressful in your opinion?
Poor Management.
Poor Organisation.
Poor Communication.
Poor Support.
Poor Agreements.
Poor Leadership.
Lack of Trust.
I think that about covers it.
Poor Organisation.
Poor Communication.
Poor Support.
Poor Agreements.
Poor Leadership.
Lack of Trust.
I think that about covers it.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
fb1969
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1693
- Joined: 29 Aug 2012, 08:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: hiding on the backstreets
Re: What makes the job stressful in your opinion?
TBT has covered most of it, but I would say "non-existent" instead of "poor" in most cases.
The general public think wandering down the street putting letters through doors, they don't have a clue!
The general public think wandering down the street putting letters through doors, they don't have a clue!
Royal Mail
failing the workforce, failing the public and deliberately failing mail on a daily basis for too many years.
failing the workforce, failing the public and deliberately failing mail on a daily basis for too many years.
-
seaside
- Posts: 266
- Joined: 31 May 2013, 18:51
- Gender: Female
Re: What makes the job stressful in your opinion?
Van sharing, has to be number 1..
-
Kenfandango
- Posts: 694
- Joined: 19 Oct 2021, 16:40
- Gender: Male
Re: What makes the job stressful in your opinion?
Company trying to do the volume of parcels that other, parcel specific, companies do only without the infrastructure, technology or vehicles to do so
-
Sir Henry
- Posts: 1316
- Joined: 24 Oct 2014, 00:33
- Gender: Male
Re: What makes the job stressful in your opinion?
Management sharp practice. Do away with bonuses and do away with the former
"A third of the world's farmland is now useless due to soil degradation, yet we still keep producing mouths to feed. And what's you answer to that? Energy saving lightbulbs?"
-
sjh182
- Posts: 15
- Joined: 01 Dec 2016, 19:04
- Gender: Male
Re: What makes the job stressful in your opinion?
The job once I get out of the office is relatively relaxing and enjoyable, the stress comes from knowing if I take my day off I'll likely come back to a full frame of mail or after a week's leave having to deal with between 1 and 6 days of mail that hasn't gone or when a neighboring delivery is off so I have to take their tracked and specials, so have to decide whether to work over to finish my delivery or fail a large chunk to finish on time. I want to provide the best possible service for our customers, but often feel I've been set up to fail before I even walk in the door.
-
postieblueshirt
- Posts: 1241
- Joined: 01 Oct 2019, 22:05
- Gender: Male
Re: What makes the job stressful in your opinion?
Unfair workload I had more oversize yesterday on my park n loop than the guy who's just doing parcels f***in sole destroying.
-
grumpazoid
- Posts: 30
- Joined: 05 Feb 2019, 09:26
- Gender: Male
Re: What makes the job stressful in your opinion?
All of the above.TrueBlueTerrier wrote: ↑03 Dec 2021, 09:50Poor Management.
Poor Organisation.
Poor Communication.
Poor Support.
Poor Agreements.
Poor Leadership.
Lack of Trust.
I think that about covers it.
A few of my own personal stressors:
- Unreliable, poorly maintained vehicles.
- Blatant favouritism among management toward certain members of staff.
- General disregard for matters of health, safety and security, resulting in a dangerous working environment.
- Knowing that, as an employee with less than a year in the job, I don't qualify for sick pay.
- Dealing with a daily workload that is so colossal that, from the moment I enter the DO until I deliver the last letter of the day, I feel as though I can't afford to slow down for even a few minutes.
-
yubin282
- Posts: 994
- Joined: 25 Jul 2014, 19:18
- Gender: Male
Re: What makes the job stressful in your opinion?
I don't think I could cover everything in a single post.
But mainly other people.
MANAGERS
COLLEAGUES
LYING CUSTOMERS.
But mainly other people.
MANAGERS
COLLEAGUES
LYING CUSTOMERS.
Last edited by yubin282 on 03 Dec 2021, 17:35, edited 1 time in total.
-
POSTMAN
- SITE ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 32805
- Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
- Gender: Male
Re: What makes the job stressful in your opinion?
We moan a lot about the screws, but our colleagues seriously do not help the situation.postieblueshirt wrote: ↑03 Dec 2021, 11:17Unfair workload I had more oversize yesterday on my park n loop than the guy who's just doing parcels f***in sole destroying.
We have some serious w*****s in a Blue/Red shirt!
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
-
Shirtbuttons
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 292
- Joined: 06 Sep 2020, 14:46
- Gender: Male
Re: What makes the job stressful in your opinion?
If only everyone would do the job properly. Start on time, finish on time, take your breaks and deliver as much as you can at a reasonable speed the job would be easier for all of us. Have a coffee ready for me in the morning for you guys starting 2 hours before you should.
-
EdRush
- Posts: 123
- Joined: 19 Oct 2016, 20:18
- Gender: Male
Re: What makes the job stressful in your opinion?
A job without stress isn't really rewarding or fulfilling. I used to find 'completing' a duty quite enjoyable and rewarding. A hard day's work, happy customers, and reasonably managable. However now dutys are no longer reasonable, and if you tell a manager that, they will bully and harass you over your 'competance' and at the very least give their most practiced and derisive look that they can muster
All my good will has long since died, and now I don't work overtime to complete. The mental stress of dealing with managers (often a new/different manager) every day is still real.. and exponential bad in December... but at least I'm not physically exhausted when I get home to my family.
The job is no longer rewarding or fulfilling, just stressful, and part time pay is not good enough for the amount of mental stress that is put on us. But at least I get home earlier to spend time with my family x
All my good will has long since died, and now I don't work overtime to complete. The mental stress of dealing with managers (often a new/different manager) every day is still real.. and exponential bad in December... but at least I'm not physically exhausted when I get home to my family.
The job is no longer rewarding or fulfilling, just stressful, and part time pay is not good enough for the amount of mental stress that is put on us. But at least I get home earlier to spend time with my family x
-
dohnut
- Posts: 658
- Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:15
- Gender: Male
Re: What makes the job stressful in your opinion?
Yep, I get sometimes double what other walks get in parcels, I come in early and go over 'paid of course', and still cant complete, and then you see people finishing early doesn't add up, especially the town centre and firms duties.POSTMAN wrote: ↑03 Dec 2021, 14:58We moan a lot about the screws, but our colleagues seriously do not help the situation.postieblueshirt wrote: ↑03 Dec 2021, 11:17Unfair workload I had more oversize yesterday on my park n loop than the guy who's just doing parcels f***in sole destroying.
We have some serious w*****s in a Blue/Red shirt!
-
markarronsmith
- Posts: 36
- Joined: 20 Mar 2020, 12:39
- Gender: Male
Re: What makes the job stressful in your opinion?
Kenfandango wrote: ↑03 Dec 2021, 10:27Company trying to do the volume of parcels that other, parcel specific, companies do only without the infrastructure, technology or vehicles to do so
Preach!