ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Calling in with stress/anxiety

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
CHUCKYPIG
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 132
Joined: 07 Apr 2020, 21:01
Gender: Male

Calling in with stress/anxiety

Post by CHUCKYPIG »

Jamiechelt wrote:I hsd a panic attack at work. I've not slept and need to call in. Can I self certify for the 7 days? And ask a doctor if i need more.

Also what do you say? They'll probably laugh
Good luck mate. Hope the week off helped. Try and get help from the docs or internet for ways to help the stress and anxiety. If you can go back to work after a week hope it goes well. If not as the others have said get a doctors note for longer.
Woody Guthrie
Posts: 5166
Joined: 29 Sep 2018, 20:47
Gender: Male

Calling in with stress/anxiety

Post by Woody Guthrie »

clashcityrocker wrote:If the stress is Covid 19 related would it be discounted from the attendance procedure?
It would not be Covid-19 related, it would be work related. It's hard enough to get a doctor to pin down the cause of stress to your work environment without trying to whittle it down to the reaction of your work to a specific event.
Only dead fish follow the current
MissyMoo182
Posts: 8
Joined: 28 Sep 2021, 17:18
Gender: Male

Re: Calling in with stress/anxiety

Post by MissyMoo182 »

Hi all been at royal mail for just over a week and am finding it really difficult. I left my last job of 20 years due to a bullying manger who took my csp away due to having to shield from covid, unfortunately my old workplace was not unionised but thankfully I was still in one and I put in a grievance about and won my case I was then advised by my union rep to put in another grievance about the bullying which I did. While I was waiting for grievance date from the management, the manager in question was still at it with me putting me on jobs he knew I would struggle on as I have a condition in my eyes and struggle with close tolerance tasks, due to this behaviour from him I went of sick as my anxiety levels could not take it, while I was off I looked for other jobs and was ecstatic when royal mail offered me a role, my feelings have now changed and I'm feeling really anxious again, they gave me 3 days training and have now chucked me out there doing the firms on my own I just feel like I'm chasing my tail any help or advice would be greatly appreciated I just cannot see myself lasting at this. Thank you.
Dannysmudge
Posts: 15
Joined: 03 Nov 2021, 10:11
Gender: Male

Re: Calling in with stress/anxiety

Post by Dannysmudge »

Glenn83 wrote: ↑
18 Nov 2021, 18:04
Hi all been at royal mail for just over a week and am finding it really difficult. I left my last job of 20 years due to a bullying manger who took my csp away due to having to shield from covid, unfortunately my old workplace was not unionised but thankfully I was still in one and I put in a grievance about and won my case I was then advised by my union rep to put in another grievance about the bullying which I did. While I was waiting for grievance date from the management, the manager in question was still at it with me putting me on jobs he knew I would struggle on as I have a condition in my eyes and struggle with close tolerance tasks, due to this behaviour from him I went of sick as my anxiety levels could not take it, while I was off I looked for other jobs and was ecstatic when royal mail offered me a role, my feelings have now changed and I'm feeling really anxious again, they gave me 3 days training and have now chucked me out there doing the firms on my own I just feel like I'm chasing my tail any help or advice would be greatly appreciated I just cannot see myself lasting at this. Thank you.
Same as me, had 3 days training but have been straight out on the job posting letters and parcels. Got my own PDA 2nd day ( only shown how to log on) and feel like I'm winging it a bit. Get moved onto another round next week by sounds of what my workplace coach says. If that happens I will definitely be struggling to get by, probably just work my time even though im on probation.
MissyMoo182
Posts: 8
Joined: 28 Sep 2021, 17:18
Gender: Male

Re: Calling in with stress/anxiety

Post by MissyMoo182 »

Totally agree mate I've been put on my 4th different round in 3 weeks it is hard to get used to all the changing all the time, I'm hoping that they keep me on a round for at least a month so I can get used to it, as I don't really want to leave as I have never had a job working outside and I'm quite enjoying even if it is freezing cold.
*horcrux*
Posts: 78
Joined: 22 May 2017, 13:31
Gender: Male

Re: Calling in with stress/anxiety

Post by *horcrux* »

4 rounds in 3 weeks is very excessive.
In our office a new starter is on the same duty for 6 weeks minimum. Then when they do get moved they do another duty for a week at least so they learn that one then after a couple of months it could be a few new duties a week, mainly HTC duties, not intricate driving roles.

Hope you stick it out, I didn't like it at first but after about 6 weeks it just sort of clicked.
All the best
Wolf91
Posts: 506
Joined: 06 Sep 2018, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: Calling in with stress/anxiety

Post by Wolf91 »

It gets a lot easier. Everyone feels like that at the start for a few weeks until you get the hang of it. You need to know it like the back of your hand to be organised and efficient enough for it to work, which naturally takes time. Which naturally management don’t give you.
It’s very much sink or swim, unfortunately. Chin up though.
TopperGas
Posts: 3526
Joined: 13 Feb 2021, 22:46
Gender: Male

Re: Calling in with stress/anxiety

Post by TopperGas »

MissyMoo182 wrote: ↑
18 Nov 2021, 18:04
Hi all been at royal mail for just over a week and am finding it really difficult. I left my last job of 20 years due to a bullying manger who took my csp away due to having to shield from covid, unfortunately my old workplace was not unionised but thankfully I was still in one and I put in a grievance about and won my case I was then advised by my union rep to put in another grievance about the bullying which I did. While I was waiting for grievance date from the management, the manager in question was still at it with me putting me on jobs he knew I would struggle on as I have a condition in my eyes and struggle with close tolerance tasks, due to this behaviour from him I went of sick as my anxiety levels could not take it, while I was off I looked for other jobs and was ecstatic when royal mail offered me a role, my feelings have now changed and I'm feeling really anxious again, they gave me 3 days training and have now chucked me out there doing the firms on my own I just feel like I'm chasing my tail any help or advice would be greatly appreciated I just cannot see myself lasting at this. Thank you.
What do you actually mean by "doing the firms on my own" are you delivering to the same set of companies each day using an HCT or a van?

If you've got a set walk and are coping with the basics just stick with it as the job normally improves with experience.
MissyMoo182
Posts: 8
Joined: 28 Sep 2021, 17:18
Gender: Male

Re: Calling in with stress/anxiety

Post by MissyMoo182 »

Toppergas I was put on the firms having to drive from one side of town to the other several different trading estates also without driver training, they just gave me the 3 days training and chucked me the van keys and said out you go. I still feel the same as when I originally posted I just feel my organisational skills are not up to it, the postie I was working with today was a nice guy and said I make the job look more difficult than it actually is by the way I hold things but I generally can't hold it any other way. I even had managers come and check up on me while I was out on my round today as I'm always behind my delievery partner, I thought I was quick at walking but no where near as quick, I struggle to keep up and am getting home about 15:00 totally whacked. I used to work 12 hour shifts in my previous jobs and I'm only part time at royal mail but am coming home way more tired, I told them when I first started I'd like a full time contract but have to be honest I think it would kill me to do full time, I don't believe I'm unfit either I do a lot of rowing and walking outside of work but am to exhausted after work to do anything.