It was overtime. Due to the size of this particular duty, it is locally referred to as "The Money Walk". Everyone knows that it is just too big to complete, even by a full-timer. On the lightest of days, it cannot be done in less than five hours (from leaving the office - prep, tying-up and loading the van not included). I'd had enough of coming in two hours early and regularly staying out for at least an hour past my finishing time just to clear that day's mail. I knew that, as long as I continued getting in early to prep the walk, they would keep me on that duty and, more often than not, I would get it cleared as I just couldn't face coming in to an ever-increasing backlog of work every day.
I gave my manager several days' notice of this fact, advising that it was no longer convenient for me to come in early. For some bizarre reason, I have not been moved off of that particular walk and none of it is being prepped before I come in. He collared me for a chat this morning, during which he told me that it might be best if I was moved to another walk to allow someone "more experienced" to cover this duty. He then mentioned how he would be deploying workplace coaches to our area, in order to ensure that there was always someone on hand to offer guidance following the identification of any "training issues". Feeling uncomfortable with where this conversation was going, I asked him outright if I had made any cock-ups that hadn't been brought to my attention. He stringently denied this and insisted that these coaches would be there for EVERYONE'S benefit. Personally, I don't trust a word he says. It feels like he could be using me as a scapegoat for his failure to manage the situation.
Once again, "The Money Walk" didn't go out today. Just Tracked and Specials. Letters and bog-standard packets/parcels continue to accumulate around the frame.