Has anyone noted the criteria now for job applications? The Indeed advert says (amongst other requirements): "Excellent organisation". "You will need to be able to plan your round and make sure you complete all your deliveries in good time".
"Resilience": "You will be able to work under pressure".
This implies that the job must be completed each day and therefore puts pressure on newbies from day one...with management being able to use it as a beating stick. Little wonder newbies are coming on here within days/weeks, stressed out and wanting to ask advice.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Am I being paranoid?
-
priority102
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 520
- Joined: 04 Aug 2009, 18:57
- Gender: Female
-
bcfcgaz
- Posts: 6
- Joined: 29 Sep 2021, 19:42
- Gender: Male
Re: Am I being paranoid?
I've been in the job 3 weeks now and all seems ok. No hassle from management and I have been on a van share so been shown how things work etc. What you have experienced sound ls awful and I feel for you, I don't think I could put up with and tbh if it was me I would just walk out but understand this is not easy for everyone.
It is disgusting to hear stuff like this can happen and worries me a lot.
It is disgusting to hear stuff like this can happen and worries me a lot.
-
POSTMAN
- SITE ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 32805
- Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
- Gender: Male
Re: Am I being paranoid?
Senior posties in his office, are you reading this!!
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
-
cpsteve
- Posts: 699
- Joined: 20 Apr 2016, 15:46
- Gender: Male
Re: Am I being paranoid?
Great point the senior posties should be all over this poor manager we have to stick together.
-
Dorset Plodder
- Posts: 4351
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
- Gender: Male
Re: Am I being paranoid?
I would say first port of call is definately your Unit Rep? Have you got one? Tell him the situation. If you're not happy with his response contact the Area Delivery Rep (Tel No On the Union Noticeboard somewhere). I'd say the way you are being treated is definately out of order.
I'm surprised a Special would just "Appear" on your frame. Most DOs have a system of signing them out of the locker to an individual duty, and you'd have to sign for them. Sometimes you do have to watch your back and it might be your colleagues trying to wind you up by dumping missorted parcels on you .... you meet all kinds of idiots in this business. We had a case of people nicking each others yorkes so we used to use a cycle lock to the frame ... Honest.
I'd suggest you load your van ....and lock it .... before taking a toilet break. Sometimes you've just got to be proactive and out think the Dickheads. 
There's no way you should be expected to deliver three days mail with the proviso you don't bring any back, that's just BS.
As mentioned: arm yourself with a copy of the Over Running Procedure .... and use it. They usually try and BS you with reasons you should complete but you do need to draw your own line for when you finish. So what if someone else goes faster, this isn't a bloody race. Your a Newbie and it takes time, and experience, to get your speed up. Try not to get stressed, half of this job is mental approach. Good luck keep us informed how you go. 
I'm surprised a Special would just "Appear" on your frame. Most DOs have a system of signing them out of the locker to an individual duty, and you'd have to sign for them. Sometimes you do have to watch your back and it might be your colleagues trying to wind you up by dumping missorted parcels on you .... you meet all kinds of idiots in this business. We had a case of people nicking each others yorkes so we used to use a cycle lock to the frame ... Honest.
There's no way you should be expected to deliver three days mail with the proviso you don't bring any back, that's just BS.
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
-
David walters
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 44
- Joined: 17 Jan 2017, 19:22
- Gender: Male
Re: Am I being paranoid?
I’ve been here I no how it feels .if you not in the union join it .if u got a rep in the office you need to get him involed so the manager no’s he can’t get away with us then .he try it on as you are a newbie this been going on for years If you havant got a rep in the office phone union office and ask for a area rep to come and see you once he sees this he wil back off u got to stand up to these bully’s other wise you life will be hell
-
Kenfandango
- Posts: 694
- Joined: 19 Oct 2021, 16:40
- Gender: Male
Re: Am I being paranoid?
Thanks for all the advice, people! Pretty sure that someone read this, as this week has been reasonable, and said manager has been well away from me (he's usually on our area at least 3 times a week, he's been at the other end of building the whole time: though he did shake his head at me when he saw me coming back to the depot!)
Also have been asked every day if I need help, and had people offering to take my tracked so I can clear the frame (it was my long weekend, it hadn't been done between Friday and Tuesday)
Also have been asked every day if I need help, and had people offering to take my tracked so I can clear the frame (it was my long weekend, it hadn't been done between Friday and Tuesday)
-
PleasedButSticky
- Posts: 51
- Joined: 04 Feb 2014, 11:25
- Gender: Male
Re: Am I being paranoid?
I'd love to be a workplace coach, free money. Never known one of them to lift a finger to help a new starter in any of 4 offices I worked in over the years.