ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Feel like packing it in already - my experience as a new starter

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

Re: Feel like packing it in already - my experience as a new starter

Post by aiden01 »

Jahpostie wrote: ↑
28 Oct 2021, 18:47
TrueBlueTerrier wrote: ↑
28 Oct 2021, 12:07
After 17 years in the job, I think you are at what I called the WTF stage.

You have been here just long enough to get the basics, but not yet understand the nuances to make it all flow.

You should have more support but if you go like nearly 99% of all posties that have started since I did within about 4 weeks (so just up t the Christmas rush) it will all of a sudden click and you'll look back and wonder when it happened.

Stick with it till after Christmas if you can, and then you'll have the best job in the world, but with the worst management, and the strangest company culture anywhere. It is a rewarding job, but it's one that needs grit and determination to make it enjoyable.
Maybe it was "the best job in the world" before it hit the stock exchange. Now how can it be, particularly for a reserve and since covid volumes, chucked about for years with daily unmanageable work loads. You've either been there forever with an easy walk or you're a manager. Let's not kid on the newbies. They had that at interview.
Can't wait for tbt replies to this post esp accusing him of being a manager ..do some people really read this site before they post tbt i would say is most honest person on here an keeps us all in check :thumbup
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32805
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Re: Feel like packing it in already - my experience as a new starter

Post by POSTMAN »

Jahpostie wrote: ↑
28 Oct 2021, 18:47
TrueBlueTerrier wrote: ↑
28 Oct 2021, 12:07
After 17 years in the job, I think you are at what I called the WTF stage.

You have been here just long enough to get the basics, but not yet understand the nuances to make it all flow.

You should have more support but if you go like nearly 99% of all posties that have started since I did within about 4 weeks (so just up t the Christmas rush) it will all of a sudden click and you'll look back and wonder when it happened.

Stick with it till after Christmas if you can, and then you'll have the best job in the world, but with the worst management, and the strangest company culture anywhere. It is a rewarding job, but it's one that needs grit and determination to make it enjoyable.
Maybe it was "the best job in the world" before it hit the stock exchange. Now how can it be, particularly for a reserve and since covid volumes, chucked about for years with daily unmanageable work loads. You've either been there forever with an easy walk or you're a manager. Let's not kid on the newbies. They had that at interview.
I missed the manager bit, seriously jah, wtf for fecks sake!
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
Jahpostie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 318
Joined: 23 Aug 2018, 16:17
Gender: Male

Re: Feel like packing it in already - my experience as a new starter

Post by Jahpostie »

Lol. Come on, "best job in the world". Now. For a reserve, absolutely no chance. I apologise for implying he is a manager it's just the comment coming from personal experience as 3 year reserve is ludicrous. Only someone with a cushy walk or a manager could come out with such a comment in October 2021. Maybe 1980 or something. Peace, just trying to give a newbie the reality in my experience.
Cazlew
Posts: 18
Joined: 04 Jul 2021, 17:51
Gender: Female
Location: Scotland

Re: Feel like packing it in already - my experience as a new starter

Post by Cazlew »

Almost word for word my current situation. Apart from van sharing. I am 6 hours a day 5 days a week.
By all account the round takes 4:30hr it takes 30 mins travelling to and from and minus my 30 break this leaves me with 30 mins for the inside duties. However it's taking me like you 1:30 to get out the door.
I have tried to have chats with other postie's and manager about it. Managers say it should take approx 20 mins to bundle my walk and be out the door from when I start shift. I asked what should I be coming into and was told everything thrown in and redirections done. This seems reasonable to me. However in reality I come into a tray of mail to throw in and 2 sacks of packets and redirections to do. This ontop of loading the van with large parcels and van checks too, means it's taking me upto 1:30. like you when I arrive alot of the other postie's are loading vans and leaving already. I have spoken to the postie's and they say they don't have enough time to prep my walk ( at least fully ) or I get the impressions they can't be bothered. In addition to this we seem to be doing 2 lots of lapsing every day that needs to be done before you start your own round 🤔. Anyhow I have been keeping time of each activity I am doing and making note. So I can go to them again and plead my case.

Breakdown.
1:30 indoor prep van loading.
4:30 round
30 mins travel
30 mins break
30 mins lapsing
So as you can see that's 1:30 over my hours. Not had to bring anything back yet but I feel it's going to become more unachievable and will have to.
Jahpostie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 318
Joined: 23 Aug 2018, 16:17
Gender: Male

Re: Feel like packing it in already - my experience as a new starter

Post by Jahpostie »

In terms of indoor prep and loading it used to take me upto 1 hr 15 on the various walks I did depending on what I walked into so I would say don't worry yourself. Most walks are too big for a part timer to finish on time if they start on their time and take their break. They are now designed so you never finish early. Lapsing is an add on so that full timers don't finish early but in effect it just adds further misery to the part timers that start on time and take their breaks.
redneck
Posts: 788
Joined: 04 Jan 2010, 20:28
Gender: Male

Re: Feel like packing it in already - my experience as a new starter

Post by redneck »

Cazlew wrote: ↑
28 Oct 2021, 22:01
Almost word for word my current situation. Apart from van sharing. I am 6 hours a day 5 days a week.
By all account the round takes 4:30hr it takes 30 mins travelling to and from and minus my 30 break this leaves me with 30 mins for the inside duties. However it's taking me like you 1:30 to get out the door.
I have tried to have chats with other postie's and manager about it. Managers say it should take approx 20 mins to bundle my walk and be out the door from when I start shift. I asked what should I be coming into and was told everything thrown in and redirections done. This seems reasonable to me. However in reality I come into a tray of mail to throw in and 2 sacks of packets and redirections to do. This ontop of loading the van with large parcels and van checks too, means it's taking me upto 1:30. like you when I arrive alot of the other postie's are loading vans and leaving already. I have spoken to the postie's and they say they don't have enough time to prep my walk ( at least fully ) or I get the impressions they can't be bothered. In addition to this we seem to be doing 2 lots of lapsing every day that needs to be done before you start your own round 🤔. Anyhow I have been keeping time of each activity I am doing and making note. So I can go to them again and plead my case.

Breakdown.
1:30 indoor prep van loading.
4:30 round
30 mins travel
30 mins break
30 mins lapsing
So as you can see that's 1:30 over my hours. Not had to bring anything back yet but I feel it's going to become more unachievable and will have to.
That is so very common in our office, and managers always believe a job can be done quicker.
Mr Rush
Posts: 3357
Joined: 05 Aug 2011, 14:27
Gender: Male

Re: Feel like packing it in already - my experience as a new starter

Post by Mr Rush »

Cazlew wrote: ↑
28 Oct 2021, 22:01
Managers say it should take approx 20 mins to bundle my walk and be out the door from when I start shift.
A familiar claim. Under ideal conditions, perhaps. Under real working conditions... I would love to see a manager demonstrate the feasability.
The machine stops.
mjd24
Posts: 1409
Joined: 11 May 2008, 18:48

Re: Feel like packing it in already - my experience as a new starter

Post by mjd24 »

Another post that i hope Simon will see.

It truly is disgusting as well as plain stupid the way some new starters are thrown in at the deep end. Ive witnessed it a lot recently and its almost as if managers are deliberately trying to get them to quit!!
bcfcgaz
Posts: 6
Joined: 29 Sep 2021, 19:42
Gender: Male

Re: Feel like packing it in already - my experience as a new starter

Post by bcfcgaz »

Basically exactly the same for me. Been doing it for two weeks now. Supposed to be 6hrs 5 days a week so 6.45-12.45(hahaha). Always an hours overtime on a quiet day, I had threes hours yesterday. I'm on a van share, I have to prep frame and end up with about three sacks of packets and we have one full york of parcels. The person I'm with has been off this week and it's been a mess. I had to do my bit in my own van on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday I was with someone, then they were off sick the next two days, so I had to basically prep two frames and do my loops while sorting out the parcels for someone else to take. This was all literally after about working the loop with someone for two days!
hawkeye622
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 122
Joined: 03 Jul 2019, 21:03
Gender: Male

Re: Feel like packing it in already - my experience as a new starter

Post by hawkeye622 »

And they wonder why they can't keep staff!!! :d'oh!
Jahpostie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 318
Joined: 23 Aug 2018, 16:17
Gender: Male

Re: Feel like packing it in already - my experience as a new starter

Post by Jahpostie »

bcfcgaz wrote: ↑
29 Oct 2021, 16:34
Basically exactly the same for me. Been doing it for two weeks now. Supposed to be 6hrs 5 days a week so 6.45-12.45(hahaha). Always an hours overtime on a quiet day, I had threes hours yesterday. I'm on a van share, I have to prep frame and end up with about three sacks of packets and we have one full york of parcels. The person I'm with has been off this week and it's been a mess. I had to do my bit in my own van on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday I was with someone, then they were off sick the next two days, so I had to basically prep two frames and do my loops while sorting out the parcels for someone else to take. This was all literally after about working the loop with someone for two days!
Best job in the world aye? :shock:
yellowbelly
Posts: 3728
Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
Gender: Male

Re: Feel like packing it in already - my experience as a new starter

Post by yellowbelly »

You had lapsing on a Wednesday????!!!! - absolutely bonkers - your partner should have put a stop to that even before prep
began on your frame.
Jahpostie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 318
Joined: 23 Aug 2018, 16:17
Gender: Male

Re: Feel like packing it in already - my experience as a new starter

Post by Jahpostie »

It was lapsing Monday to Friday when I recently left. Then on a Saturday the poor reserves assigned to the lapsing walks had to mop up all that was left during the week plus Saturday's volume. Absolutely disgusting IMHO.
TopperGas
Posts: 3526
Joined: 13 Feb 2021, 22:46
Gender: Male

Re: Feel like packing it in already - my experience as a new starter

Post by TopperGas »

Cazlew wrote: ↑
28 Oct 2021, 22:01
Almost word for word my current situation. Apart from van sharing. I am 6 hours a day 5 days a week.
By all account the round takes 4:30hr it takes 30 mins travelling to and from and minus my 30 break this leaves me with 30 mins for the inside duties. However it's taking me like you 1:30 to get out the door.
I have tried to have chats with other postie's and manager about it. Managers say it should take approx 20 mins to bundle my walk and be out the door from when I start shift. I asked what should I be coming into and was told everything thrown in and redirections done. This seems reasonable to me. However in reality I come into a tray of mail to throw in and 2 sacks of packets and redirections to do. This ontop of loading the van with large parcels and van checks too, means it's taking me upto 1:30. like you when I arrive alot of the other postie's are loading vans and leaving already. I have spoken to the postie's and they say they don't have enough time to prep my walk ( at least fully ) or I get the impressions they can't be bothered. In addition to this we seem to be doing 2 lots of lapsing every day that needs to be done before you start your own round 🤔. Anyhow I have been keeping time of each activity I am doing and making note. So I can go to them again and plead my case.

Breakdown.
1:30 indoor prep van loading.
4:30 round
30 mins travel
30 mins break
30 mins lapsing
So as you can see that's 1:30 over my hours. Not had to bring anything back yet but I feel it's going to become more unachievable and will have to.
1) What's going to be the outcome if you tell your manager to stick his lapsing as your haven't even got sufficient time to do your own round?
2) Are you claiming overtime for the 1 hrs 30 mins additional hours your are doing each day, if so, then perhaps your manager feels there's not an issue and he may as well pay you o/t to do the indoor prep etc than another OPG?
Cazlew
Posts: 18
Joined: 04 Jul 2021, 17:51
Gender: Female
Location: Scotland

Re: Feel like packing it in already - my experience as a new starter

Post by Cazlew »

:nana :cuppa
Last edited by Cazlew on 01 Nov 2021, 21:41, edited 1 time in total.