ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Mental health and stress.
-
stanleybowles
- Posts: 3
- Joined: 12 Oct 2007, 13:37
Mental health and stress.
Nobody (unless they're really lucky) enjoys going to work, I've been in the business for 30+ years and for the majority of the time it's been a pretty good job. The people are good ( well most of them) and once upon a time we were pretty much left alone to get on with the job. In the last couple of years though I've found myself absolutely hating this job. Thinking about going in tomorrow and facing yet another day of unreasonable workloads and stressful explanations of why you won't be able to complete makes me feel physically and mentally sick.
We've all seen the posters in our offices promoting mental health awareness and it's importance, and I'm sure we're all aware of the feeling first class service, but it all just feels like lip service. What in reality does the business do to promote mental wellness in delivery? It's all well and good having a safety net like feeling first class, but surely it would be better to try to reduce the amount of people who need it's help in the first place.
I've been in the union pretty much since I started at Royal Mail, and I've always supported their campaigns, but I get exceptionally annoyed that they very rarely seem to take the issue of what stress and anxiety are doing to Posties seriously, patting themselves on the back about revisions and suchlike when half of their members are fit to drop.
I thought about posting this on Workplace's 'Ask Simon' but then I got stressed about the 'interesting' conversation I'd probably end up having with local management.
Sorry for going on, I just needed to vent
We've all seen the posters in our offices promoting mental health awareness and it's importance, and I'm sure we're all aware of the feeling first class service, but it all just feels like lip service. What in reality does the business do to promote mental wellness in delivery? It's all well and good having a safety net like feeling first class, but surely it would be better to try to reduce the amount of people who need it's help in the first place.
I've been in the union pretty much since I started at Royal Mail, and I've always supported their campaigns, but I get exceptionally annoyed that they very rarely seem to take the issue of what stress and anxiety are doing to Posties seriously, patting themselves on the back about revisions and suchlike when half of their members are fit to drop.
I thought about posting this on Workplace's 'Ask Simon' but then I got stressed about the 'interesting' conversation I'd probably end up having with local management.
Sorry for going on, I just needed to vent
-
POSTMAN
- SITE ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 32805
- Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
- Gender: Male
Re: Mental health and stress.
As you write that, our very own Dr Davis is at a mental health summit...
Make A Difference Summits
Driving workplace culture ,mental health & wellbeing strategies, innovation and investment, including workplace design
I thought about posting this on Workplace's 'Ask Simon' but then I got stressed about the 'interesting' conversation I'd probably end up having with local management.
RMCtv : Forcing revisions at the cost of staff mental health, wellbeing, morale and QoS? : Simon Thompson "My fault, I hear it a lot, but phone a helpline"
Vent away mate, that's why we're here.
Make A Difference Summits
Driving workplace culture ,mental health & wellbeing strategies, innovation and investment, including workplace design
I thought about posting this on Workplace's 'Ask Simon' but then I got stressed about the 'interesting' conversation I'd probably end up having with local management.
RMCtv : Forcing revisions at the cost of staff mental health, wellbeing, morale and QoS? : Simon Thompson "My fault, I hear it a lot, but phone a helpline"
Vent away mate, that's why we're here.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
-
noggin1969
- Posts: 1321
- Joined: 13 Oct 2009, 17:28
- Gender: Male
Re: Mental health and stress.
l
Last edited by noggin1969 on 01 Feb 2024, 16:59, edited 1 time in total.
-
nightcrawler
- Posts: 189
- Joined: 20 Sep 2018, 17:05
- Gender: Male
Re: Mental health and stress.
All I can say is that you are far from alone on this, but people don’t really like to talk about it (face-to-face I mean, at work). I’ve also done 30 years, and for the last few years have started to hate the job. The pandemic has just accelerated this. I’m on anti-depressants (for anxiety) and recently even sleeping tablets (though not every night). When you’re having to take sleeping tablets because the thought of going to work gives you restless nights...you know something is wrong with your job. Needless to say, I’m on the verge of quitting. Will probably go in November when things get really bad. Our union is also useless. When we mention workloads to him all he says is “just work till your time - the rest is their problem”. A valid point, but not very helpful.
Last edited by nightcrawler on 21 Oct 2021, 20:48, edited 1 time in total.
-
EdRush
- Posts: 123
- Joined: 19 Oct 2016, 20:18
- Gender: Male
Re: Mental health and stress.
Writing down the amount of time the walk will take can provide ammunition in a workload argument against a bulling and emotionally blackmailing manager
My day on a Wednesday (contracted to 5 hours on Wednesday)
Throw in york full of packets and do redirections = 30 mins
Tie up = 30mins
Van check = 10 mins
Load van = 5 mins
Travel time = 10 mins
6 loops = 4hours +15mins
20 Heavy/Large packets = 1 hour
Toilet break = 5 mins (including travel to nearest allocated location on walklog)
Cut off to do SD's = 5 mins
Meal relief = 30 mins (40 mins on a +7 hour day)
Unloading van and boxing off at office = 5 mins
Total time = 7 hours 35 mins
As a part timer I can either book 2h35min 'overtime' (normal pay rate) or cut off 2h25min worth of mail and packets and finish on my contracted time pending on manager agreement. Ironically, having this argument with a manager who uses bullying and harassment tactics can take another 5-10 mins off your day!
My rule of thumb, is 40 mins per loop and 3 mins per large/heavy packet*
My day on a Wednesday (contracted to 5 hours on Wednesday)
Throw in york full of packets and do redirections = 30 mins
Tie up = 30mins
Van check = 10 mins
Load van = 5 mins
Travel time = 10 mins
6 loops = 4hours +15mins
20 Heavy/Large packets = 1 hour
Toilet break = 5 mins (including travel to nearest allocated location on walklog)
Cut off to do SD's = 5 mins
Meal relief = 30 mins (40 mins on a +7 hour day)
Unloading van and boxing off at office = 5 mins
Total time = 7 hours 35 mins
As a part timer I can either book 2h35min 'overtime' (normal pay rate) or cut off 2h25min worth of mail and packets and finish on my contracted time pending on manager agreement. Ironically, having this argument with a manager who uses bullying and harassment tactics can take another 5-10 mins off your day!
My rule of thumb, is 40 mins per loop and 3 mins per large/heavy packet*
-
WalkerX
- Posts: 432
- Joined: 20 Feb 2021, 22:31
- Gender: Male
Re: Mental health and stress.
Very similar to my day. Reserve covering absences on two walks. Tracked and oversized on two walks, post on one (6 loops) including what was brought back by someone yesterday. 2 post box collections. I`m still relatively new, so I don`t think 8 hours is too bad. No point in cutting off as I`d only have to take it out tomorrow anyway, and I don`t want to be playing catch -up from the off.EdRush wrote: ↑21 Oct 2021, 20:37Writing down the amount of time the walk will take can provide ammunition in a workload argument against a bulling and emotionally blackmailing manager
My day on a Wednesday (contracted to 5 hours on Wednesday)
Throw in york full of packets and do redirections = 30 mins
Tie up = 30mins
Van check = 10 mins
Load van = 5 mins
Travel time = 10 mins
6 loops = 4hours +15mins
20 Heavy/Large packets = 1 hour
Toilet break = 5 mins (including travel to nearest allocated location on walklog)
Cut off to do SD's = 5 mins
Meal relief = 30 mins (40 mins on a +7 hour day)
Unloading van and boxing off at office = 5 mins
Total time = 7 hours 35 mins
As a part timer I can either book 2h35min 'overtime' (normal pay rate) or cut off 2h25min worth of mail and packets and finish on my contracted time pending on manager agreement. Ironically, having this argument with a manager who uses bullying and harassment tactics can take another 5-10 mins off your day!
My rule of thumb, is 40 mins per loop and 3 mins per large/heavy packet*
-
iHateD2Ds
- Posts: 548
- Joined: 16 Apr 2008, 16:33
Re: Mental health and stress.
RMG’s Masterplan Revision has finally nailed the coffin lid shut for many.
Our reward for working throughout The Pandemic ?
A Gross of extra workload causing more stress and anxiety.
(And those extra hours you put in are paid at lower rate)
You could not make it up ,and it’s very strange that our Union Leaders are very quiet, when it’s plain to see what’s going on in every Delivery Office.
Many,will call it a day and hand in their notice whilst others stuffer in silence.
Our reward for working throughout The Pandemic ?
A Gross of extra workload causing more stress and anxiety.
(And those extra hours you put in are paid at lower rate)
You could not make it up ,and it’s very strange that our Union Leaders are very quiet, when it’s plain to see what’s going on in every Delivery Office.
Many,will call it a day and hand in their notice whilst others stuffer in silence.
-
swintontillidie
- Posts: 97
- Joined: 18 Jul 2007, 14:14
Re: Mental health and stress.
I had a bad breakdown two years ago resulting in a suicide attempt,this wasnt caused by work.However I'm really struggling at the moment and it's all work related.Im regularly working well past my finish time being asked to do a full work and tracked on the partner walk.I should say no but I feel obliged to do it.The pressure is making me I'll,I cant sleep my appetite and zest for life has just gone.Nobody bothers to check how people are dealing with the pressure.Attitude seems to be it's just how it is yet management take their days off and regularly go home at their normal time There doesnt seem to be any effort to change things for the better and most people just want to get out.
-
Sir Henry
- Posts: 1316
- Joined: 24 Oct 2014, 00:33
- Gender: Male
Re: Mental health an
Bud, for the sake of yourself, your loved ones, your health and your sanity get some help. Be it in the shape of a good rep or area rep or from a doctor. Youre not obliged to dig these c***s out of the hole they have willingly jumped into in the name of circumventing that pesky USO just to please hedge fund managers and banks. Make such an almighty stink that any RM stormtrooper will lose their erection at the sight of you approaching.
"Nunquam stercore domibus somno sane semper"
"Nunquam stercore domibus somno sane semper"
"A third of the world's farmland is now useless due to soil degradation, yet we still keep producing mouths to feed. And what's you answer to that? Energy saving lightbulbs?"
-
Haditup
- Posts: 195
- Joined: 27 Nov 2020, 07:08
- Gender: Male
Re: Mental health and stress.
Sir Henry (previous post) as hit the nail on the head.swintontillidie wrote: ↑24 Oct 2021, 22:45I had a bad breakdown two years ago resulting in a suicide attempt,this wasnt caused by work.However I'm really struggling at the moment and it's all work related.Im regularly working well past my finish time being asked to do a full work and tracked on the partner walk.I should say no but I feel obliged to do it.The pressure is making me I'll,I cant sleep my appetite and zest for life has just gone.Nobody bothers to check how people are dealing with the pressure.Attitude seems to be it's just how it is yet management take their days off and regularly go home at their normal time There doesnt seem to be any effort to change things for the better and most people just want to get out.
Our CEO is on more than £500,000 a year and a nice pension, he probably as trouble sleeping too.
But his reward is a extortionate compared to frontline posties and if it gets too much he will just move on .
We are on a different platform (the @£#&ing bottom),conditioned to enslaving ourselves to misery,The working class.
We have a choice but fear dictates , it doesn’t have to be that way.
-
mjd24
- Posts: 1409
- Joined: 11 May 2008, 18:48
Re: Mental health and stress.
So sorry to hear about what youve been through. Ive suffered with depression for a long long time but ive never been close to considering taking my own life and i really feel for you.swintontillidie wrote: ↑24 Oct 2021, 22:45I had a bad breakdown two years ago resulting in a suicide attempt,this wasnt caused by work.However I'm really struggling at the moment and it's all work related.Im regularly working well past my finish time being asked to do a full work and tracked on the partner walk.I should say no but I feel obliged to do it.The pressure is making me I'll,I cant sleep my appetite and zest for life has just gone.Nobody bothers to check how people are dealing with the pressure.Attitude seems to be it's just how it is yet management take their days off and regularly go home at their normal time There doesnt seem to be any effort to change things for the better and most people just want to get out.
Are Royal Mail aware of your suicide attempt? You say it wasnt related to work but surely you dont need the extra pressures of whats going on in work now to potentially push you back to that sort of dark place.
-
stanleybowles
- Posts: 3
- Joined: 12 Oct 2007, 13:37
Re: Mental health and stress.
Really sorry to read that mate, I can recognise a lot of what you describe in my own behaviour.swintontillidie wrote: ↑24 Oct 2021, 22:45I had a bad breakdown two years ago resulting in a suicide attempt,this wasnt caused by work.However I'm really struggling at the moment and it's all work related.Im regularly working well past my finish time being asked to do a full work and tracked on the partner walk.I should say no but I feel obliged to do it.The pressure is making me I'll,I cant sleep my appetite and zest for life has just gone.Nobody bothers to check how people are dealing with the pressure.Attitude seems to be it's just how it is yet management take their days off and regularly go home at their normal time There doesnt seem to be any effort to change things for the better and most people just want to get out.
I really need to step away for a while but I know I would then stress about going back.
I've stopped working past my time, but of course that then involves a daily grilling when we say what we can and can't do. I know I'm within my rights to say no to going past my time but it's so bloody wearing to have to jump through the same hoops every day. A proper vicious circle.
-
ssdd
- Posts: 2053
- Joined: 06 Sep 2018, 22:39
- Gender: Male
-
paulus103
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 216
- Joined: 19 Jan 2018, 01:55
- Gender: Male
Re: Mental health and stress.
I can relate to some of your feelings and I know it's not easy but you need to put yourself first. Please talk to somebody - it does help. No job is worth this. Take care mate.swintontillidie wrote: ↑24 Oct 2021, 22:45I had a bad breakdown two years ago resulting in a suicide attempt,this wasnt caused by work.However I'm really struggling at the moment and it's all work related.Im regularly working well past my finish time being asked to do a full work and tracked on the partner walk.I should say no but I feel obliged to do it.The pressure is making me I'll,I cant sleep my appetite and zest for life has just gone.Nobody bothers to check how people are dealing with the pressure.Attitude seems to be it's just how it is yet management take their days off and regularly go home at their normal time There doesnt seem to be any effort to change things for the better and most people just want to get out.