ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Groin problem

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Paulo1963
Posts: 37
Joined: 21 Mar 2011, 16:44
Gender: Male

Groin problem

Post by Paulo1963 »

Hi
I would appreciate some advice. I’ve been off work for over 3 weeks now with a groin problem. I wake up fine yet after walking for an hour I have acute pain where my thigh and groin meet. I’ve seen a private Chiropractor and have been doing strengthening exercises but there’s no improvement. I have a further 2 weeks off before being due to return to work. I have an NHS musculoskeletal clinic phone appointment on 17/11 as I can’t keep going private due to the cost. Any NHS treatment is going to take time.
This could be a long term absence but a manager has suggested light indoor duties. However, if I go back and the pain continues, going sick again will equate to 2 sick periods rather than 1 long sick period. I’m going stir crazy at home and would like to return to work, I also want to show willing.
What would you do?
Haditup
Posts: 195
Joined: 27 Nov 2020, 07:08
Gender: Male

Re: Groin problem

Post by Haditup »

You could both agree ,if you return and go off sick again it will only count as one absence, but the agreement needs to be written on headed paper signed and dated.

DO NOT return with a verbal agreement and get the written agreement before you return.
scoobydo79
Posts: 2057
Joined: 15 May 2011, 19:04
Gender: Male

Re: Groin problem

Post by scoobydo79 »

OP Has it crossed Your mind it is the beginnings of an inguinal hernia? This is how mine started. Even I and My Doctor thought it groin strain and a soft tissue problem at first. Don’t want to alarm You but keep an eyes open for a bulge in the area.
Paulo1963
Posts: 37
Joined: 21 Mar 2011, 16:44
Gender: Male

Re: Groin problem

Post by Paulo1963 »

I have a bulge but I had an MRI privately and they haven’t identified it as a hernia 😳
scoobydo79
Posts: 2057
Joined: 15 May 2011, 19:04
Gender: Male

Re: Groin problem

Post by scoobydo79 »

Ahh OK. Have a snoop through recent posts on here.Search Inguinal Hernia. See if some of the comments could apply to You. I’m currently waiting on a specialist appointment for one.
Paulo1963
Posts: 37
Joined: 21 Mar 2011, 16:44
Gender: Male

Re: Groin problem

Post by Paulo1963 »

Thanks
User avatar
tomtallis
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 268
Joined: 28 Oct 2020, 09:18
Gender: Male

Re: Groin problem

Post by tomtallis »

.
Last edited by tomtallis on 12 Nov 2021, 18:48, edited 1 time in total.
Paulo1963
Posts: 37
Joined: 21 Mar 2011, 16:44
Gender: Male

Re: Groin problem

Post by Paulo1963 »

Guess it’s about trust. One of the rare occasions in my life I’m going to have to put myself first. If I don’t why would I expect Royal Mail to. I don’t like sitting at home but I don’t want to end up with a permanent disability.
User avatar
tomtallis
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 268
Joined: 28 Oct 2020, 09:18
Gender: Male

Re: Groin problem

Post by tomtallis »

.
Last edited by tomtallis on 12 Nov 2021, 18:49, edited 1 time in total.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: Groin problem

Post by Dorset Plodder »

I've had groin strains in the past and I believe they were caused, and certainly not helped, by the Older Vauxhall Combis! :shock:

You used to have to do the splits everytime you climbed in and out of the Combis (often 50 times a day), and sometimes have to climb up the kerb they were that low! :crazy:

Do you think something like this might have caused your problem? Since we've had "Proper" Vans, with a much higher seat, the problems not reoccured, thank god. I used to have to get out like the Queen with both legs together and swivleing on the seat. :cuppa
Last edited by Dorset Plodder on 25 Oct 2021, 17:54, edited 1 time in total.
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
Paulo1963
Posts: 37
Joined: 21 Mar 2011, 16:44
Gender: Male

Re: Groin problem

Post by Paulo1963 »

The physio said it’s wear and tear from 33 years being a postman. I push an HCT around and am guessing my legs are simply f***ed. I had my other groin go 18 months ago and was off for 9 weeks. I’ve also got Plante Fasciitis and as the MRI revealed, Osteoarthritis in the hips ☹️
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: Groin problem

Post by Dorset Plodder »

Paulo1963 wrote: ↑
24 Oct 2021, 22:36
The physio said it’s wear and tear from 33 years being a postman.
Nothing to do with vans then Paulo .... well that pissed on my bonfire!

I know what you mean about the plantars struggled with that for over a year, I must be a mug ... when I see some colleagues taking time off with minor aches & sprains I think WTF! :shock: We'll obviously all struggle with the arthritis as we get older, the cold & wet doesn't help does it? :sad:

Perhaps it's time to consider IHR mate and get a nice warm indoor job? :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
eastie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2234
Joined: 16 Jun 2011, 15:32
Gender: Male

Re: Groin problem

Post by eastie »

Have to laugh at the 6ft 8 inch postie trying to get into a Vauxhall Combi with his knees up by his ears trying to drive it
Paulo1963
Posts: 37
Joined: 21 Mar 2011, 16:44
Gender: Male

Re: Groin problem

Post by Paulo1963 »

Dorset Plodder wrote: ↑
25 Oct 2021, 18:02
Paulo1963 wrote: ↑
24 Oct 2021, 22:36
The physio said it’s wear and tear from 33 years being a postman.
Nothing to do with vans then Paulo .... well that pissed on my bonfire!

I know what you mean about the plantars struggled with that for over a year, I must be a mug ... when I see some colleagues taking time off with minor aches & sprains I think WTF! :shock: We'll obviously all struggle with the arthritis as we get older, the cold & wet doesn't help does it? :sad:

Perhaps it's time to consider IHR mate and get a nice warm indoor job? :cuppa
My thoughts exactly
CB3
Posts: 4
Joined: 10 Jan 2012, 16:23
Gender: Male

Re: Groin problem

Post by CB3 »

Hi . I went to my GP last week with the same problem. After being sent to Hospital, after a scan I had surgery for inguinal hernia the following day. Been signed off by the consultant for a month. Your return to work should be agreed by a medical professional and not your manager as your managers idea of light duty’s may aggravate your injury. Good luck .