ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Anyone here worked a sunday on parcels?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
ArtG
Posts: 29
Joined: 24 Sep 2020, 09:01
Gender: Male

Re: Anyone here worked a sunday on parcels?

Post by ArtG »

Db2012 wrote: ↑
23 Oct 2021, 15:31
How’s it work if your contracted hrs are 9-3 but then they expect you to work from 12 on a Sunday
I have no idea. My contracted hours are 12 to 17:30 but I never start later than 8 and at least a couple of days a week at 6:15.
grumpazoid
Posts: 30
Joined: 05 Feb 2019, 09:26
Gender: Male

Re: Anyone here worked a sunday on parcels?

Post by grumpazoid »

Blaine wrote: ↑
23 Oct 2021, 17:20
If you are contracted for Sunday make sure you receive the Sunday allowance of £5.83 per hour. It can be backdated as well. So many people I hear just getting the basic rate and line managers aren't even aware of it.
This has reminded me of an hilarious conversation I had with a manager just the other day.

LINO: What are your days off this week?
ME: Friday and Saturday.
LINO: Would you like to swap your day off from Friday to Sunday?
ME: So I work the Friday and then have Saturday and Sunday off?
LINO: If you could, it would be a big help.
ME: If you pay me for Friday at the same hourly rate that I receive on Sunday, then yes.
LINO: What?
ME: You know, the Sunday supplement?
LINO: Erm... What's that?
ME: The extra five and a bit quid per hour I get on a Sunday.
LINO: I wasn't aware of that. Well, we can't pay you at that rate if you come in on Friday, but we'd need you to work more hours than you would on a Sunday so, technically, you'd be making up the money anyway.
ME: So, the offer is "Work MORE HOURS and receive NO EXTRA MONEY"?
LINO: Erm...
ME: I think I'll just stick with my days off as they are, thanks.
TopperGas
Posts: 3526
Joined: 13 Feb 2021, 22:46
Gender: Male

Re: Anyone here worked a sunday on parcels?

Post by TopperGas »

Db2012 wrote: ↑
23 Oct 2021, 15:31
ArtG wrote: ↑
07 Sep 2021, 11:28
I work most Sundays. It makes a nice change from plodding around the streets on a normal duty. We never have a manager in so we have an efficient process from when the first yorks arrive at around 7:30 to getting out at 8:30 or so. Sometimes there’s a second wave which may mean going out twice but generally all done by 2, sometimes 12. The volume estimates are crap though and we’ve sometimes got double what we resourced for . No choice but to fail some in those circumstances.
How’s it work if your contracted hrs are 9-3 but then they expect you to work from 12 on a Sunday
Probably you either work from 12 or quit? Although do they have any earlier delivery runs you can delivery instead?
rambo1
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3266
Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
Gender: Male

Re: Anyone here worked a sunday on parcels?

Post by rambo1 »

grumpazoid wrote: ↑
24 Oct 2021, 07:59
Blaine wrote: ↑
23 Oct 2021, 17:20
If you are contracted for Sunday make sure you receive the Sunday allowance of £5.83 per hour. It can be backdated as well. So many people I hear just getting the basic rate and line managers aren't even aware of it.
This has reminded me of an hilarious conversation I had with a manager just the other day.

LINO: What are your days off this week?
ME: Friday and Saturday.
LINO: Would you like to swap your day off from Friday to Sunday?
ME: So I work the Friday and then have Saturday and Sunday off?
LINO: If you could, it would be a big help.
ME: If you pay me for Friday at the same hourly rate that I receive on Sunday, then yes.
LINO: What?
ME: You know, the Sunday supplement?
LINO: Erm... What's that?
ME: The extra five and a bit quid per hour I get on a Sunday.
LINO: I wasn't aware of that. Well, we can't pay you at that rate if you come in on Friday, but we'd need you to work more hours than you would on a Sunday so, technically, you'd be making up the money anyway.
ME: So, the offer is "Work MORE HOURS and receive NO EXTRA MONEY"?
LINO: Erm...
ME: I think I'll just stick with my days off as they are, thanks.
Can't pull the wool over your eyes. I'm sure some would have fallen for his politician style answer though!
rambo1
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3266
Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
Gender: Male

Re: Anyone here worked a sunday on parcels?

Post by rambo1 »

rambo1 wrote: ↑
24 Oct 2021, 10:05
grumpazoid wrote: ↑
24 Oct 2021, 07:59
Blaine wrote: ↑
23 Oct 2021, 17:20
If you are contracted for Sunday make sure you receive the Sunday allowance of £5.83 per hour. It can be backdated as well. So many people I hear just getting the basic rate and line managers aren't even aware of it.
This has reminded me of an hilarious conversation I had with a manager just the other day.

LINO: What are your days off this week?
ME: Friday and Saturday.
LINO: Would you like to swap your day off from Friday to Sunday?
ME: So I work the Friday and then have Saturday and Sunday off?
LINO: If you could, it would be a big help.
ME: If you pay me for Friday at the same hourly rate that I receive on Sunday, then yes.
LINO: What?
ME: You know, the Sunday supplement?
LINO: Erm... What's that?
ME: The extra five and a bit quid per hour I get on a Sunday.
LINO: I wasn't aware of that. Well, we can't pay you at that rate if you come in on Friday, but we'd need you to work more hours than you would on a Sunday so, technically, you'd be making up the money anyway.
ME: So, the offer is "Work MORE HOURS and receive NO EXTRA MONEY"?
LINO: Erm...
ME: I think I'll just stick with my days off as they are, thanks.
Can't pull the wool over your eyes. I'm sure some would have fallen for his politician style answer though!
As an aside, did you have to ask for the Sunday supplement or was it applied automatically, just asking as I may be going onto a duty involving Sunday working. Cheers. Just wanted to arm myself for the inevitable 'no don't think you're entitled to that' ,line.