Hi i'm looking for some information or advice on my current position.
So the basic information of my situation i've been a postman for 8 years and 3 months ago i was signed off with a bad hip and i'm waiting to find out if i'll be operated on because of my ages 32. I should find out in 4 weeks when i see the doctor but i have been advised by my doctor this job is no longer suited for me for obvious reasons.
Last week i had a meeting with my manager to keep in contact and we discussed my situation as i currently have a doctors note covering me for another 6 weeks. He told me i would not be put forward for ill health retirement at this time but royal mail could offer me a simple option of 34 weeks pay. ( this is something i had asked about as i wanted to know my options if i choose to leave )
This is a option i would like to consider as i feel it's time for a change of career away form royal mail, but i wanted to know a few more details before i contact my manager again as searching online all i can find is ill get 34 weeks pay.
My questions i have is will the 34 weeks be full pay or will my current sick pay be taken out of this so minus the time i've currently been off ? What else is included in regards to my pension. How will the 34 weeks be taxed ? Will the lump sum include PILON ?
i would like to have a bit more information before agreeing to anything and contacting me manager (i would prefer to enter the meeting with my own information ) so far i've contacted HR that had minimal information and i'm waiting for my union rep to get back in contact with me.
Any help or extra information for me to look at would be a great help.
Thanks
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
ill health / agree to leave with 34 weeks pay
-
royalblue55
- Posts: 2
- Joined: 19 Oct 2021, 11:56
- Gender: Male
-
RobertT
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 6700
- Joined: 09 Sep 2007, 14:26
- Gender: Male
Re: ill health / agree to leave with 34 weeks pay
It should be 34 weeks pay tax free, plus 9 weeks PILON which is taxable.
As far as I'm aware it'll be based on your pay at the time but I don't know if that includes delivery supplement or any other allowances you may get.
Someone may be along to confirm....
I assume you're in the RM Defined Contribution Plan with Scottish Widows.
In which case you can either transfer your pension money to another pension provider or keep it where it is.
Either way, you won't normally be entitled to access the money until the legal minimum age, which in your case will probably at least 58.
As far as I'm aware it'll be based on your pay at the time but I don't know if that includes delivery supplement or any other allowances you may get.
Someone may be along to confirm....
I assume you're in the RM Defined Contribution Plan with Scottish Widows.
In which case you can either transfer your pension money to another pension provider or keep it where it is.
Either way, you won't normally be entitled to access the money until the legal minimum age, which in your case will probably at least 58.
Links to all RM pension related websites are here
-
royalblue55
- Posts: 2
- Joined: 19 Oct 2021, 11:56
- Gender: Male
Re: ill health / agree to leave with 34 weeks pay
Thanks Robert
I'll contact my manager this week and try get some details confirmed or maybe a offer put forward i can look over.
Thanks again
I'll contact my manager this week and try get some details confirmed or maybe a offer put forward i can look over.
Thanks again
-
nightcrawler
- Posts: 189
- Joined: 20 Sep 2018, 17:05
- Gender: Male
Re: ill health / agree to leave with 34 weeks pay
Can anyone ask for ill health retirement? And is the payout the same or does it depend on your service? For example, could I ask for IHR on the grounds I find the job too stressful now and want to leave. Can they refuse? I want to leave before Christmas anyway. I’ve done 30 years.
-
RobertT
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 6700
- Joined: 09 Sep 2007, 14:26
- Gender: Male
Re: ill health / agree to leave with 34 weeks pay
Most people who get IHR are off sick long term and have been medically assessed and deemed not able to work for RM anymore.nightcrawler wrote: ↑20 Oct 2021, 16:16Can anyone ask for ill health retirement? And is the payout the same or does it depend on your service? For example, could I ask for IHR on the grounds I find the job too stressful now and want to leave. Can they refuse? I want to leave before Christmas anyway. I’ve done 30 years.
You can't just request it because you fancy a pay off for leaving.
Links to all RM pension related websites are here
-
nightcrawler
- Posts: 189
- Joined: 20 Sep 2018, 17:05
- Gender: Male
Re: ill health / agree to leave with 34 weeks pay
Ok, cheers. It was worth a try!RobertT wrote: ↑20 Oct 2021, 16:22Most people who get IHR are off sick long term and have been medically assessed and deemed not able to work for RM anymore.nightcrawler wrote: ↑20 Oct 2021, 16:16Can anyone ask for ill health retirement? And is the payout the same or does it depend on your service? For example, could I ask for IHR on the grounds I find the job too stressful now and want to leave. Can they refuse? I want to leave before Christmas anyway. I’ve done 30 years.
You can't just request it because you fancy a pay off for leaving.