ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Bringing things back to the depot
-
Kenfandango
- Posts: 694
- Joined: 19 Oct 2021, 16:40
- Gender: Male
Bringing things back to the depot
Hi, I'm new so apologies if this is in the wrong place.
I've been a postie for 6 weeks now, and have been released on my own to some of our more rural duties. One of them is a clear 39 mile round trip, and on Saturday I was on it, alone, for the first time and it was absolutely stacked. I get a third of the way round by 12.30 and realise I've got a 1pm right at the end of the route. Drive for 20 minutes to get to it, wait another 5 or so to get through the electric gates, up the long old drive and wait for someone to take it.
I then reasoned I should do the post from that section, rather than another 20 minute drive. I continued delivering the route backwards, but went over and didn't get back to the chunk I had missed. I've seen people bring things back regularly so (as I was on it Monday) I resolved to return and put it back in the frame, as I needed to pick my kids up by 4.
Back at the depot, at 3.30, I get balled out by 2 separate line managers for not doing my job properly. While this is happening I see 2 other people bringing more back than I did, with no criticism, and most frames had crates of undelivered mail on them.
Was I wrong to bring it back?
I've been a postie for 6 weeks now, and have been released on my own to some of our more rural duties. One of them is a clear 39 mile round trip, and on Saturday I was on it, alone, for the first time and it was absolutely stacked. I get a third of the way round by 12.30 and realise I've got a 1pm right at the end of the route. Drive for 20 minutes to get to it, wait another 5 or so to get through the electric gates, up the long old drive and wait for someone to take it.
I then reasoned I should do the post from that section, rather than another 20 minute drive. I continued delivering the route backwards, but went over and didn't get back to the chunk I had missed. I've seen people bring things back regularly so (as I was on it Monday) I resolved to return and put it back in the frame, as I needed to pick my kids up by 4.
Back at the depot, at 3.30, I get balled out by 2 separate line managers for not doing my job properly. While this is happening I see 2 other people bringing more back than I did, with no criticism, and most frames had crates of undelivered mail on them.
Was I wrong to bring it back?
-
sindba
- Posts: 1456
- Joined: 05 Feb 2012, 20:27
- Gender: Male
Re: Bringing things back to the depot
You need to inform a manager in advance that you might need to bring stuff back.
Ideally before you leave the office in the morning or, if not, then phone them as soon as it's obvious you will need to bring items back.
You can't just bring stuff back without that discussion.
Ideally before you leave the office in the morning or, if not, then phone them as soon as it's obvious you will need to bring items back.
You can't just bring stuff back without that discussion.
-
Kenfandango
- Posts: 694
- Joined: 19 Oct 2021, 16:40
- Gender: Male
Re: Bringing things back to the depot
Ah okay, I've never seen anyone do that!
-
hawkeye622
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 122
- Joined: 03 Jul 2019, 21:03
- Gender: Male
Re: Bringing things back to the depot
Yeah, discuss with your manager if you think you won't complete. Would love to say it should be a straight forward discussion but usually it isn't
Also, unless the 1pm specials have a yellow SG sticker on them you don't need to worry about delivering them before 1 on a Saturday.
Also, unless the 1pm specials have a yellow SG sticker on them you don't need to worry about delivering them before 1 on a Saturday.
-
noggin1969
- Posts: 1321
- Joined: 13 Oct 2009, 17:28
- Gender: Male
Re: Bringing things back to the depot
The cut-off procedure should have been told to you by the induction and workplace coach and hopefully the union rep. I say should have understanding, they don't on many occasions. Always tell them you may not complete, especially on rurals.
Last edited by noggin1969 on 05 Feb 2024, 16:46, edited 1 time in total.
-
luddite
- Posts: 451
- Joined: 06 May 2008, 20:24
Re: Bringing things back to the depot
You did your best.
It's called bullying and harassment but don't worry the CWU are all over it.
It's called bullying and harassment but don't worry the CWU are all over it.
-
Kenfandango
- Posts: 694
- Joined: 19 Oct 2021, 16:40
- Gender: Male
Re: Bringing things back to the depot
RE cut off procedure: on induction I was told "we never give you more than you can handle, especially in your first 6 months."
Yes I kind of knew that wasn't the case!
The route in question was rejigged after I learned it, taking a small section (max 20 minutes as all houses are close,) and replacing with what the usual guy describes as "minimum of an hour, probably 90 minutes or more on a heavy day." Apparently a computer told them that would be more efficient
Yes I kind of knew that wasn't the case!
The route in question was rejigged after I learned it, taking a small section (max 20 minutes as all houses are close,) and replacing with what the usual guy describes as "minimum of an hour, probably 90 minutes or more on a heavy day." Apparently a computer told them that would be more efficient
-
ninja
- Posts: 193
- Joined: 08 Sep 2010, 20:16
- Gender: Male
Re: Bringing things back to the depot
Procedure attached.
Your office should have a local plan. But managers tend to ignore this agreement and don't like putting things in writing.
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=18563&p=727920
Your office should have a local plan. But managers tend to ignore this agreement and don't like putting things in writing.
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=18563&p=727920
-
tomtallis
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 268
- Joined: 28 Oct 2020, 09:18
- Gender: Male
Re: Bringing things back to the depot
.
Last edited by tomtallis on 12 Nov 2021, 21:10, edited 1 time in total.
-
cockneyrebel
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 117
- Joined: 08 Nov 2017, 13:54
- Gender: Male
Re: Bringing things back to the depot
Massive Surprise 2 Line Managers still in a depot at 3-30 on a Saturday ??
Never seen that in 23 years in the job !!!!
You just do what you can do, we all know whats going on all over the UK at present
Depots in disarray, Fatigue/illness/injury taking huge toll
Morale ??
Ghost overtime in the spotlight !!
Revisions ?? guess we could just fall about laughing or crying re those
You always know when things going poorly
The Senior Management go very quiet on the media front
6 weeks in the job ?? you just get thrown in and little understanding of what the job really entails nowadays re the so called training !!!
Keep battling-just try your best, and try not to worry about it
Never seen that in 23 years in the job !!!!
You just do what you can do, we all know whats going on all over the UK at present
Depots in disarray, Fatigue/illness/injury taking huge toll
Morale ??
Ghost overtime in the spotlight !!
Revisions ?? guess we could just fall about laughing or crying re those
You always know when things going poorly
The Senior Management go very quiet on the media front
6 weeks in the job ?? you just get thrown in and little understanding of what the job really entails nowadays re the so called training !!!
Keep battling-just try your best, and try not to worry about it
-
POSTMAN
- SITE ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 32805
- Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
- Gender: Male
Re: Bringing things back to the depot
Get your rep involved, what's happened is out of order.
Are you getting training on these routes?
Are you getting training on these routes?
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
-
SpacePhoenix
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 12195
- Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
- Gender: Male
Re: Bringing things back to the depot
Been sent out on delivery?cockneyrebel wrote: ↑19 Oct 2021, 19:36Massive Surprise 2 Line Managers still in a depot at 3-30 on a Saturday ??
Never seen that in 23 years in the job !!!!
-
WASD
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 375
- Joined: 03 Jul 2019, 12:15
- Gender: Male
Re: Bringing things back to the depot
Join the union if you haven't already, they can help a bit, local reps might not be so great though.
If you've not been told the procedure and you've done as your training showed you, then you've done all correctly. Not your fault they can't train properly. Don't stress it. I'd just play dumb, they're trying to play you.
If you've not been told the procedure and you've done as your training showed you, then you've done all correctly. Not your fault they can't train properly. Don't stress it. I'd just play dumb, they're trying to play you.
-
redneck
- Posts: 788
- Joined: 04 Jan 2010, 20:28
- Gender: Male
Re: Bringing things back to the depot
New starters being picked on again. Learn the cut off procedure, and join the union
-
Mr Rush
- Posts: 3357
- Joined: 05 Aug 2011, 14:27
- Gender: Male
Re: Bringing things back to the depot
That's awfully close to what I always tell new starts: "never take more than you can handle". We had a guy out at midnight a few years ago. Until you say no, they'll keep shovelling it to you.Kenfandango wrote: ↑19 Oct 2021, 18:03on induction I was told "we never give you more than you can handle,
The machine stops.