ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Do you scan every item when out on delivery or just tracked?
-
Jen1
- Posts: 231
- Joined: 31 Oct 2018, 12:00
- Gender: Female
Do you scan every item when out on delivery or just tracked?
I’m asking because I delivered a packet to one of my colleagues and scanned it
He said you don’t need to scan it unless it’s tracked there’s no point the info doesn’t go anywhere
So I asked some more colleagues and they said the same and said it saves a lot of time if you’re not getting your PDA out every 3 seconds to scan something
Which is true it is much faster without scanning everything
But then I thought well why do they have the barcodes if they don’t do anything?
Nobody’s got in any trouble for not scanning anything other than tracked or specials
So do I or don’t I need to scan everything?
He said you don’t need to scan it unless it’s tracked there’s no point the info doesn’t go anywhere
So I asked some more colleagues and they said the same and said it saves a lot of time if you’re not getting your PDA out every 3 seconds to scan something
Which is true it is much faster without scanning everything
But then I thought well why do they have the barcodes if they don’t do anything?
Nobody’s got in any trouble for not scanning anything other than tracked or specials
So do I or don’t I need to scan everything?
-
fb1969
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1693
- Joined: 29 Aug 2012, 08:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: hiding on the backstreets
Re: Do you scan every item when out on delivery or just tracked?
Anything with a 2D (QR type) bar code should have been scanned for the last few years. The QR ones do provide proof of delivery.
Royal Mail
failing the workforce, failing the public and deliberately failing mail on a daily basis for too many years.
failing the workforce, failing the public and deliberately failing mail on a daily basis for too many years.
-
zombiepostman
- Posts: 41
- Joined: 17 Apr 2014, 18:13
- Gender: Male
Re: Do you scan every item when out on delivery or just tracked?
Every packet with a square barcode is scanned before it gets to you, it contains loads more information than 2d barcodes and if we don't scan them our weekly percentage is way down if it goes below 80% we git pulled up (no wonder there are so many customer complaints if your colleagues don't scan them)its proof of delivery.
-
Jen1
- Posts: 231
- Joined: 31 Oct 2018, 12:00
- Gender: Female
Re: Do you scan every item when out on delivery or just tracked?
Our managers don’t seem bothered about us scanning anything other than tracked or specials or signed for either
We often get given Mail to deliver on our way home (I take the van home so it’s not an issue) but they don’t like us to take the new PDAs home
So they say there’s no tracked or specials or signed for so you don’t need to take the PDA but there’s always other parcels or packets
Which is why I was thinking oh maybe I don’t need to waste time scanning everything
I’m kinda disappointed you’ve said I should scan everything I thought my job was going to be much quicker and easier without scanning everything
Guess I’d better keep scanning then
We often get given Mail to deliver on our way home (I take the van home so it’s not an issue) but they don’t like us to take the new PDAs home
So they say there’s no tracked or specials or signed for so you don’t need to take the PDA but there’s always other parcels or packets
Which is why I was thinking oh maybe I don’t need to waste time scanning everything
I’m kinda disappointed you’ve said I should scan everything I thought my job was going to be much quicker and easier without scanning everything
Guess I’d better keep scanning then
-
fb1969
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1693
- Joined: 29 Aug 2012, 08:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: hiding on the backstreets
Re: Do you scan every item when out on delivery or just tracked?
Not meaning to be sarcastic, but you should be looking to do the job correctly more than doing it quickly.
The future of RM could well involve most items, including letters, having a barcode!
If RM want to slow posties down by having everything scanned it is their problem and not ours.
The future of RM could well involve most items, including letters, having a barcode!
If RM want to slow posties down by having everything scanned it is their problem and not ours.
Royal Mail
failing the workforce, failing the public and deliberately failing mail on a daily basis for too many years.
failing the workforce, failing the public and deliberately failing mail on a daily basis for too many years.
-
claretandblue
- Posts: 914
- Joined: 01 Aug 2007, 12:14
Re: Do you scan every item when out on delivery or just tracked?
Scan them all like a good little boy, then your manager will get a juicy bonus for all your hard work.
-
TopperGas
- Posts: 3526
- Joined: 13 Feb 2021, 22:46
- Gender: Male
Re: Do you scan every item when out on delivery or just tracked?
Just because RM have decided to put a barcode on their letters/parcels doesn't necessarily mean it has to be scanned at present?fb1969 wrote: ↑17 Oct 2021, 13:06Not meaning to be sarcastic, but you should be looking to do the job correctly more than doing it quickly.
The future of RM could well involve most items, including letters, having a barcode!
If RM want to slow posties down by having everything scanned it is their problem and not ours.
Does anybody know what is the definitive answer, are we supposed to scan every bar code, or just the Tracked etc items, as nobody seems to know the correct answer.
-
fb1969
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1693
- Joined: 29 Aug 2012, 08:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: hiding on the backstreets
Re: Do you scan every item when out on delivery or just tracked?
I have given the correct answer! It has been that way since the PDAs have been capable of reading the QR type barcodes. And I am only talking about the ones on packets as I said the letter ones are in "the future".
viewtopic.php?t=80657
viewtopic.php?t=80657
Royal Mail
failing the workforce, failing the public and deliberately failing mail on a daily basis for too many years.
failing the workforce, failing the public and deliberately failing mail on a daily basis for too many years.
-
P13
- Posts: 1016
- Joined: 11 Oct 2007, 14:35
- Gender: Male
Re: Do you scan every item when out on delivery or just tracked?
You scan every barcodeTopperGas wrote: ↑17 Oct 2021, 15:06Just because RM have decided to put a barcode on their letters/parcels doesn't necessarily mean it has to be scanned at present?fb1969 wrote: ↑17 Oct 2021, 13:06Not meaning to be sarcastic, but you should be looking to do the job correctly more than doing it quickly.
The future of RM could well involve most items, including letters, having a barcode!
If RM want to slow posties down by having everything scanned it is their problem and not ours.
Does anybody know what is the definitive answer, are we supposed to scan every bar code, or just the Tracked etc items, as nobody seems to know the correct answer.
-
redneck
- Posts: 788
- Joined: 04 Jan 2010, 20:28
- Gender: Male
Re: Do you scan every item when out on delivery or just tracked?
Totally agree, and we should be scanning everything as that is what the codes are there for. It does register on the PDA, so it records a transaction, which can be questioned by the customer. Managers as usual have the extra few seconds it takes to scan properly in mind and the o/t billfb1969 wrote: ↑17 Oct 2021, 13:06Not meaning to be sarcastic, but you should be looking to do the job correctly more than doing it quickly.
The future of RM could well involve most items, including letters, having a barcode!
If RM want to slow posties down by having everything scanned it is their problem and not ours.
-
ssdd
- Posts: 2053
- Joined: 06 Sep 2018, 22:39
- Gender: Male
Re: Do you scan every item when out on delivery or just tracked?
Yes, scan every 2D barcode. Quite often now, the customer will get a delivery confirmation with them, especially eBay packets.
-
clashcityrocker
- Posts: 16710
- Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: strummerville
Re: Do you scan every item when out on delivery or just tracked?
This thread beggars belief.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
-
korky
- Posts: 797
- Joined: 30 Dec 2007, 09:28
Re: Do you scan every item when out on delivery or just tracked?
scan absolutely everything
if you get a dor and the gps is correct then there's no comeback on you
also records data should they try to justify traffic is down to potentially add to duty
i must admit to saying feck it on standard codes if the weather is bad and pda playing up though
if you get a dor and the gps is correct then there's no comeback on you
also records data should they try to justify traffic is down to potentially add to duty
i must admit to saying feck it on standard codes if the weather is bad and pda playing up though
-
BadPostman
- Posts: 46
- Joined: 26 Jun 2015, 22:42
- Gender: Male
Re: Do you scan every item when out on delivery or just tracked?
I scan everything I can. Catalogue? Scan it. Those little boxes on a redirection label? Scan it. Makes it look like Im doing more work
-
*horcrux*
- Posts: 78
- Joined: 22 May 2017, 13:31
- Gender: Male
Re: Do you scan every item when out on delivery or just tracked?
Yeah obviously scan everything.
Those 2d barcodes even if not fully tracked will still show that it has been delivered.
Quite often I see on eBay packets a note next to the code saying 'Postie please scan' or similar.
Your workmates slackness could be making life difficult for sellers if they don't have that proof of delivery scan.
Then they'll put in a claim against RM.
Those 2d barcodes even if not fully tracked will still show that it has been delivered.
Quite often I see on eBay packets a note next to the code saying 'Postie please scan' or similar.
Your workmates slackness could be making life difficult for sellers if they don't have that proof of delivery scan.
Then they'll put in a claim against RM.