ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Would you go for a 4 day cover or 5 day on a duty you like?
-
mags999
- Posts: 372
- Joined: 25 Jun 2016, 11:05
- Gender: Male
Would you go for a 4 day cover or 5 day on a duty you like?
how the hell are yous doin a revision under the current circumstances as if nothing is going on 
-
postiewhite
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 619
- Joined: 23 Jul 2013, 18:38
- Gender: Male
Would you go for a 4 day cover or 5 day on a duty you like?
Its not a revision. Its just a load of duties that have been overdue to be advertised. I shouldn't have said repick lolmags999 wrote:how the hell are yous doin a revision under the current circumstances as if nothing is going on
-
postiewhite
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 619
- Joined: 23 Jul 2013, 18:38
- Gender: Male
Re: Would you go for a 4 day cover or 5 day on a duty you like?
Just to resurface this thread. The 4 day cover duty was offered to me with a Wed/Thu off so ive accepted it. I immediately wondered if I had done the right thing giving up a 5 day duty which I like with one rolling day off.
For those that have not commented on this thread would you take a 4 day cover over a 5 day duty both over 30hrs? Basically does an extra day off on a 4 day cover outweigh a 5 day decent duty?
For those that have not commented on this thread would you take a 4 day cover over a 5 day duty both over 30hrs? Basically does an extra day off on a 4 day cover outweigh a 5 day decent duty?
-
Woody Guthrie
- Posts: 5166
- Joined: 29 Sep 2018, 20:47
- Gender: Male
Re: Would you go for a 4 day cover or 5 day on a duty you like?
It's a no brainer which will be even more of a no brainer the longer you're on it. Wednesday + Thursday are the two worst days of the week.
Christmas will be a blast for a start, you'll have a full week off.
Christmas will be a blast for a start, you'll have a full week off.
Only dead fish follow the current
-
postiewhite
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 619
- Joined: 23 Jul 2013, 18:38
- Gender: Male
Re: Would you go for a 4 day cover or 5 day on a duty you like?
I think they are starting it now after xmas. Loads of duties went up this month which is a bad time for people to learn new duties but I see what you mean with the first point. Yeah I wanted to make sure I was doing the right thing. I know its a good idea dropping a day but ot comes with sacrifices I guess and probably needed reassurances :-)Woody Guthrie wrote: ↑19 Nov 2020, 10:19It's a no brainer which will be even more of a no brainer the longer you're on it. Wednesday + Thursday are the two worst days of the week.
Christmas will be a blast for a start, you'll have a full week off.
-
heapsy
- Posts: 2974
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 23:40
- Gender: Male
- Location: Drinking with Gangsters
Re: Would you go for a 4 day cover or 5 day on a duty you like?
Tricky one. We had 3 on 3 off for some part time staff. They were removed over time due to extra costs. There's only one bloke on the 3 on 3 off now, as all the others left over time. Many years ago we had the option of more walks, when it was 6 day working, or some 5 day duties, as we have now. We opted for the 5 day duties. Two reasons for that, 1 the extra duties could have been removed. 2 as our union rep at the time pointed out, "six day working is no good for anyone", as he put it. This obviously, was expanded over time. One of the issues of course, is the length of attendance. Does that make it harder, and if so, is it worth it? How old are you, are longer days possible, or too much to ask? Or will the extra day help in that respect, assuming you don't work them? 1 in 4 Saturdays were blocked from coming in to our office due to this, however, managers didn't like the idea of messing with the duty rostas, which seemed the more likely issue. A few points to debate and ponder, hope I've helped.
Last edited by heapsy on 23 Sep 2021, 23:46, edited 2 times in total.
-
postiewhite
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 619
- Joined: 23 Jul 2013, 18:38
- Gender: Male
Re: Would you go for a 4 day cover or 5 day on a duty you like?
Im 48 now and have been with RM for 7 years. In my old office we had 4 day covers with a mon and tue off so it was basically a 3 day weekend. Most of the cover people worked an extra day if they wanted to giving them 38hrs from 30hrs. I have always worked 5 days since I started and often envied the 4 day people as they would never give up that cover.
I have since moved offices and the 5 day duty im on is nice but I have been shifted around to another duty occasionally too. This 4 day option recently came up and I went for it because this option may never come up again as eventually I think they will abolish the 4 day 30hr contract. The downside is 4 different duties a week and no saturday's. The latter im not that bothered about because I actually always preferred a wednesday off as it broke the week up nicely.
I think ive got my head around the fact that I probably wouldnt mind too much working an hour over a day doing it this way but I will always a little apprehensive giving up a stable duty.
I have since moved offices and the 5 day duty im on is nice but I have been shifted around to another duty occasionally too. This 4 day option recently came up and I went for it because this option may never come up again as eventually I think they will abolish the 4 day 30hr contract. The downside is 4 different duties a week and no saturday's. The latter im not that bothered about because I actually always preferred a wednesday off as it broke the week up nicely.
I think ive got my head around the fact that I probably wouldnt mind too much working an hour over a day doing it this way but I will always a little apprehensive giving up a stable duty.
-
HTPostman
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1507
- Joined: 01 Sep 2008, 23:53
- Gender: Male
Re: Would you go for a 4 day cover or 5 day on a duty you like?
I’ve just changed my contract, now on a 4 day week with Wednesday and Thursday off (plus Sundays off too). It’s made a huge difference, I can now plan appointments, I’m never working more than 2 days in a row, plenty time for rest and recovery. I like to have mini breaks away, much cheaper going away Tuesday night and Wednesday night.
Also I no longer need to mess about trying to catch a lino on a morning to take down my OT, wondering if it’s paid correctly etc, I’ve gone from PT 5 days a week to FT 4 days a week.
What’s more with average holiday pay, there’s no incentive for me to do an extra half hour a few times a week as I won’t get paid for it when on holiday (unless I do 8 hours minimum a month). So it’s just easier to work to my time. Easy decision all round.
However it doesn’t seem very popular in our office. I assume it’s down to financial reasons.
Also I no longer need to mess about trying to catch a lino on a morning to take down my OT, wondering if it’s paid correctly etc, I’ve gone from PT 5 days a week to FT 4 days a week.
What’s more with average holiday pay, there’s no incentive for me to do an extra half hour a few times a week as I won’t get paid for it when on holiday (unless I do 8 hours minimum a month). So it’s just easier to work to my time. Easy decision all round.
However it doesn’t seem very popular in our office. I assume it’s down to financial reasons.
The day is gonna come when we’re all gonna have to testify.
526
526
-
Foxel
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 514
- Joined: 04 Oct 2021, 21:20
- Gender: Male
Re: Would you go for a 4 day cover or 5 day on a duty you like?
Wed, Thu & Sat off... now that's the dream.HTPostman wrote: ↑23 Sep 2021, 23:22I’ve just changed my contract, now on a 4 day week with Wednesday and Thursday off (plus Sundays off too). It’s made a huge difference, I can now plan appointments, I’m never working more than 2 days in a row, plenty time for rest and recovery. I like to have mini breaks away, much cheaper going away Tuesday night and Wednesday night.
Also I no longer need to mess about trying to catch a lino on a morning to take down my OT, wondering if it’s paid correctly etc, I’ve gone from PT 5 days a week to FT 4 days a week.
What’s more with average holiday pay, there’s no incentive for me to do an extra half hour a few times a week as I won’t get paid for it when on holiday (unless I do 8 hours minimum a month). So it’s just easier to work to my time. Easy decision all round.
However it doesn’t seem very popular in our office. I assume it’s down to financial reasons.
I'm turning purple!
-
SpacePhoenix
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 12195
- Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
- Gender: Male
Re: Would you go for a 4 day cover or 5 day on a duty you like?
Sounds like it could possibly be a job shareFoxel wrote: ↑04 Oct 2021, 22:31Wed, Thu & Sat off... now that's the dream.HTPostman wrote: ↑23 Sep 2021, 23:22I’ve just changed my contract, now on a 4 day week with Wednesday and Thursday off (plus Sundays off too). It’s made a huge difference, I can now plan appointments, I’m never working more than 2 days in a row, plenty time for rest and recovery. I like to have mini breaks away, much cheaper going away Tuesday night and Wednesday night.
Also I no longer need to mess about trying to catch a lino on a morning to take down my OT, wondering if it’s paid correctly etc, I’ve gone from PT 5 days a week to FT 4 days a week.
What’s more with average holiday pay, there’s no incentive for me to do an extra half hour a few times a week as I won’t get paid for it when on holiday (unless I do 8 hours minimum a month). So it’s just easier to work to my time. Easy decision all round.
However it doesn’t seem very popular in our office. I assume it’s down to financial reasons.
-
HTPostman
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1507
- Joined: 01 Sep 2008, 23:53
- Gender: Male
Re: Would you go for a 4 day cover or 5 day on a duty you like?
Nope. Don’t know where Saturday off comes from.....I get Wednesday, Thursday and Sunday off. Definitely not a job share.SpacePhoenix wrote: ↑05 Oct 2021, 07:23Sounds like it could possibly be a job shareFoxel wrote: ↑04 Oct 2021, 22:31Wed, Thu & Sat off... now that's the dream.HTPostman wrote: ↑23 Sep 2021, 23:22I’ve just changed my contract, now on a 4 day week with Wednesday and Thursday off (plus Sundays off too). It’s made a huge difference, I can now plan appointments, I’m never working more than 2 days in a row, plenty time for rest and recovery. I like to have mini breaks away, much cheaper going away Tuesday night and Wednesday night.
Also I no longer need to mess about trying to catch a lino on a morning to take down my OT, wondering if it’s paid correctly etc, I’ve gone from PT 5 days a week to FT 4 days a week.
What’s more with average holiday pay, there’s no incentive for me to do an extra half hour a few times a week as I won’t get paid for it when on holiday (unless I do 8 hours minimum a month). So it’s just easier to work to my time. Easy decision all round.
However it doesn’t seem very popular in our office. I assume it’s down to financial reasons.
The day is gonna come when we’re all gonna have to testify.
526
526
-
postslippete
- Posts: 4198
- Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
- Gender: Male
Re: Would you go for a 4 day cover or 5 day on a duty you like?
Four day week all the way!!
Its got to be the way forward. The indoor work won't need staff on overtime doing IPS and you would get an extra day off to recover from those aching limbs
And for those who want the extra docket they can still work an extra day and still get 2 days off
There would also be more fixed duties for posties
Win-Win
Its got to be the way forward. The indoor work won't need staff on overtime doing IPS and you would get an extra day off to recover from those aching limbs
And for those who want the extra docket they can still work an extra day and still get 2 days off
There would also be more fixed duties for posties
Win-Win
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
-
postiewhite
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 619
- Joined: 23 Jul 2013, 18:38
- Gender: Male
Re: Would you go for a 4 day cover or 5 day on a duty you like?
Ive been doing 4 days since January, I get Wed and Thursday off which is the two busiest days of the week. I do feel like a reserve though when im in as I could be shoved anywhere and I do work every saturday but my motto is "tomorrow is always your last day at work until time off". Iam in early now, 6.45am on a 30hr contract but these two days off comes around quick.
We are having a full revision this month and they are keeping the structure the same so ill stay on this if I can. When we had a small repick in January the 4 day duties were the last to be snapped up which is odd.
I do miss the consistency of having the same duty though and miss a saturday off but you have to weigh up I get 52 extra days off a year and only missing out on 8-9 Saturday (on a 1 in 6)
We are having a full revision this month and they are keeping the structure the same so ill stay on this if I can. When we had a small repick in January the 4 day duties were the last to be snapped up which is odd.
I do miss the consistency of having the same duty though and miss a saturday off but you have to weigh up I get 52 extra days off a year and only missing out on 8-9 Saturday (on a 1 in 6)
-
60091
- Posts: 95
- Joined: 15 Jul 2009, 17:15
- Gender: Male
Re: Would you go for a 4 day cover or 5 day on a duty you like?
4 day great as i do 4 day rural hybrid !!,delivery and collections since 2013 with 1/3 sat off Fri,sat,sun,Mon,Tues!! With wed/thur on sec week!!
-
xPandabear1992x
- Posts: 286
- Joined: 29 Jul 2019, 00:49
- Gender: Male
Re: Would you go for a 4 day cover or 5 day on a duty you like?
I'd take the 4 day cover any day.
I like being in new places every now and then.
I like being in new places every now and then.