ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Sucking up to Apprentices while ignoring other new starters...

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
ssdd
Posts: 2053
Joined: 06 Sep 2018, 22:39
Gender: Male

Re: Sucking up to Apprentices while ignoring other new starters...

Post by ssdd »

30+YEARMAN wrote: ↑
03 Oct 2021, 14:42
Why does this job need apprentices, we keep getting told this is an unskilled job, are they going to get a City and Guilds in posting letters. :crazy:
Believe it or not, there are actually 'qualifications' in this field: https://www.skillsfirst.co.uk/index.php ... pe=Article
I'm not saying this is the exact course, but it will be something similar.
AnonymousPostie
Posts: 7
Joined: 09 Jul 2021, 20:16
Gender: Male

Re: Sucking up to Apprentices while ignoring other new starters...

Post by AnonymousPostie »

Iva bigredbag wrote: ↑
03 Oct 2021, 12:46
Great so some poor sod who has worked as a reserve/float/ pt for 5-10 years will be pushed back behind an apprentice who walked straight into a full time job. Nice one RM, they really know how to keep the office moral at its maximum.
I hope not, I'm starting the apprenticeship soon and I dont want to be a manager.
TopperGas
Posts: 3526
Joined: 13 Feb 2021, 22:46
Gender: Male

Re: Sucking up to Apprentices while ignoring other new starters...

Post by TopperGas »

DogEyedBoy wrote: ↑
03 Oct 2021, 14:29
I understood it as 25 hours total. So 4 days of delivery at 5 hours and a day of online learning at 5 hours.
So who'll do your round on the fifth day, or will it just get left in the frame for you to do a double round the following day? Although what are you expecting to learn which will take 5 hours a week online, I doubt I've had 5 hours online training since I started, with most of that being on Day 1!!
TopperGas
Posts: 3526
Joined: 13 Feb 2021, 22:46
Gender: Male

Re: Sucking up to Apprentices while ignoring other new starters...

Post by TopperGas »

AnonymousPostie wrote: ↑
03 Oct 2021, 18:36
Iva bigredbag wrote: ↑
03 Oct 2021, 12:46
Great so some poor sod who has worked as a reserve/float/ pt for 5-10 years will be pushed back behind an apprentice who walked straight into a full time job. Nice one RM, they really know how to keep the office moral at its maximum.
I hope not, I'm starting the apprenticeship soon and I dont want to be a manager.
I assume the OP meant full time posties job i.e. you'll be first inline to get your hours increased to 35 hours per week.

I can never understand how all the job adverts for normal posties refer to "great promotion potential" as if you work in a medium or small DO and have no interest in being a manager there seems zero promotion prospects, with virtually every job paying the same standard rate plus overtime, unless I'm missing out on some hidden roles in the DO.
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32805
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Re: Sucking up to Apprentices while ignoring other new starters...

Post by POSTMAN »

National Apprenticeship Awards 2021

Supporting future generations

We’re excited to announce that Royal Mail is an official sponsor of this year’s National Apprenticeship Awards.

This annual event provides businesses and individuals with a platform to showcase how apprenticeships have made a real impact on their organisation and their careers.

The awards showcase the diverse range of sectors engaged with apprenticeships, and the success stories of those who have embraced apprenticeships with zest.

This year’s national final on 1 December will be a hybrid event with 300 guests attending the ceremony held in central London, and thousands joining the celebrations remotely.

Tracy Fairhurst, head of apprenticeships, said: ‘It’s fantastic to be part of this annual event which recognises and celebrates the amazing work being done by both employers and apprentices across the country.

‘We currently have 823 apprentices doing a great job of completing more than 50 different apprenticeship programmes across the business in areas such as Engineering, Project Management, HR, Operations and many more.

‘We’re extremely proud of the work our apprentices do and the support and ideas they continue to bring to the business.

‘In previous years, we’ve had some of our exceptional apprentices recognised through the awards, including Matthew Shillings who won the Rolls Royce Award for Advanced Apprentice of the Year and we’ve been Highly Commended both regionally and nationally.’

Applications for National Apprenticeship Awards 2022

Applications for the 2022 awards are expected to open around April next year.

Ahead of the awards opening, the apprenticeship team will be developing some short webinars for potential applicants, with guidance and top tips for completing an application in the Apprentice and Rising Star categories.

Over the next few months, please take some time to identify the apprentices in your area who have done exceptional work, or if you’re an apprentice and would like to apply, contact the apprenticeship team at Apprenticeships@royalmail.com.
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.