ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Sucking up to Apprentices while ignoring other new starters...

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Jahpostie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 318
Joined: 23 Aug 2018, 16:17
Gender: Male

Re: Sucking up to Apprentices while ignoring other new starters...

Post by Jahpostie »

RM are useless at recruitment.
ssdd
Posts: 2053
Joined: 06 Sep 2018, 22:39
Gender: Male

Re: Sucking up to Apprentices while ignoring other new starters...

Post by ssdd »

AnonymousPostie wrote: ↑
30 Sep 2021, 14:40
DogEyedBoy wrote: ↑
30 Sep 2021, 12:10
AnonymousPostie wrote: ↑
29 Sep 2021, 20:13
I am in the process of getting one of these apprenticeships a few says for them to sort out the paperwork then however long it takes to get started. To be honest I still don't really know what the difference between this scheme and just being a postie is gonna be. I hope their won't be any resentment from other postman if they are getting extra time though. I'm still looking forward to it.
Could you tell me when your interview was and when they contacted you to offer you the job? Thanks.
It was a long wait, It was mid august when I had my interview. They told me they would get back to me in a few days. 2 weeks of radio silence and I sent an email they said there where delays. Another 3 weeks and they called me asking if I was still interested, they said good and they will call in a few days to get everything sorted. I'm still not sure if I've definitely got it but they sounded like I did the way they spoke to me on the phone. Overall from when I first applied to my interview was well over a month, and well over a month again to hear anything concrete post interview. Its funny because at the interview the guy said they where hoping to start mid September now its going to be October before I start if I've even got it.
I think they were only introducing half of the intended 1000 recruits in September, with the rest to be phased in next year. But as with a lot of other things, at the moment, there are delays...
ssdd
Posts: 2053
Joined: 06 Sep 2018, 22:39
Gender: Male

Re: Sucking up to Apprentices while ignoring other new starters...

Post by ssdd »

Anyway, here's one of the new apprentices:
oie_WrtyMCTBZHyR (1).gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AnonymousPostie
Posts: 7
Joined: 09 Jul 2021, 20:16
Gender: Male

Re: Sucking up to Apprentices while ignoring other new starters...

Post by AnonymousPostie »

ssdd wrote: ↑
30 Sep 2021, 16:24
AnonymousPostie wrote: ↑
30 Sep 2021, 14:40
DogEyedBoy wrote: ↑
30 Sep 2021, 12:10
AnonymousPostie wrote: ↑
29 Sep 2021, 20:13
I am in the process of getting one of these apprenticeships a few says for them to sort out the paperwork then however long it takes to get started. To be honest I still don't really know what the difference between this scheme and just being a postie is gonna be. I hope their won't be any resentment from other postman if they are getting extra time though. I'm still looking forward to it.
Could you tell me when your interview was and when they contacted you to offer you the job? Thanks.
It was a long wait, It was mid august when I had my interview. They told me they would get back to me in a few days. 2 weeks of radio silence and I sent an email they said there where delays. Another 3 weeks and they called me asking if I was still interested, they said good and they will call in a few days to get everything sorted. I'm still not sure if I've definitely got it but they sounded like I did the way they spoke to me on the phone. Overall from when I first applied to my interview was well over a month, and well over a month again to hear anything concrete post interview. Its funny because at the interview the guy said they where hoping to start mid September now its going to be October before I start if I've even got it.
I think they were only introducing half of the intended 1000 recruits in September, with the rest to be phased in next year. But as with a lot of other things, at the moment, there are delays...
Just got a call I start on the 18th.
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32805
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Re: Sucking up to Apprentices while ignoring other new starters...

Post by POSTMAN »

Good luck anon, you'll be fine.
Keep us....posted.
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
Iva bigredbag
Posts: 167
Joined: 19 Dec 2012, 19:33
Gender: Male

Re: Sucking up to Apprentices while ignoring other new starters...

Post by Iva bigredbag »

twoloops wrote: ↑
28 Sep 2021, 16:16
And these apprentices all on full time hours
So does that mean as soon as their 'apprenticeship' finishes and a repick happens they go straight down to P/T since their seniority will be bottom in the office?
ted_e_bear
Posts: 4116
Joined: 03 Sep 2012, 19:37
Gender: Male

Re: Sucking up to Apprentices while ignoring other new starters...

Post by ted_e_bear »

Iva bigredbag wrote: ↑
02 Oct 2021, 20:20
twoloops wrote: ↑
28 Sep 2021, 16:16
And these apprentices all on full time hours
So does that mean as soon as their 'apprenticeship' finishes and a repick happens they go straight down to P/T since their seniority will be bottom in the office?
Good point, presumably there's something in their contract regarding the length of the apprenticeship and what happens when it's finished, can't imagine the hours will be reduced though as there'd be no incentive to apply in the 1st place, yes seniority will be low but still being on 35hrs means you'll be the least senior full timer.

Having said that my suspicion is RM intend to promote them to management training at the end of their apprenticeship.
Iva bigredbag
Posts: 167
Joined: 19 Dec 2012, 19:33
Gender: Male

Re: Sucking up to Apprentices while ignoring other new starters...

Post by Iva bigredbag »

Great so some poor sod who has worked as a reserve/float/ pt for 5-10 years will be pushed back behind an apprentice who walked straight into a full time job. Nice one RM, they really know how to keep the office moral at its maximum.
ssdd
Posts: 2053
Joined: 06 Sep 2018, 22:39
Gender: Male

Re: Sucking up to Apprentices while ignoring other new starters...

Post by ssdd »

ted_e_bear wrote: ↑
03 Oct 2021, 08:20
Iva bigredbag wrote: ↑
02 Oct 2021, 20:20
twoloops wrote: ↑
28 Sep 2021, 16:16
And these apprentices all on full time hours
So does that mean as soon as their 'apprenticeship' finishes and a repick happens they go straight down to P/T since their seniority will be bottom in the office?
Good point, presumably there's something in their contract regarding the length of the apprenticeship and what happens when it's finished, can't imagine the hours will be reduced though as there'd be no incentive to apply in the 1st place, yes seniority will be low but still being on 35hrs means you'll be the least senior full timer.

Having said that my suspicion is RM intend to promote them to management training at the end of their apprenticeship.
From what I've read, it looks like a 12 month apprenticeship based on 25h30m delivery and the rest of the hours online learning. At the end of it "they will be offered a permanent contract mirroring the operational content in hours that have been performing". From LTB 248/21: viewtopic.php?f=69&t=100889
I read this as being a part-time contract at the end of the apprenticeship.
DogEyedBoy
Posts: 9
Joined: 01 Oct 2015, 02:46
Gender: Male

Re: Sucking up to Apprentices while ignoring other new starters...

Post by DogEyedBoy »

I was told it was a 13 month apprenticeship, 25 hours, 4 days delivery with 1 day online learning.
ssdd
Posts: 2053
Joined: 06 Sep 2018, 22:39
Gender: Male

Re: Sucking up to Apprentices while ignoring other new starters...

Post by ssdd »

DogEyedBoy wrote: ↑
03 Oct 2021, 13:42
I was told it was a 13 month apprenticeship, 25 hours, 4 days delivery with 1 day online learning.
You may well know better than I do, if you're going through the application process. I'm just going on what info there is available about it. :thumbup
How many hours of online learning on that day are you expected to do? If they're giving you full time hours that would be a 10 hour day of online learning. Seems a little much...
DogEyedBoy
Posts: 9
Joined: 01 Oct 2015, 02:46
Gender: Male

Re: Sucking up to Apprentices while ignoring other new starters...

Post by DogEyedBoy »

I understood it as 25 hours total. So 4 days of delivery at 5 hours and a day of online learning at 5 hours.
30+YEARMAN
Posts: 253
Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 17:46
Gender: Male

Re: Sucking up to Apprentices while ignoring other new starters...

Post by 30+YEARMAN »

:hmmmm
Last edited by 30+YEARMAN on 03 Oct 2021, 16:14, edited 1 time in total.
ssdd
Posts: 2053
Joined: 06 Sep 2018, 22:39
Gender: Male

Re: Sucking up to Apprentices while ignoring other new starters...

Post by ssdd »

DogEyedBoy wrote: ↑
03 Oct 2021, 14:29
I understood it as 25 hours total. So 4 days of delivery at 5 hours and a day of online learning at 5 hours.
Well something doesn't add up, because the document says the delivery hours (including the indoor element) will be 25h30m. I don't know, maybe it's all subject to change...
30+YEARMAN
Posts: 253
Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 17:46
Gender: Male

Re: Sucking up to Apprentices while ignoring other new starters...

Post by 30+YEARMAN »

Why does this job need apprentices, we keep getting told this is an unskilled job, are they going to get a City and Guilds in posting letters. :crazy: