ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Auto rotate or auto IRRITATE : Update-Fixed

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
fb1969
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1693
Joined: 29 Aug 2012, 08:38
Gender: Male
Location: hiding on the backstreets

Re: Auto rotate or auto IRRITATE : Update-Fixed

Post by fb1969 »

nightcrawler wrote: ↑
29 Sep 2021, 20:45
Is it me or are the new PDAs harder to “wake” from standby? After pressing the top right button, it sometimes takes me several swipes to wake it. I often have to put it BACK into standby, then trying again. I’m sure the older PDAs were easier to wake :arrrghhh

I've had that happen a couple of times, I've rebooted it and it's been ok for the rest of the day.
Royal Mail
failing the workforce, failing the public and deliberately failing mail on a daily basis for too many years.
theargyspy
Posts: 252
Joined: 23 Apr 2007, 17:02
Gender: Male
Location: UK

Re: Auto rotate or auto IRRITATE : Update-Fixed

Post by theargyspy »

nightcrawler wrote: ↑
29 Sep 2021, 20:45
Is it me or are the new PDAs harder to “wake” from standby? After pressing the top right button, it sometimes takes me several swipes to wake it. I often have to put it BACK into standby, then trying again. I’m sure the older PDAs were easier to wake :arrrghhh
yes ive noticed that too
"Never have I known an employee so keen to employ you, then so eager to get rid of you!"
HTPostman
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1507
Joined: 01 Sep 2008, 23:53
Gender: Male

Re: Auto rotate or auto IRRITATE : Update-Fixed

Post by HTPostman »

nightcrawler wrote: ↑
29 Sep 2021, 20:45
Is it me or are the new PDAs harder to “wake” from standby? After pressing the top right button, it sometimes takes me several swipes to wake it. I often have to put it BACK into standby, then trying again. I’m sure the older PDAs were easier to wake :arrrghhh
Again, it’s really something that should’ve been identified in the testing phase. It’s ridiculous to scan an item we have to press the bottom at the top, swipe up, still doesn’t work, swipe up again, right still not playing ball so press the button at the top, how’s your day sir, awful weather isn’t it, one moment while I sort my pda then I can finally give you your parcel, swipe up, finally works now press the button on the side NO NOT THAT ONE the other one!

2 clicks of a button conveniently located is all that should be necessary to unlock it, then one button conveniently located to scan the item.
The day is gonna come when we’re all gonna have to testify.

526
ssdd
Posts: 2053
Joined: 06 Sep 2018, 22:39
Gender: Male

Re: Auto rotate or auto IRRITATE : Update-Fixed

Post by ssdd »

Mine still logs out at least once a day too, usually at someone's door, right before scanning the parcel...
PostmanBitesDog
Posts: 1428
Joined: 17 Feb 2019, 15:46
Gender: Male

Re: Auto rotate or auto IRRITATE : Update-Fixed

Post by PostmanBitesDog »

With the old PDAs I would have to enter a unique passcode to unlock it whenever it went into locked screen mode. With these news ones no passcode is used to unlock it. Just swipe the screen.
ssdd
Posts: 2053
Joined: 06 Sep 2018, 22:39
Gender: Male

Re: Auto rotate or auto IRRITATE : Update-Fixed

Post by ssdd »

PostmanBitesDog wrote: ↑
30 Sep 2021, 17:41
With the old PDAs I would have to enter a unique passcode to unlock it whenever it went into locked screen mode. With these news ones no passcode is used to unlock it. Just swipe the screen.
That's the problem. The swipe screen ain't so easily swipeable.
TopperGas
Posts: 3526
Joined: 13 Feb 2021, 22:46
Gender: Male

Re: Auto rotate or auto IRRITATE : Update-Fixed

Post by TopperGas »

PostmanBitesDog wrote: ↑
30 Sep 2021, 17:41
With the old PDAs I would have to enter a unique passcode to unlock it whenever it went into locked screen mode. With these news ones no passcode is used to unlock it. Just swipe the screen.
After a lengthy period of inactivity the new PDA's still go to the passcode screen, but I've only noticed it do once or twice.

I can't understand why, when you "wake" the PDA up, it doesn't just go to the last screen you are using, if it did there would be none of this swipe up nonsense.

You do have to wonder about the testing before they were rolled out, as so far there's the swipe up issues, the auto rotate problem and also the auto brightness not being quick enough to respond.
PostmanBitesDog
Posts: 1428
Joined: 17 Feb 2019, 15:46
Gender: Male

Re: Auto rotate or auto IRRITATE : Update-Fixed

Post by PostmanBitesDog »

TopperGas wrote: ↑
30 Sep 2021, 21:53
and also the auto brightness not being quick enough to respond.
Yeah, that's another annoying snafu with these PDAs (Pretty Damn Awful). The screen brightness slider control won't stay in the position you've previously set it to when the device is awakened. :evil/mad
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12195
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Re: Auto rotate or auto IRRITATE : Update-Fixed

Post by SpacePhoenix »

ssdd wrote: ↑
30 Sep 2021, 17:58
PostmanBitesDog wrote: ↑
30 Sep 2021, 17:41
With the old PDAs I would have to enter a unique passcode to unlock it whenever it went into locked screen mode. With these news ones no passcode is used to unlock it. Just swipe the screen.
That's the problem. The swipe screen ain't so easily swipeable.
Probably done like that to stop it from being accidentally unlocked
TopperGas wrote: ↑
30 Sep 2021, 21:53
After a lengthy period of inactivity the new PDA's still go to the passcode screen, but I've only noticed it do once or twice.
Probably about 90% of the time with the old PDAs in that situation you got logged off automatically
weedkiller
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 17
Joined: 10 Feb 2021, 00:03
Gender: Male

Re: Auto rotate or auto IRRITATE : Update-Fixed

Post by weedkiller »

So they have calculated how much fuel is wasted by idling the vans. Now they should calculate how much time is wasted by posties fiddling with the PDAs. Lets say 3 seconds per tracked delivery? must be a BIGGG number of hours per week
PostmanBitesDog
Posts: 1428
Joined: 17 Feb 2019, 15:46
Gender: Male

Re: Auto rotate or auto IRRITATE : Update-Fixed

Post by PostmanBitesDog »

I'm getting really peed off with the brightness control on these new PDAs. :evil/mad It seems to have a mind of its own.
theargyspy
Posts: 252
Joined: 23 Apr 2007, 17:02
Gender: Male
Location: UK

Re: Auto rotate or auto IRRITATE : Update-Fixed

Post by theargyspy »

Yesterday my new version PDA decided to have a hissy fit and stop working, after lot's of poking and prodding it eventually gave me the message along the lines of "the app has stopped working, wait or close," more prodding, it would'nt let me choose either option. So had to pull the battery, the good news is that after that I was back in a lot quicker than the old ones. still a PITA
"Never have I known an employee so keen to employ you, then so eager to get rid of you!"
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12195
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Re: Auto rotate or auto IRRITATE : Update-Fixed

Post by SpacePhoenix »

theargyspy wrote: ↑
03 Oct 2021, 06:49
Yesterday my new version PDA decided to have a hissy fit and stop working, after lot's of poking and prodding it eventually gave me the message along the lines of "the app has stopped working, wait or close," more prodding, it would'nt let me choose either option. So had to pull the battery, the good news is that after that I was back in a lot quicker than the old ones. still a PITA
I've not used a new PDA yet but I know we've got new ones at our MC. The old ones you'd occasionally get the RM software crash and towards the end of their lives the old PDAs would randomly completely crash and reboot
Selhurst
Posts: 120
Joined: 04 Oct 2020, 12:16
Gender: Male

Re: Auto rotate or auto IRRITATE : Update-Fixed

Post by Selhurst »

Can an update be made available so these poxy things work in the wet. Got soaked yesterday. Went well over my time, partly due to pda that is crap in the wet.
WASD
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 375
Joined: 03 Jul 2019, 12:15
Gender: Male

Re: Auto rotate or auto IRRITATE : Update-Fixed

Post by WASD »

PostmanBitesDog wrote: ↑
02 Oct 2021, 20:15
I'm getting really peed off with the brightness control on these new PDAs. :evil/mad It seems to have a mind of its own.
It appears to be a delayed auto adjustment to surrounding light sources. I think there's been a focus on battery saving.

My first experience with one, and i want the old ones back. I failed about 10 tracked, and all my 2Ds.
This thing hasn't been tested at all. Or feedback wasn't given, or criticism filtered out to please Simon. Such a wasted opportunity and while this PDA fixes some issues it's at the cost of creating others.

The PDAs should have been perfect from day 1. A few "teething problems" as they will call it, are simply not acceptable for a company that supposedly wants to "thrive/achieve/grow".

I'm honestly going to be scanning less now than with the old PDA now. I'm am not in the mood to fart about dealing with problems that weren't a problem before.

Crashes, freezes, and ergonomically worse(!).

This PDA is not ergonomically sound. It should be useable with one hand, and either hand.
Sequences to perform actions should be as short as possible without increasing probability of incorrect input.

The level of incompetence high up is just astounding. No communication or research done. The company who produces these PDAs have just pulled them straight out of a Chinese catalog and the software devs have no communication with anyone on the front lines directly. RM should be using bespoke software, and if this is, well i have no hope for the bug fixes.



If this is anything to go by, i have zero expectations for this new "geo engineered" or whatever spin they used, clothing.