ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Absence due to petrol shortage

Got a question for a CWU Rep? And all CWU related matters.
2yearpostie
Posts: 1839
Joined: 03 Mar 2020, 15:36
Gender: Male

Re: Absence due to petrol shortage

Post by 2yearpostie »

TAXI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
NWpostie
Posts: 3620
Joined: 04 Aug 2007, 17:32
Gender: Male
Location: Sector 001 Borg Collective, 6 o f 9

Re: Absence due to petrol shortage

Post by NWpostie »

2yearpostie wrote: ↑
26 Sep 2021, 11:33
TAXI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Probably ran out of fuel too :chuckle



For me I have an electric bike if needed as a back up as where I work there is no public transport whatsoever for the times I start.

I would be looking at that too if I were you however I would imagine others are looking at transport alternatives too.
Six of Nine loves Seven of Nine, together in Electric Dreams.
scoobydo79
Posts: 2055
Joined: 15 May 2011, 19:04
Gender: Male

Re: Absence due to petrol shortage

Post by scoobydo79 »

geordieboy123 wrote: ↑
25 Sep 2021, 17:24
There was one in 2000
Yes there was.If You wore Your uniform in My area You could get petrol for Your own car. I was surprised as I thought the petrol pump guy would say bugger off and My colleagues were winding Me up.
Pidleypoo
Posts: 705
Joined: 17 Dec 2014, 10:05
Gender: Male

Re: Absence due to petrol shortage

Post by Pidleypoo »

chickenwittle wrote: ↑
26 Sep 2021, 11:12
Pidleypoo wrote: ↑
26 Sep 2021, 11:08
The question asked was what happens if you cannot get to work because your car has no fuel.

This is a serious question, I’ve got no way of getting to work and it would take about 5 hours to walk to my office and 2 hours to the nearest one , trains not viable either.

Does anyone at all know what royal mails stance is on this ?
I would assume it’s the same as with heavy snow , you would report to your nearest office, don’t understand how public transport wouldn’t be viable.
What’s not to understand? Nearest train station is about an hours walk , the train is another hour at least and they don’t run at the time of the morning I’d need and it’s exactly the same for buses.

Again , what do you not understand?
pieoftheday
Posts: 1842
Joined: 11 Mar 2010, 16:43
Gender: Male

Re: Absence due to petrol shortage

Post by pieoftheday »

Im guessing RM's view would be that it's your responsibility to make every effort to get to your place of work,I cant see that someone not having petrol is going to be a good excuse for not getting to work
Zicomurphy
Posts: 578
Joined: 24 Oct 2014, 06:40
Gender: Male

Re: Absence due to petrol shortage

Post by Zicomurphy »

Pidleypoo wrote: ↑
26 Sep 2021, 16:29
chickenwittle wrote: ↑
26 Sep 2021, 11:12
Pidleypoo wrote: ↑
26 Sep 2021, 11:08
The question asked was what happens if you cannot get to work because your car has no fuel.

This is a serious question, I’ve got no way of getting to work and it would take about 5 hours to walk to my office and 2 hours to the nearest one , trains not viable either.

Does anyone at all know what royal mails stance is on this ?
I would assume it’s the same as with heavy snow , you would report to your nearest office, don’t understand how public transport wouldn’t be viable.
What’s not to understand? Nearest train station is about an hours walk , the train is another hour at least and they don’t run at the time of the morning I’d need and it’s exactly the same for buses.

Again , what do you not understand?
I think the heavy snow comparison is probably fair. Both heavy snow and not being able to buy petrol are issues outside your control which might stop you being able to attend your normal place of work. As stated you would normally be expected to report to your nearest delivery office if that’s not your normal place of work and you are able to reach it. If you are unable to do that you would normally either have to take unpaid leave or you would be expected to make up any lost days by, for example, working rest days when requested.
paulus103
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 216
Joined: 19 Jan 2018, 01:55
Gender: Male

Re: Absence due to petrol shortage

Post by paulus103 »

Pidleypoo wrote: ↑
26 Sep 2021, 11:08
The question asked was what happens if you cannot get to work because your car has no fuel.

This is a serious question, I’ve got no way of getting to work and it would take about 5 hours to walk to my office and 2 hours to the nearest one , trains not viable either.

Does anyone at all know what royal mails stance is on this ?
As said above the policy is to go to the nearest office and do the work you do in that office.
I asked for myself as currently the 3 petrol stations I can get to have no petrol.

Work from home they said (I work in admin)
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32794
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Re: Absence due to petrol shortage

Post by POSTMAN »

paulus103 wrote: ↑
26 Sep 2021, 20:32
Pidleypoo wrote: ↑
26 Sep 2021, 11:08
The question asked was what happens if you cannot get to work because your car has no fuel.

This is a serious question, I’ve got no way of getting to work and it would take about 5 hours to walk to my office and 2 hours to the nearest one , trains not viable either.

Does anyone at all know what royal mails stance is on this ?
As said above the policy is to go to the nearest office and do the work you do in that office.
I asked for myself as currently the 3 petrol stations I can get to have no petrol.

Work from home they said (I work in admin)
That is the snow policy, there has not been an announcement yet on this ( The petrol malarkey) I am awaiting an answer back from Royal Mail as I am sure many are.

I would say they are burying their head in the sand on this, they really do not trust some of the workforce to not take the piss.
Which in certain circumstances they cant.

I know peeps who can walk to DO's or get public transport so they can't pull the woll down.

But I also know some who can only get in by car, and I'm sure everybody else knows peeps like this.

What a farce!
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
Woody Guthrie
Posts: 5166
Joined: 29 Sep 2018, 20:47
Gender: Male

Re: Absence due to petrol shortage

Post by Woody Guthrie »

It would need to get a lot worse to prompt a policy position.
There isn't a fuel shortage at the moment just trouble keeping up with demand because arseholes are filling 5 gallon cans for no f***ing reason like it's the end of the world.

You might need to go slightly further to find fuel but there's plenty of stations with plenty of fuel.
they really do not trust some of the workforce to not take the piss.
Can you blame them when on day 1 of a self inflicted fuel "crisis" people are looking for excuses not to go to their work..

If there's no public transport at that time ask for a shift change to when there is?

No?
Too difficult?
Only dead fish follow the current
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32794
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Re: Absence due to petrol shortage

Post by POSTMAN »

You might need to go slightly further to find fuel but there's plenty of stations with plenty of fuel.
Not down here Woody, trust me.
And I am really not sad enough to join 2-3 hr queue mile and miles away to only to get to the end and it's run out, has happened to my son in law and others.

There will be plenty who would unfortunately be stuck through this through no fault of their own.

And shift change to what?

Also I know your answer to me and others will be, do you want the job or not.
I would personally rather lose pay than go through the s**t that is happening...personally.

And I think I pointed out the easy way to see the shirkers, I'm sure RM would be able to as well.

And day 1, where have you been?

Sorry about the 'Ands'. Multi editing.
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
Woody Guthrie
Posts: 5166
Joined: 29 Sep 2018, 20:47
Gender: Male

Re: Absence due to petrol shortage

Post by Woody Guthrie »

Also I know your answer to me and others will be, do you want the job or not.
You know that's not my style. :cuppa
Only dead fish follow the current
PostmanBitesDog
Posts: 1428
Joined: 17 Feb 2019, 15:46
Gender: Male

Re: Absence due to petrol shortage

Post by PostmanBitesDog »

It could end up being a catch-22. A lot of the folks here don't want this job anymore, but to get to a new job interview a lot of them will need to drive.
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32794
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Re: Absence due to petrol shortage

Post by POSTMAN »

Woody Guthrie wrote: ↑
28 Sep 2021, 18:53
Also I know your answer to me and others will be, do you want the job or not.
You know that's not my style. :cuppa
Yeah I know, sorry mate.
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32794
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Re: Absence due to petrol shortage

Post by POSTMAN »

:funneh
Police mock motorists after '100 strong' queue forms outside closed petrol station...
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-new ... 0-25096749
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32794
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Re: Absence due to petrol shortage

Post by POSTMAN »

Hi Liam

Thank you for your email about the current situation. Please do encourage colleagues to speak to their manager if they have an issue impacted by fuel, and managers will discuss any solutions. It is up to colleagues to get to work, but there will be variable circumstances.

Kind Regards

Gary Redmond
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.