ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Seatbelts : Stupid is as stupid does...

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
woody38
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 273
Joined: 19 Apr 2016, 08:38
Gender: Male

Re: Seatbelts : Stupid is as stupid does...

Post by woody38 »

We have vans in our depot where the seatbelts does not click in, u report it but nothing ever gets done.
ssdd
Posts: 2053
Joined: 06 Sep 2018, 22:39
Gender: Male

Re: Seatbelts : Stupid is as stupid does...

Post by ssdd »

woody38 wrote: ↑
26 Sep 2021, 23:30
We have vans in our depot where the seatbelts does not click in, u report it but nothing ever gets done.
To be fair, this happened to me once, and it was sorted pretty quickly. Though I made it clear I had no intention of driving the vehicle in that state.
ihatedogs
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 547
Joined: 03 Nov 2010, 18:53
Gender: Male

Re: Seatbelts : Stupid is as stupid does...

Post by ihatedogs »

woody38 wrote: ↑
26 Sep 2021, 23:30
We have vans in our depot where the seatbelts does not click in, u report it but nothing ever gets done.
The obvious answer here is to log it off. Your manager won't be getting a fine/points if you're caught driving it.
If it's an ongoing thing then contact the area safety rep, he should put a stop to it.
Mr Rush
Posts: 3357
Joined: 05 Aug 2011, 14:27
Gender: Male

Re: Seatbelts : Stupid is as stupid does...

Post by Mr Rush »

ssdd wrote: ↑
26 Sep 2021, 23:34
Though I made it clear I had no intention of driving the vehicle in that state.
Yep, it's unfortunate you've got to make a scene to get that fixed. Who knows how many have been cowed into driving an unsafe vehicle over the years?
The machine stops.
Seymour Buts
Posts: 1148
Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
Gender: Male

Re: Seatbelts : Stupid is as stupid does...

Post by Seymour Buts »

I'll confess to not wearing mine half the time, but only on delivery going short distances at low speeds. There is one guy in our office that does what is pictured in this thread, doing 60 - 70 miles an hour around national speed limit roads on his rural. Crazy.
HTPostman
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1507
Joined: 01 Sep 2008, 23:53
Gender: Male

Re: Seatbelts : Stupid is as stupid does...

Post by HTPostman »

Seymour Buts wrote: ↑
27 Sep 2021, 22:41
I'll confess to not wearing mine half the time, but only on delivery going short distances at low speeds. There is one guy in our office that does what is pictured in this thread, doing 60 - 70 miles an hour around national speed limit roads on his rural. Crazy.
Isn’t the speed limit in our vans 50mph unless on a dual carriageway (60) or motorway (70)?

I think we’ve all driven short distances without seatbelts on but nowadays it’s just not worth it what with doorbell cameras, everyone carrying a mobile.
The day is gonna come when we’re all gonna have to testify.

526
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12195
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Re: Seatbelts : Stupid is as stupid does...

Post by SpacePhoenix »

HTPostman wrote: ↑
28 Sep 2021, 05:06
Seymour Buts wrote: ↑
27 Sep 2021, 22:41
I'll confess to not wearing mine half the time, but only on delivery going short distances at low speeds. There is one guy in our office that does what is pictured in this thread, doing 60 - 70 miles an hour around national speed limit roads on his rural. Crazy.
Isn’t the speed limit in our vans 50mph unless on a dual carriageway (60) or motorway (70)?

I think we’ve all driven short distances without seatbelts on but nowadays it’s just not worth it what with doorbell cameras, everyone carrying a mobile.
I wouldn't be surprised to see RM eventually put in cab cameras in all vehicles, diesel, petrol, hybrid or electric
yellowbelly
Posts: 3728
Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
Gender: Male

Re: Seatbelts : Stupid is as stupid does...

Post by yellowbelly »

Seymour Buts wrote: ↑
27 Sep 2021, 22:41
I'll confess to not wearing mine half the time, but only on delivery going short distances at low speeds. There is one guy in our office that does what is pictured in this thread, doing 60 - 70 miles an hour around national speed limit roads on his rural. Crazy.
Can understand what you're saying but you can't account for what other idiots are doing on the roads. A seatbelt can protect
you from serious injury even if your vehicle is stationary. I don't want to put my life at greater risk for Royal Mail just so I can deliver
a Radio Times 10 seconds quicker.
Route1
Posts: 369
Joined: 05 Jun 2015, 00:48
Gender: Female

Re: Seatbelts : Stupid is as stupid does...

Post by Route1 »

HTPostman wrote: ↑
28 Sep 2021, 05:06
Isn’t the speed limit in our vans 50mph unless on a dual carriageway (60) or motorway (70)?

I think we’ve all driven short distances without seatbelts on but nowadays it’s just not worth it what with doorbell cameras, everyone carrying a mobile.
Vans are limited to 70mph.....tested it out on a 70mph road. It wouldnt go any faster.

In my old age i tend to stick to the speed limit and wear a seat belt. Not bothered about RM pulling me up, its more I dont want to be the cause of an accident where someone else gets injured.

Likewise if the seatbelt doesnt work I wouldnt be driving that van. Not wearing a seatbelt is dumbass & so is driving one that doesnt have a working seatbelt.

We got a reserve van from the workshop recently. There were atleast 6 people from my office who drove it before me. I got the manager to have a look at the tyre & he said it was the worst tyre he'd ever seen. Outside was fine but the inside 1/4 was so bald, the metal was spiking out of the tyre. It got that bad because WE let it. WE didnt do a proper van check. Our office only had the van a week but that must have been like that for over a month.