ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Vehicle Check / prep for collection at Mail Centre

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
BA
Posts: 14
Joined: 04 Oct 2012, 10:55
Gender: Male

Vehicle Check / prep for collection at Mail Centre

Post by BA »

Management have told us that we should be leaving the depot to start our collection runs 15 minutes after our start time.
They say that 15 minutes is 'plenty' of time to do all the legal and necessary preparation for the collection route.

Are they right ?

I have had a look (all be it with my limited technical skills) to see if there is any documentation but failed.
If anyone is able to link to something I am able to read up on , I would appreciate the help.

BA
Schiff
Posts: 544
Joined: 01 Nov 2016, 22:02
Gender: Male

Re: Vehicle Check / prep for collection at Mail Centre

Post by Schiff »

I would suggest that management should be showing you exactly how to do this. Let them demonstrate, from walking through the door, signing in, collecting van keys, PDA etc (queuing with others who start at the same time), preparing the van and carrying out van checks correctly (make sure that they check the horn, all lights etc) how they would be ready to drive off within 15 minutes.

Then start talking sense.
NWpostie
Posts: 3620
Joined: 04 Aug 2007, 17:32
Gender: Male
Location: Sector 001 Borg Collective, 6 o f 9

Re: Vehicle Check / prep for collection at Mail Centre

Post by NWpostie »

You SHOULD check your van before taking it out on the road as you're legally responsible for any defects and pick up the points/fines, if there is any defects especially dangerous defects you should notify your manager and ask for a different van.

The 15 minutes time allowed is for your legally mandated vehicle check, you also sign the log book with the start mileage and checks performed either duty/daily/ weekly as appropriate, so if you ever get pulled over you can prove you have done it, if it's not been filled in at all, how can you prove you have checked the van ?
Six of Nine loves Seven of Nine, together in Electric Dreams.
BA
Posts: 14
Joined: 04 Oct 2012, 10:55
Gender: Male

Re: Vehicle Check / prep for collection at Mail Centre

Post by BA »

I understand the whys and wherefores of why it is done and the legal ramifications of failing to do so.

My question is specifically to do with how much time it takes. They say it should be complete in 15 minutes and then we should be on the road.

I can find no documentation to confirm that 15 minutes is the maximum time permitted.

in fact I can find no details at all as to how long is allowed to perform a daily or weekly checks

furthermore , with touchpoint cleaning mandated , no additional time has been added.
ssdd
Posts: 2053
Joined: 06 Sep 2018, 22:39
Gender: Male

Re: Vehicle Check / prep for collection at Mail Centre

Post by ssdd »

BA wrote: ↑
04 Sep 2021, 19:47
I understand the whys and wherefores of why it is done and the legal ramifications of failing to do so.

My question is specifically to do with how much time it takes. They say it should be complete in 15 minutes and then we should be on the road.

I can find no documentation to confirm that 15 minutes is the maximum time permitted.

in fact I can find no details at all as to how long is allowed to perform a daily or weekly checks

furthermore , with touchpoint cleaning mandated , no additional time has been added.
Hi BA, here's a wee link with regards to vehicle checks and the new PDA:viewtopic.php?f=82&t=99749statement-on- ... mber-2020/
Apparently it's 4mins for daily, 10mins weekly. Accordingly, to be inputted on PDA without having to fill out paper log book. At our last audit, the 'inspector' didn't check the paper log books.
Have you timed it yourself?
I think the advice from Schiff, above, is good, if there's going to be any grumbles...
With regard to touchpoint cleaning though, this was added to the PDA app later! So, no, these times don't include that!
BA
Posts: 14
Joined: 04 Oct 2012, 10:55
Gender: Male

Re: Vehicle Check / prep for collection at Mail Centre

Post by BA »

Thank you so much ssdd for the link

my searches had not turned up that information, it is useful , ultimately though if they should seek to cite this as the times agreed and that they have 'allowed' a further 5 minutes beyond that then I will no doubt be pushed back from my current position.

As it stands , with touchpoint cleaning , no fuel required I usually depart between 15 and 25 minutes after clock in. There are a number of factors that take me beyond 15 minutes , not least of which is that with the number of drivers expected to depart there are queues for everything.
All items from the keys office require signing for. We still have paper log-books as well as PDA vehicle checks, There is only one air-line and one hose.

I fully expect that under optimal conditions and if I was first to the air-line, hose , fuel pumps , oil , bins and hand wash facilities then I could be out after 15 minutes , even with touchpoint cleaning, I would of course have no time to source the 7 'bags-of-bags' for my post-offices, but as far as I know it isn't mandated we take mail-sacks other than for servicing post boxes.

It is likely that the driving force behind all of this is to be able to enact the shorter working week but without making any changes to content , simply pushing back the start time by 12 minutes at the start of the shift and then insisting we still have time.

I can't see a clear resolution to this , our IR rep wants to get the SWW with no wholesale changes to duties which is good , however the downside is that the same volume of work is expected to be performed in a shorter amount of time and the 'minutes' gained by insisting that elements of the 318 are taking too long , despite there now being further required elements that have not been factored in , particularly in relation to Covid Cleaning Standards.
I believe that RM has a number of obligations in regard to this but as an office we have not had any time factored in to achieve this. Furthermore it is obvious to me that it does not happen in the majority of cases. My own fleet van is used by 4 different drivers over the weekend and when I come to use it on a Monday I have no confidence that any of the agency drivers have cleaned anything, in fact a new, sealed pouch of alcohol wipes and sealed bottle of alcohol gel that I provided on the driver seat were left , unopened in the door pocket (but they may have brought their own, unlikely but possible)

Something will have to give eventually , once SWW is implemented.

For now , I may just ask my manager to demonstrate to all of us how they want us to do our checks in order to be within the timeframe and just do it exactly like they do.

We do have a workplace coach who is diligent and knowledgable but management rarely , if ever make use of him, in fact due to staff shortages of late we have a number of new staff , none of whom have been tutored by the 'coach' , instead they have just been sent out with another driver and 'shown the ropes'
ssdd
Posts: 2053
Joined: 06 Sep 2018, 22:39
Gender: Male

Re: Vehicle Check / prep for collection at Mail Centre

Post by ssdd »

Don't forget that on the PDA vehicle check you have to select yes or no to touchpoints cleaned before AND after. Where is the time to do this? I don't know...Has anyone selected no?
BA
Posts: 14
Joined: 04 Oct 2012, 10:55
Gender: Male

Re: Vehicle Check / prep for collection at Mail Centre

Post by BA »

ssdd wrote: ↑
05 Sep 2021, 11:05
Don't forget that on the PDA vehicle check you have to select yes or no to touchpoints cleaned before AND after. Where is the time to do this? I don't know...Has anyone selected no?
indeed, the before isn't listed on the LTB

I have had covid and it was awful , it is unlikely to have been from my vehicle as I am obsessive about cleaning touchpoints , particularly as I see the disregard some of my colleagues have towards hygiene