ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Bullying and harassment over the phone.

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Postie90
Posts: 6
Joined: 19 Oct 2020, 17:22
Gender: Male

Bullying and harassment over the phone.

Post by Postie90 »

Hello all
I don’t use this site very much but I’ve come here to ask for any advice about an incident, which happen yesterday (Saturday) that made me angry and stressed.

While out on my delivery I received a phone call from a manager questioning me over a tracked parcel I delivered on my lapsing. The customer came to the callers office saying that he had not received it. Yesterday was busy day with 2 loops of lapsing on top of my own delivery. With it being still contactless delivery I placed the parcel on the doorstep pushed the doorbell. Upon hearing a sound of movement in the property I presumed that someone was home so in my haste I quickly moved on to my next call without seeing the customer. This was the first of my errors I made that day. The second was I delivered the parcel to the wrong address. This I realised after the the phone call I received from the manager.
Exactly what made me angry and stressed is the manner and tone of voice I had to endure over the phone from the manager , over this incident. It was more like an interrogation . I was being asked what I did with the parcel, that the customer hadn’t received it. Being made to feel a liar. An investigation will be made. Then I started to hear another voice talking to me over the same incident. This confused me. It felt like I was speaking to two different people on separate phones. I was then told I was on speaker with the phone the manager had called me on. The other person was a PHG who was dealing with the customer at the callers office. They took it in turns to question me over this incident. This so-called conversation lasted 3 minutes and I imagined both of them standing in the callers office enjoying themselves. I started to feel stress and anxiety and all could say was “check my PDA what else can I say”. The reply back was a sarcastic “check my PDA. I received another phone call 5 minutes later from the same manager asking me to go back to the customers home and tell him what I did with his parcel. This I did and went straight to the wrong address (next door)I delivered the parcel to and retrieved it and gave it to the customer. I apologised to both customer and neighbour.
I can’t exactly remember every word which was sad over the phone but I intend on contacting my phone network to get a recording .
I will be seeing my unit rep and contacting area rep tomorrow and making a formal complaint . I not to sure on whether to contact the Royal Mail bully and harassment hotline.
Any advice would be appreciated.
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32805
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Re: Bullying and harassment over the phone.

Post by POSTMAN »

PHG....EX PHG needs to be told!
Many a time I've had slanging matches with wanna be managers!

Block your DO's number or in an extreme case change your number. You don't have to answer their calls btw, no signal guv.
And yes, it's a rep and area rep job you've done the right thing there.
This I did and went straight to the wrong address (next door)I delivered the parcel to and retrieved it and gave it to the customer.
What the hell, this could have been sorted in 30 seconds ffs, guess the neighbours aren't fwiends. You're unlucky there.
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
postman2014
Posts: 78
Joined: 04 Aug 2013, 00:15
Gender: Male

Re: Bullying and harassment over the phone.

Post by postman2014 »

To be honest you admitted door stepping the parcel and walked away without seeing a customer. The manager could get you done for that if he chose to. Just don't answer your phone next time. Just put it down as a one off and don't think to much of it. Its your personal phone at the end of the day.
Postie90
Posts: 6
Joined: 19 Oct 2020, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: Bullying and harassment over the phone.

Post by Postie90 »

postman2014 wrote: ↑
08 Aug 2021, 14:00
To be honest you admitted door stepping the parcel and walked away without seeing a customer. The manager could get you done for that if he chose to. Just don't answer your phone next time. Just put it down as a one off and don't think to much of it. Its your personal phone at the end of the day.
If the manager wants to do me for door stepping , then that’s fine with me. The whole point of my post is the phone call. If you could listen to it you would have more of an understanding as to why I’m stressed and angry. I shouldn’t have to switch my phone off and it’s not a one off. Ive been bullied before in the office I work in. From the same people. I want to take action and have something done about it. I’m not on some vendetta either.
Haditup
Posts: 195
Joined: 27 Nov 2020, 07:08
Gender: Male

Re: Bullying and harassment over the phone.

Post by Haditup »

I would just Let it go and block managers phone then the next time If they try to intimidate you they will have to do it to your face.
Manager will deny any wrong doings and PHG will back him/ her up.
BTW Most manager are Txxxx (little are not not).
theargyspy
Posts: 252
Joined: 23 Apr 2007, 17:02
Gender: Male
Location: UK

Re: Bullying and harassment over the phone.

Post by theargyspy »

This is a bit of a side issue and I know every office in the land seems to be different but surely there has been so such thing as a PHG for donkeys years...I've done over 37+ years and can hardly remember such a rank as a PHG
"Never have I known an employee so keen to employ you, then so eager to get rid of you!"
Postie90
Posts: 6
Joined: 19 Oct 2020, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: Bullying and harassment over the phone.

Post by Postie90 »

Haditup wrote: ↑
08 Aug 2021, 15:35
I would just Let it go and block managers phone then the next time If they try to intimidate you they will have to do it to your face.
Manager will deny any wrong doings and PHG will back him/ her up.
BTW Most manager are Txxxx (little are not not).
I won’t be letting it go. When I get a recording of the phone call , I’ll have a strong case.
Postie90
Posts: 6
Joined: 19 Oct 2020, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: Bullying and harassment over the phone.

Post by Postie90 »

theargyspy wrote: ↑
08 Aug 2021, 16:20
This is a bit of a side issue and I know every office in the land seems to be different but surely there has been so such thing as a PHG for donkeys years...I've done over 37+ years and can hardly remember such a rank as a PHG
I don’t quite known what the other person’s job title is called. I only need there name.
TopperGas
Posts: 3526
Joined: 13 Feb 2021, 22:46
Gender: Male

Re: Bullying and harassment over the phone.

Post by TopperGas »

Postie90 wrote: ↑
08 Aug 2021, 17:48
Haditup wrote: ↑
08 Aug 2021, 15:35
I would just Let it go and block managers phone then the next time If they try to intimidate you they will have to do it to your face.
Manager will deny any wrong doings and PHG will back him/ her up.
BTW Most manager are Txxxx (little are not not).
I won’t be letting it go. When I get a recording of the phone call , I’ll have a strong case.
It sounds to me you need to man up, you were questioned about what you did and it seems to me you were in the wrong but there's no suggestions the DM intends taking any further action against you. Suggest you keep quiet and it's all forgotten rather than potentially face disaplinary action for door stepping/delivering to the wrong address.

As far as getting recordings from your phone company, why do you think that they would record every users conversations?
pieoftheday
Posts: 1843
Joined: 11 Mar 2010, 16:43
Gender: Male

Re: Bullying and harassment over the phone.

Post by pieoftheday »

If you doorstep, your problem,
pieoftheday
Posts: 1843
Joined: 11 Mar 2010, 16:43
Gender: Male

Re: Bullying and harassment over the phone.

Post by pieoftheday »

If you doorstep, your problem,
Johnletters
Posts: 7
Joined: 21 May 2011, 15:27
Gender: Male

Re: Bullying and harassment over the phone.

Post by Johnletters »

TopperGas wrote: ↑
08 Aug 2021, 18:08
Postie90 wrote: ↑
08 Aug 2021, 17:48
Haditup wrote: ↑
08 Aug 2021, 15:35
I would just Let it go and block managers phone then the next time If they try to intimidate you they will have to do it to your face.
Manager will deny any wrong doings and PHG will back him/ her up.
BTW Most manager are Txxxx (little are not not).
I won’t be letting it go. When I get a recording of the phone call , I’ll have a strong case.
It sounds to me you need to man up, you were questioned about what you did and it seems to me you were in the wrong but there's no suggestions the DM intends taking any further action against you. Suggest you keep quiet and it's all forgotten rather than potentially face disaplinary action for door stepping/delivering to the wrong address.

As far as getting recordings from your phone company, why do you think that they would record every users conversations?
I totally agree with everything you’ve said TG. And there’s no way anyone can just get a recording of a conversation from the mobile phone company whenever they want. Totally ridiculous suggestion from the OP.
postslippete
Posts: 4198
Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
Gender: Male

Re: Bullying and harassment over the phone.

Post by postslippete »

Let it go.

Lucky for you the situation has been resolved. Don't agree with doorstepping but due to covid Royal Mail have suggested we leave parcels on the step and you said that you heard the customer and you had double lapsing to do which is why you didn't wait.

You might feel like you were treated like a dog by your manager but most of them don't possess very good communication skills because if they did they would have informed the customer to leave it with them and they will get in touch once they have spoken to the postie in person. All they have done is wound you up and made the situation worse.

In future don't take calls from the management team whilst on delivery or at the very least change your ringtones so you know who's getting in touch.
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
no1postie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 129
Joined: 16 Jan 2011, 14:48
Gender: Male

Re: Bullying and harassment over the phone.

Post by no1postie »

get a free app for your phone that automatically records all calls, might help in future, sit tight for a while and see if it all goes away, usually does.
scoobydo79
Posts: 2057
Joined: 15 May 2011, 19:04
Gender: Male

Re: Bullying and harassment over the phone.

Post by scoobydo79 »

First and foremost.Dont doorstep. You were in the wrong.This caused all the hassle for You and everyone else involved.Cut callers office some slack. It’s as stressful as F- —...They are left explaining to the customer why there’s been a ballsup. Now forget move on. You could make it worse for Yourself.