ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Part time hours query

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Oxygenpro
Posts: 29
Joined: 12 May 2018, 23:04
Gender: Male

Part time hours query

Post by Oxygenpro »

I'm aware that this only effects part timers but any feedback would be good.

Up until recently there have been more and more instances of part timers walking in on a morning, seeing s**t tonne of work and deciding they want to work their 6 hours. In an attempt to combat this our office has brought part timers finish times in line with full timers finish times - for example, previously a part timer would come in at 7.30, their contract hours would end at 13.30 and then 13.30-15.40 (using Wednesday as an example) would be contract variance. Now part timers are being told to work back 6 hours from the duty finish time (using a 30 hour contract as an example) and start the duty then, meaning if they want overtime then it is done in the morning 7.30-9.40.

Although I am PT myself, I am happy to do FT hours and also don't come back early so it doesn't effect me but just wondered if it was standard or just our office.

Although I was on a duty today with a 14.10 finish I was doing tracked and clearing bits and pieces from other frames and came back at 13.30 (not job killing as I wasn't actually just doing that delivery) when I got back I was told to go back out (despite the fact I started at 6.30 to double prep so had done 7hours).

Cheers
Blaine
Posts: 90
Joined: 13 Oct 2011, 20:07
Gender: Male

Re: Part time hours query

Post by Blaine »

Seems strange to have part timers finish first. The idea is part timers don't prep, they come in to a fully prepped fitting roughly 2 to 2.5 hours after full timers start, and just tie up and go out. We've always had everyone finish at the same time. A typical Wednesday for us is full timers come in at 6.42, and either prep 2 jobs or prep 1 and walksort. Part timers come in at 9. All finish at 14.40. A handful of part timers come in at 6.42 to prep 2 jobs. One or two come in at 8 or 8.30 so the manager can give them lapsing.
Oxygenpro
Posts: 29
Joined: 12 May 2018, 23:04
Gender: Male

Re: Part time hours query

Post by Oxygenpro »

Cheers, we've had so many managers recently trying to implement new things I never no what the correct way of doing things is.

The strangest thing is that they put this in writing for us 30 days ago which suggested to me what we were doing previously was correct!
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12195
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Re: Part time hours query

Post by SpacePhoenix »

Oxygenpro wrote: ↑
07 Aug 2021, 17:22
Although I was on a duty today with a 14.10 finish I was doing tracked and clearing bits and pieces from other frames and came back at 13.30 (not job killing as I wasn't actually just doing that delivery) when I got back I was told to go back out (despite the fact I started at 6.30 to double prep so had done 7hours).
What part of them 7hrs was ot? If your proper finish time is 14:10 then the DOM is within their rights to send you out again. Job and finish went years ago
TopperGas
Posts: 3526
Joined: 13 Feb 2021, 22:46
Gender: Male

Re: Part time hours query

Post by TopperGas »

So were you expecting to be paid to 14:10 despite finishing at 13:30?

Part time contracts seem a mess generally as most p/t'ers who went the hours, seem to be working full time 52 weeks a year.

I was told when I started it is usually a lot quieter in the summer months so my hours would be reduced but, if anything, our DO is busier now than in the winter, covering absenses and annual leave.

I can't see what the RM gains by having so many p/t'ers working f/t hours as surely paying them o/t rates is more expensive than the normal rate p/h?
Blaine
Posts: 90
Joined: 13 Oct 2011, 20:07
Gender: Male

Re: Part time hours query

Post by Blaine »

If he hadn't yet taken his break he could have left at 13.30, that's what 99% of people do in our office anyway, even though its not the proper way of doing it, as managers are usually gone before then.
I can't see what the RM gains by having so many p/t'ers working f/t hours as surely paying them o/t rates is more expensive than the normal rate p/h?
It's actually the same. Up to 38 hours there is no difference in pay.

Although it does my head in, its RMs way of saving money... sickness, holiday pay and if they don't need you they can just say come in later.
Oxygenpro
Posts: 29
Joined: 12 May 2018, 23:04
Gender: Male

Re: Part time hours query

Post by Oxygenpro »

TopperGas wrote: ↑
07 Aug 2021, 19:58
So were you expecting to be paid to 14:10 despite finishing at 13:30?

Part time contracts seem a mess generally as most p/t'ers who went the hours, seem to be working full time 52 weeks a year.

I was told when I started it is usually a lot quieter in the summer months so my hours would be reduced but, if anything, our DO is busier now than in the winter, covering absenses and annual leave.

I can't see what the RM gains by having so many p/t'ers working f/t hours as surely paying them o/t rates is more expensive than the normal rate p/h?
Sorry, wasn't very clear. I was only expecting to be paid what I worked. I'm contracted to six hours and did 7. But because I came back before the duty finish time of 2.10 I was sent out for another 40 minutes of overtime (I was covering a job that has been vacant for about a year).
fb1969
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1693
Joined: 29 Aug 2012, 08:38
Gender: Male
Location: hiding on the backstreets

Re: Part time hours query

Post by fb1969 »

I'm part time and am often asked to start early. When that happens, I claim the early start to regular start time as overtime as soon as I start. I'd never expect to finish and/or go home before my finish time.
Royal Mail
failing the workforce, failing the public and deliberately failing mail on a daily basis for too many years.
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32805
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Re: Part time hours query

Post by POSTMAN »

Sorry, wasn't very clear. I was only expecting to be paid what I worked. I'm contracted to six hours and did 7. But because I came back before the duty finish time of 2.10 I was sent out for another 40 minutes of overtime (I was covering a job that has been vacant for about a year).
So you got paid for 7-40hrs then, or there abouts?
Technically you could have refused as you had already done 1hr over your contracted time.
Took your break yes?
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.