Hi all, I haven't been a postie too long now and I am aware that all walks are different and some are longer than others but should I generally be completing a frame by myself (including packets and large packets) between 9am and 2:10pm??
I've started noticing managers getting a bit arsey with me for leaving mail. I even had an argument with one the other week. I HATE the idea of having to come into work every day and possibly end up arguing with one of them.
Today, I decided to power walk to get done ( I still left some mail in the frame and packets were light) and still only just finished on my time but I was knackered after it!
Usually my mail is prepped for me, I just have to tie up and load the van but sometimes it is just plain unrealistic to get everything completed.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
People on 27.5 Hours. How much do you realistically get done in a shift?
-
Dex7
- Posts: 33
- Joined: 20 Jul 2018, 12:35
- Gender: Male
-
Jpro747
- Posts: 1342
- Joined: 23 Dec 2012, 10:22
- Gender: Male
Re: People on 27.5 Hours. How much do you realistically get done in a shift?
RM managers
They can’t figure out how to make the place more efficient or accept that the rounds are unachievable so they bully staff into completing the rounds.
Don’t stand for it, get your rep involved and put a grievance in.
They can’t figure out how to make the place more efficient or accept that the rounds are unachievable so they bully staff into completing the rounds.
Don’t stand for it, get your rep involved and put a grievance in.
-
POSTMAN
- SITE ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 32805
- Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
- Gender: Male
Re: People on 27.5 Hours. How much do you realistically get done in a shift?
Take your time, no power walking!
See your rep or a senior colleague about the round/s not being prepped properly.
You're also entitled to 30mins break.
Full timers are being lazy now and again and it's not on.
One day I will let people name names and locations etc, the w*****s we work with!
See your rep or a senior colleague about the round/s not being prepped properly.
You're also entitled to 30mins break.
Full timers are being lazy now and again and it's not on.
One day I will let people name names and locations etc, the w*****s we work with!
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
-
chickenwittle
- Posts: 2095
- Joined: 15 Nov 2009, 09:43
- Gender: Male
Re: People on 27.5 Hours. How much do you realistically get done in a shift?
POSTMAN wrote: ↑05 Aug 2021, 21:26Take your time, no power walking!
See your rep or a senior colleague about the round/s not being prepped properly.
You're also entitled to 30mins break.
Full timers are being lazy now and again and it's not on.
Or maybe the full timer doesn’t have the time to complete prepping the part time walk as well as prepping his own and getting out on time to complete his own duty.
One day I will let people name names and locations etc, the w*****s we work with!
-
POSTMAN
- SITE ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 32805
- Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
- Gender: Male
Re: People on 27.5 Hours. How much do you realistically get done in a shift?
You're the 1st, I was waiting for the 1st full timers it's not our problem I can't finish post.
Sorry if I offend.
But no, it's your job, and you carry on unless directed by a manager who has f****d up resources by not having enough staff.
Not your problem.
More time in the office is less time outside.
More full timers cutting off/failing is what it is, as long as the rep is making sure it's being all reported...
Royal Mail & CWU National Joint Statement Avoiding Delay (Commit to Deliver) and Reporting Standards
Every cloud has a silver lining, every reported failure has management on the run.
This should of been a goer the very 1st time a part timer came into the office.
Sorry if I offend.
But no, it's your job, and you carry on unless directed by a manager who has f****d up resources by not having enough staff.
Not your problem.
More time in the office is less time outside.
More full timers cutting off/failing is what it is, as long as the rep is making sure it's being all reported...
Royal Mail & CWU National Joint Statement Avoiding Delay (Commit to Deliver) and Reporting Standards
Every cloud has a silver lining, every reported failure has management on the run.
This should of been a goer the very 1st time a part timer came into the office.
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
-
Route1
- Posts: 369
- Joined: 05 Jun 2015, 00:48
- Gender: Female
Re: People on 27.5 Hours. How much do you realistically get done in a shift?
We are on similar contracts and tend to finish on time with no d2ds. With d2ds it might be we are over 15 - 30 min wed - fri. But our walk is probably a bit under the 4hr 30min duration. Other walks in our office cant be done because everyone knows they are either too long or get too many packets.
Like u said it depends on the walk and how experienced a postie you are. I definitely wouldnt power walk or cut any corners.
Tie down & loading should have a certain amount of time allocated to it. Are performing the indoor aspect of the job within time?
Like u said it depends on the walk and how experienced a postie you are. I definitely wouldnt power walk or cut any corners.
Tie down & loading should have a certain amount of time allocated to it. Are performing the indoor aspect of the job within time?
-
TopperGas
- Posts: 3526
- Joined: 13 Feb 2021, 22:46
- Gender: Male
Re: People on 27.5 Hours. How much do you realistically get done in a shift?
What happens when you are away, does the round usually get completed in the same time frame, if so, then you can see why your managers are on your case, if not, just ignore them.Dex7 wrote: ↑05 Aug 2021, 20:01Hi all, I haven't been a postie too long now and I am aware that all walks are different and some are longer than others but should I generally be completing a frame by myself (including packets and large packets) between 9am and 2:10pm??
I've started noticing managers getting a bit arsey with me for leaving mail. I even had an argument with one the other week. I HATE the idea of having to come into work every day and possibly end up arguing with one of them.
Today, I decided to power walk to get done ( I still left some mail in the frame and packets were light) and still only just finished on my time but I was knackered after it!
Usually my mail is prepped for me, I just have to tie up and load the van but sometimes it is just plain unrealistic to get everything completed.
-
ImogenM
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 25
- Joined: 08 Apr 2021, 11:33
- Gender: Female
Re: People on 27.5 Hours. How much do you realistically get done in a shift?
I'm also a relatively recent start on a 27hr contract (less than 6 months on the job) and the first walk I was put on for any length of time was notorious in the DO for being very outsized and even the experienced posties were unable to finish it on time - luckily I had great support from colleagues who advised and helped me from the start on managing the workload and reminding me that I should take my breaks and I could finish at my contracted start time if I didn't want the overtime. In my first few weeks I definitely tried rushing around/power walking and just found myself burnt out and exhausted during my time off and definitely wouldn't recommend that!
However, with time I also got a lot quicker at the walk as I got more familiar with it and over time would need to either leave less mail on the frame (agreed with managers before I left) or brought back less mail when I was told to take it all out and do whatever I could by the managers on days when I didn't want to work overtime. Currently I'm on a more reasonably sized walk than the one I started on - for the first couple of weeks I was on the new walk I was either working overtime or bringing back some mail each day (making sure to alternate which loops didn't get completed and ensuring all the priority mail was delivered) but now I'm proud to say I can manage the whole frame on a normal day whilst going a reasonable pace (not rushing) and taking my break.
I know the managers get a lot of flak on this forum sometimes but I've personally actually had really good experiences and been supported through my learning by them and my colleagues even though I almost certainly take longer than the experienced posties to get the hang of a new walk! I think I must have been really lucky with both my managers and colleagues so far.
Even if you're finding that your manager isn't helpful or supportive in this way, are there colleagues in the DO you can talk to for moral support and/or tips on getting your round done to time?
However, with time I also got a lot quicker at the walk as I got more familiar with it and over time would need to either leave less mail on the frame (agreed with managers before I left) or brought back less mail when I was told to take it all out and do whatever I could by the managers on days when I didn't want to work overtime. Currently I'm on a more reasonably sized walk than the one I started on - for the first couple of weeks I was on the new walk I was either working overtime or bringing back some mail each day (making sure to alternate which loops didn't get completed and ensuring all the priority mail was delivered) but now I'm proud to say I can manage the whole frame on a normal day whilst going a reasonable pace (not rushing) and taking my break.
I know the managers get a lot of flak on this forum sometimes but I've personally actually had really good experiences and been supported through my learning by them and my colleagues even though I almost certainly take longer than the experienced posties to get the hang of a new walk! I think I must have been really lucky with both my managers and colleagues so far.
Even if you're finding that your manager isn't helpful or supportive in this way, are there colleagues in the DO you can talk to for moral support and/or tips on getting your round done to time?