ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Are Vacant duties a nationwide issue?
-
Murdoch
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 572
- Joined: 11 Apr 2018, 16:55
- Gender: Male
Are Vacant duties a nationwide issue?
So, we've had a number of senior Posties leave in the last year, which isn't the most surprising thing in the world.
Yet, not a single one of their vacant duties has been filled. We've got some unfilled rounds that haven't had a duty holder for 24 months.
All that seems to happen is we hire some people on small part-time contracts.
How common is this? And what methods do you think would work best at getting this situation changed?
Yet, not a single one of their vacant duties has been filled. We've got some unfilled rounds that haven't had a duty holder for 24 months.
All that seems to happen is we hire some people on small part-time contracts.
How common is this? And what methods do you think would work best at getting this situation changed?
-
yellowbelly
- Posts: 3728
- Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
- Gender: Male
Re: Are Vacant duties a nationwide issue?
Aren't vacant duties supposed to be advertised/be available after a maximum of six months?
Get your rep on it surely....?
Perhaps the excuse will be that they can't anything about it until after your revision.
Get your rep on it surely....?
Perhaps the excuse will be that they can't anything about it until after your revision.
-
Murdoch
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 572
- Joined: 11 Apr 2018, 16:55
- Gender: Male
Re: Are Vacant duties a nationwide issue?
We've raised it with the rep countless times, raised it with the manager countless times.
Nothing gets done.
Seems to be the motto for Royal Mail Management.
Kick the can down the road, nothing ever gets done.
Nothing gets done.
Seems to be the motto for Royal Mail Management.
Kick the can down the road, nothing ever gets done.
-
payetwhu
- Posts: 54
- Joined: 31 Aug 2013, 21:05
- Gender: Male
Re: Are Vacant duties a nationwide issue?
Same in my office. Reason they gave is because revision coming up
-
Sprattacus
- Posts: 48
- Joined: 15 Nov 2017, 20:48
- Gender: Male
Re: Are Vacant duties a nationwide issue?
[no]
Last edited by Sprattacus on 16 May 2022, 13:51, edited 1 time in total.
-
luddite
- Posts: 451
- Joined: 06 May 2008, 20:24
Re: Are Vacant duties a nationwide issue?
Aren't duty holders a thing of the past? Management and rep saying rotations are the future and everyone will have to know at least three duties and be prepared to be moved at a moments notice. It's called flexibility. Out of around 50 duties only 10 are duty holders, if someone applies then it's either no or they are so rarely actually on that duty that they aren't a duty holder. I'm a duty holder but I'm seen as a problem and want me off it, they don't offer any training so not exactly attractive to be flexible!
-
worktotime
- Posts: 2866
- Joined: 14 May 2010, 20:47
- Gender: Male
Re: Are Vacant duties a nationwide issue?
at least 4-5 vacancies inc f/t in our orrifice not filled , we have mentioned it all the time to orrifice and area rep and f**k all been done , the Crumbling Workers Union are dead and buried , 
-
Ozzvaldo
- Posts: 476
- Joined: 15 Jul 2012, 20:35
- Gender: Female
Re: Are Vacant duties a nationwide issue?
We've been understaffed for years.....we currently have 10 vacancies due to a combination of staff leaving and several new starters deciding that the job isn't for them. We have 7 or 8 new starts planned in the next few weeks, but who knows how many will stay long term? For some reason the job doesn't seem as attractive as it once did. 
-
Ozzvaldo
- Posts: 476
- Joined: 15 Jul 2012, 20:35
- Gender: Female
Re: Are Vacant duties a nationwide issue?
We've been understaffed for years.....we currently have 10 vacancies due to a combination of staff leaving and several new starters deciding that the job isn't for them. We have 7 or 8 new starts planned in the next few weeks, but who knows how many will stay long term? For some reason the job doesn't seem as attractive as it once did. 
-
noggin1969
- Posts: 1321
- Joined: 13 Oct 2009, 17:28
- Gender: Male
Re: Are Vacant duties a nationwide issue?
1
Last edited by noggin1969 on 01 Feb 2024, 17:09, edited 1 time in total.
-
WASD
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 375
- Joined: 03 Jul 2019, 12:15
- Gender: Male
Re: Are Vacant duties a nationwide issue?
I'm not entirely sure which of our rounds are unsigned, but we've had several owners leave or retire past 12 months. There was some advertisements done after apparently people kicking up a fuss, but those few who did pick up something get moved around anyway.
Our office's problem is lack of staff (10/15/20) failed rounds a day, same people getting shafted/bullied, and some full timers going home early despite rounds down and failed tracked.
Our office's problem is lack of staff (10/15/20) failed rounds a day, same people getting shafted/bullied, and some full timers going home early despite rounds down and failed tracked.
-
DDDJAM36
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 34
- Joined: 11 Dec 2019, 18:41
- Gender: Male
Re: Are Vacant duties a nationwide issue?
Lack of staff , lack of staff, lack of staff , under-manned all the time at my depot , but it's fine isn't it , doesn't matter , just pile the extra work on the people that turn up every day. This will be the main factor that will make me hand my notice in , nothing ever gets done about the lack of staff.
-
Grumpyoldmailman
- Posts: 810
- Joined: 24 Nov 2019, 22:29
- Gender: Male
Re: Are Vacant duties a nationwide issue?
Have been vacant duty’s at our since about 3 years ago when they stopped bothering to advertise them anymore.We have been promised they will be advertised every 6 months after the upcoming revision but we will have to wait and see.
People seems to be leaving ours in droves at the moment, 3 senior members just last week, all that knowledge just gone but management don’t care. Most of our new starter struggle to last a month, not helped by being given a 25 hour contracts and lumped with 40 hours work. Sickness levels through the roof. I have seen moral hit low points over the years but nothing to this level , we can’t be far from hitting rock bottom. Think I will have to get my pension forecast andwork out if I can afford to jump yet.
Anytime we are short the lapsing just gets made bigger and added to the lapsing we already don’t have time to do. Madness.
People seems to be leaving ours in droves at the moment, 3 senior members just last week, all that knowledge just gone but management don’t care. Most of our new starter struggle to last a month, not helped by being given a 25 hour contracts and lumped with 40 hours work. Sickness levels through the roof. I have seen moral hit low points over the years but nothing to this level , we can’t be far from hitting rock bottom. Think I will have to get my pension forecast andwork out if I can afford to jump yet.
Anytime we are short the lapsing just gets made bigger and added to the lapsing we already don’t have time to do. Madness.
-
HTPostman
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1507
- Joined: 01 Sep 2008, 23:53
- Gender: Male
Re: Are Vacant duties a nationwide issue?
None advertised here for the last 2 years.
Early on I was hopeful I might one day get my own round, but nowadays it no longer bothers me as I’ve 3 years seniority and doubt I’ll get my own round before I retire in 7 years. Would be lovely to at least have a cover duty purely so I know my days off. I hate finding out on the Friday afternoon what my day off is the following week.
I know what you’re saying about people leaving though. In my section of 18 rounds there are 5 who will be retiring soon.
As for the workload itself, it no longer bothers me. I start on time, don’t really care what round I’m on, how many days it hasn’t gone for, how many D2Ds I have, it doesn’t bother me what they want me to do. Start time, 2 x breaks, finish time. I feel sorry for the older postmen who have been doing the same round for years and feel a duty to deliver that birthday card to old Aunt Edna at number 36 but for me there’s no stress to doing as I’m told then going home.
Early on I was hopeful I might one day get my own round, but nowadays it no longer bothers me as I’ve 3 years seniority and doubt I’ll get my own round before I retire in 7 years. Would be lovely to at least have a cover duty purely so I know my days off. I hate finding out on the Friday afternoon what my day off is the following week.
I know what you’re saying about people leaving though. In my section of 18 rounds there are 5 who will be retiring soon.
As for the workload itself, it no longer bothers me. I start on time, don’t really care what round I’m on, how many days it hasn’t gone for, how many D2Ds I have, it doesn’t bother me what they want me to do. Start time, 2 x breaks, finish time. I feel sorry for the older postmen who have been doing the same round for years and feel a duty to deliver that birthday card to old Aunt Edna at number 36 but for me there’s no stress to doing as I’m told then going home.
The day is gonna come when we’re all gonna have to testify.
526
526
-
Seymour Buts
- Posts: 1148
- Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
- Gender: Male
Re: Are Vacant duties a nationwide issue?
We've had five or six put on the board over the last two weeks due to constant nagging from staff interested in the vacant jobs. Still some nice vacant walks being held for newbies though. I think the business has probably realised keeping new hires is probably easier, if they ain't chucked from pillow to post for the first few months.