ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Can't even ring in sick!

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Itoldyouso
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 8
Joined: 30 Oct 2020, 19:02
Gender: Male

Can't even ring in sick!

Post by Itoldyouso »

Hi all,

Just thought I’d share a story from today!

I called in sick this morning after suffering from sickness and diarrhoea, and the response I received from the manager was not what I expected.

They asked me if I wanted to come in anyway, and if need be I could rush of to the toilet. Of course my response was no thank you.

This annoyed me because it just summarises the amount of pressure we are being put under during the pandemic. You shouldn’t be pressured to come in if you are sick, for your own health and that of others around you.

I do love this job and have been a postie for nearly 4 years, but it feels like everyday day more is expected of us, including coming in on sick days. Bearing in mind this is the first time I’ve called in sick in 18 months!

Just thought I’d share my experience!!
WASD
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 375
Joined: 03 Jul 2019, 12:15
Gender: Male

Re: Can’t even ring in sick!

Post by WASD »

I can believe it. Managers have no clue how to make their OWN lives easier. You mention no sickness for 18 months and they behave like that. This in turn just creates a negative attitude which goes against your moral and work ethic, creating more work for management. Actually mind boggling why they behave like they do.

When i had my notice in i'm sure they'll be confused as to why they lost another good worker. 3 days sick in 4yrs here.

Make all managers posties and re employee externally i say.
korky
Posts: 797
Joined: 30 Dec 2007, 09:28

Re: Can’t even ring in sick!

Post by korky »

a workmate once dropped a heavy plant pot on his foot, called in sick next morning to say he couldn't even get his shoe on and was very painful,
their reply was can you still come in to do some indoor work in your slippers on :left:
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12195
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Re: Can’t even ring in sick!

Post by SpacePhoenix »

WASD wrote: ↑
22 Jul 2021, 12:08
When i had my notice in i'm sure they'll be confused as to why they lost another good worker. 3 days sick in 4yrs here.
Doubtful, we and even the managers are just a number to RM
WASD
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 375
Joined: 03 Jul 2019, 12:15
Gender: Male

Re: Can’t even ring in sick!

Post by WASD »

SpacePhoenix wrote: ↑
22 Jul 2021, 16:55
WASD wrote: ↑
22 Jul 2021, 12:08
When i had my notice in i'm sure they'll be confused as to why they lost another good worker. 3 days sick in 4yrs here.
Doubtful, we and even the managers are just a number to RM
Agree there, i know they get a lot of flack from their aboves too. But it just backs up my point of managers just don't seem to want to make their own lives easier.