ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Heat...Good old health and safety
-
Streets4228
- Posts: 17
- Joined: 10 May 2021, 13:35
- Gender: Male
Re: Heat...Good old health and safety
Thought this might be of interest.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
ripio
- Posts: 233
- Joined: 06 Sep 2008, 23:32
- Gender: Male
Re: Heat...Good old health and safety
It isn't of interest or relevant.
-
XCHpostie
- Posts: 51
- Joined: 22 Mar 2011, 12:33
- Gender: Male
Re: Heat...Good old health and safety
It would appear that no lessons have been learned after last years heatwave.
-
HTPostman
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1507
- Joined: 01 Sep 2008, 23:53
- Gender: Male
Re: Heat...Good old health and safety
Personally I’d be happy losing a few hours pay each day during extremely warm weather if it was offered - so instead of 7.15 to 3.15 like tomorrow, just do indoor work then half a round (plus tracked) outdoors working 7.15 till 1.15.
Appreciate everyone’s circumstances are different. But for me there gets a point during the heat where I get so fed up and slogging myself for another £15/£16 (after deductions) isn’t worth it.
Appreciate everyone’s circumstances are different. But for me there gets a point during the heat where I get so fed up and slogging myself for another £15/£16 (after deductions) isn’t worth it.
The day is gonna come when we’re all gonna have to testify.
526
526
-
Streets4228
- Posts: 17
- Joined: 10 May 2021, 13:35
- Gender: Male
Re: Heat...Good old health and safety
Why not. We signed up to deliver mail in all weathers. It does ay that on all vacancy adverts you see. So come rain, hail, snow or shine regardless of the temperature outside I'll be doing my duty as instructed. You don't like it then get another job and see what the terms and conditions are like elsewhere compared to here. Oh and you will have to work God damn hard for your £10 an hour as well, not like here where you get your £16 an hour and it's not hard work is it.
Sick of the same old moaning year in year out.
Oh it's too hot / cold.
Oh it's dark.
I've been here for 30 years I used to go out on delivery when it was dark. I've been out in sun till 3 or 4 in the afternoon. You all need to grow up and get on with it.
-
XCHpostie
- Posts: 51
- Joined: 22 Mar 2011, 12:33
- Gender: Male
Re: Heat...Good old health and safety
Thought this might be of interest
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
WASD
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 375
- Joined: 03 Jul 2019, 12:15
- Gender: Male
Re: Heat...Good old health and safety
When i was a wee child of 4yrs old they used to have me up chimneys where i'd die from cancer at the age of 30, or even worse i once lost an arm bled out an died from working under a machine that was spinnin really fast. You people today have it easy, i was on 12hr shifts for a few food scraps.Streets4228 wrote: ↑20 Jul 2021, 21:16Why not. We signed up to deliver mail in all weathers. It does ay that on all vacancy adverts you see. So come rain, hail, snow or shine regardless of the temperature outside I'll be doing my duty as instructed. You don't like it then get another job and see what the terms and conditions are like elsewhere compared to here. Oh and you will have to work God damn hard for your £10 an hour as well, not like here where you get your £16 an hour and it's not hard work is it.
Sick of the same old moaning year in year out.
Oh it's too hot / cold.
Oh it's dark.
I've been here for 30 years I used to go out on delivery when it was dark. I've been out in sun till 3 or 4 in the afternoon. You all need to grow up and get on with it.
-
ripio
- Posts: 233
- Joined: 06 Sep 2008, 23:32
- Gender: Male
Re: Heat...Good old health and safety
It's not of interest or relevant because we are posties, not soldiers, we deliver mostly junk mail and a few parcels, it's not vital work, it's not in defence of the realm or freedom or anything important.Streets4228 wrote: ↑20 Jul 2021, 21:16Why not. We signed up to deliver mail in all weathers. It does ay that on all vacancy adverts you see. So come rain, hail, snow or shine regardless of the temperature outside I'll be doing my duty as instructed. You don't like it then get another job and see what the terms and conditions are like elsewhere compared to here. Oh and you will have to work God damn hard for your £10 an hour as well, not like here where you get your £16 an hour and it's not hard work is it.
Sick of the same old moaning year in year out.
Oh it's too hot / cold.
Oh it's dark.
I've been here for 30 years I used to go out on delivery when it was dark. I've been out in sun till 3 or 4 in the afternoon. You all need to grow up and get on with it.
Why militarise a basic civilian job with terms like 'signed up', 'doing my duty as instructed', etc.
Yes, we are expected to work in all weather conditions. But the company has an extreme weather protocol for the purpose of ensuring health and safety of the workforce, so it shouldn't come as a surprise that people might call for some consideration in conditions of high temperatures which can be a risk to health.
And I don't know where you're getting £16 an hour? I only get just over £12 an hour.
-
sindba
- Posts: 1456
- Joined: 05 Feb 2012, 20:27
- Gender: Male
Re: Heat...Good old health and safety
You know why our terms and conditions are better than some "other jobs"?Streets4228 wrote: ↑20 Jul 2021, 21:16Why not. We signed up to deliver mail in all weathers. It does ay that on all vacancy adverts you see. So come rain, hail, snow or shine regardless of the temperature outside I'll be doing my duty as instructed. You don't like it then get another job and see what the terms and conditions are like elsewhere compared to here. Oh and you will have to work God damn hard for your £10 an hour as well, not like here where you get your £16 an hour and it's not hard work is it.
Sick of the same old moaning year in year out.
Oh it's too hot / cold.
Oh it's dark.
I've been here for 30 years I used to go out on delivery when it was dark. I've been out in sun till 3 or 4 in the afternoon. You all need to grow up and get on with it.
Because we stand up for ours, we don't just roll over like you want us to.
We do things like demand proper health and safety in dangerous conditions.
-
Streets4228
- Posts: 17
- Joined: 10 May 2021, 13:35
- Gender: Male
Re: Heat...Good old health and safety
HTpostman wrote £15/16 I was going off that.
Yes we are not military but we use terms of military nature, leave, duty, sign up. Or do not sign up for a duty in your office when you have had a revision, do you not have leave or do u use holidays in your office. There is a lot of similarities in wording between us and the military.
I stand up for my rights I have been on strikes for what I believe is in our interests and for our terms and conditions.
My point is we came into this job with everything pointed out to us that whatever the weather, we delivered the mail to spec.
No all I hear is "it's too hot"
Snowflakes
Yes we are not military but we use terms of military nature, leave, duty, sign up. Or do not sign up for a duty in your office when you have had a revision, do you not have leave or do u use holidays in your office. There is a lot of similarities in wording between us and the military.
I stand up for my rights I have been on strikes for what I believe is in our interests and for our terms and conditions.
My point is we came into this job with everything pointed out to us that whatever the weather, we delivered the mail to spec.
No all I hear is "it's too hot"
Snowflakes
-
HTPostman
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1507
- Joined: 01 Sep 2008, 23:53
- Gender: Male
Re: Heat...Good old health and safety
Re: £15/16.
I said ‘I’d be happy losing a few hours pay when it’s warm, I get to a point in the heat where I’m fed up of slogging it and I’m not fussed about another £15/£16 after deductions.’
Meaning before tax I get £23 ish for 2 hours. After tax/pensions/student loan it’s £16 ish for 2 hours.
The army are given extensive training to cope with the heat. They aren’t just plonked in the middle of a desert in Afghanistan and told give it your best. It confuses me why we have a winter plan, if it’s snowing heavily we are sometimes told to come back or allowed to leave difficult calls. But when it’s very warm (and let’s not forget the Met Office are telling us to stay indoors and not exercise during the heat) we are told to get on with it, we are given a pat on the back by management who simply say ‘just walk in the shade, oh and don’t forget your lapsing.’
Nothing to do with being snowflakes. I would just like my employer to make a reasonable effort to help us.
I said ‘I’d be happy losing a few hours pay when it’s warm, I get to a point in the heat where I’m fed up of slogging it and I’m not fussed about another £15/£16 after deductions.’
Meaning before tax I get £23 ish for 2 hours. After tax/pensions/student loan it’s £16 ish for 2 hours.
The army are given extensive training to cope with the heat. They aren’t just plonked in the middle of a desert in Afghanistan and told give it your best. It confuses me why we have a winter plan, if it’s snowing heavily we are sometimes told to come back or allowed to leave difficult calls. But when it’s very warm (and let’s not forget the Met Office are telling us to stay indoors and not exercise during the heat) we are told to get on with it, we are given a pat on the back by management who simply say ‘just walk in the shade, oh and don’t forget your lapsing.’
Nothing to do with being snowflakes. I would just like my employer to make a reasonable effort to help us.
The day is gonna come when we’re all gonna have to testify.
526
526
-
Peejay8T8
- Posts: 32
- Joined: 13 Mar 2020, 06:27
- Gender: Male
Re: Heat...Good old health and safety
Nope. Just an argumentative smart a**e. The met office have given an amber warning, deliveries are longer and heavier than ever, Not exactly what we "signed up for" is it?! Dip stick
-
Streets4228
- Posts: 17
- Joined: 10 May 2021, 13:35
- Gender: Male
Re: Heat...Good old health and safety
Oh well then go and get another job. As I said earlier see what pay and what the terms and conditions are like there. I've worked on construction sites before here and we all had to work until 16:30 outside very hard work a lot harder than walking. Maybe you could try that or maybe working in a red hot factory where u need to ask to go to the toilets. All you have to be is sensible, make sure you have hat sunscreen and plenty of water. You don't take your lapsing if you can't manage it in your time, or you bring some of your own delivery back, but always follow the process before leaving the delivery office.
-
SpacePhoenix
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 12195
- Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
- Gender: Male
Re: Heat...Good old health and safety
MCs can be just as hot inside as DOs, with the added heat source from the sorting machines. Just look along an iLSM when it's been running for a bit and you'll clearly see the heat haze
-
Peejay8T8
- Posts: 32
- Joined: 13 Mar 2020, 06:27
- Gender: Male
Re: Heat...Good old health and safety
Whatever point you're trying to make is a non starter. For every example you give of terrible working conditions I could reply with anecdotes of well run jobs where health and well being of staff is paramount. You know as well as I do that sending staff out at the hottest part of the day, with more work than ever before, while the public are being advised to stay indoors where possible is down to lazy managers trying to push their luck to meet their own targets regardlessStreets4228 wrote: ↑21 Jul 2021, 10:05Oh well then go and get another job. As I said earlier see what pay and what the terms and conditions are like there. I've worked on construction sites before here and we all had to work until 16:30 outside very hard work a lot harder than walking. Maybe you could try that or maybe working in a red hot factory where u need to ask to go to the toilets. All you have to be is sensible, make sure you have hat sunscreen and plenty of water. You don't take your lapsing if you can't manage it in your time, or you bring some of your own delivery back, but always follow the process before leaving the delivery office.