ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Return to shared vans from *?????????* ***

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
WalkerX
Posts: 432
Joined: 20 Feb 2021, 22:31
Gender: Male

Re: Return to shared vans from Monday June 21st

Post by WalkerX »

What is this "van sharing" of which you speak? But seriously, I was taken on in April as a reserve, so come in on a back shift, wait for a van, scoot off. I`ve done a "kind of" van share, me as a driver with a non-driver, and one using my own car to get to the walking point. My partners have been unfailingly friendly and supportive, but there`s always that nagging feeling that I`m letting them down by not being quicker. Consequently, I`m not looking forward to the "return" of van-sharing. Much of why I enjoy the job seems like it might disappear. :sad:
Cedar_Room
Posts: 826
Joined: 31 Aug 2007, 14:09

Re: Return to shared vans from Monday June 21st

Post by Cedar_Room »

WalkerX wrote: ↑
12 Jul 2021, 22:35
What is this "van sharing" of which you speak? But seriously, I was taken on in April as a reserve, so come in on a back shift, wait for a van, scoot off. I`ve done a "kind of" van share, me as a driver with a non-driver, and one using my own car to get to the walking point. My partners have been unfailingly friendly and supportive, but there`s always that nagging feeling that I`m letting them down by not being quicker. Consequently, I`m not looking forward to the "return" of van-sharing. Much of why I enjoy the job seems like it might disappear. :sad:
As a van share veteran of over a decade (since it started in 2010) trust me when I say it can range from bearable to down right awful,depending on who your partner is. Don’t rush though. Go at your own speed. Mistakes,accidents happen when you start to get stressed & worked up,relex,think about what your doing + you’ll be fine. Good luck!!
“Shorts,in this weather?!”

“If they’re bills I don’t want ‘em!”

“What’s she been ordering now?”
Acca Dacca
Posts: 3226
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 17:13
Gender: Male

Re: Return to shared vans from Monday June 21st

Post by Acca Dacca »

Has this been confirmed anywhere its returning UK wide on Monday?
If you tolerate this, then your paid break will be next
WalkerX
Posts: 432
Joined: 20 Feb 2021, 22:31
Gender: Male

Re: Return to shared vans from Monday June 21st

Post by WalkerX »

Cedar_Room wrote: ↑
13 Jul 2021, 06:27
WalkerX wrote: ↑
12 Jul 2021, 22:35
What is this "van sharing" of which you speak? But seriously, I was taken on in April as a reserve, so come in on a back shift, wait for a van, scoot off. I`ve done a "kind of" van share, me as a driver with a non-driver, and one using my own car to get to the walking point. My partners have been unfailingly friendly and supportive, but there`s always that nagging feeling that I`m letting them down by not being quicker. Consequently, I`m not looking forward to the "return" of van-sharing. Much of why I enjoy the job seems like it might disappear. :sad:
As a van share veteran of over a decade (since it started in 2010) trust me when I say it can range from bearable to down right awful,depending on who your partner is. Don’t rush though. Go at your own speed. Mistakes,accidents happen when you start to get stressed & worked up,relex,think about what your doing + you’ll be fine. Good luck!!
Cheers CR. :wink:
ripio
Posts: 233
Joined: 06 Sep 2008, 23:32
Gender: Male

Re: Return to shared vans from Monday June 21st

Post by ripio »

Firms don't plan to rush back to offices on Monday - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57820706

"With cases set to rise as restrictions were lifted, "caution is absolutely vital", the prime minister said."

Marr on catching Covid after being double vaccinated - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-57640550

Chris Whitty: "As we move to the next stage of the COVID response, it is essential we change behaviour slowly and steadily."
garyjessop
Posts: 1
Joined: 28 Oct 2013, 22:27
Gender: Male

Re: Return to shared vans from Monday June 21st

Post by garyjessop »

Can’t wait to be back in vans I’m using taxis to get to and from deliveries and I’m in more danger of catching Covid from them as you have no idea who was in the taxi before you.
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32805
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Re: Return to shared vans from Monday June 21st

Post by POSTMAN »

Acca Dacca wrote: ↑
13 Jul 2021, 17:32
Has this been confirmed anywhere its returning UK wide on Monday?
No.
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
denhamhoop
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 303
Joined: 07 Oct 2010, 19:53
Gender: Male

Re: Return to shared vans from Monday June 21st

Post by denhamhoop »

Acca Dacca wrote: ↑
13 Jul 2021, 17:32
Has this been confirmed anywhere its returning UK wide on Monday?
Knowing Royal Mail you will be told on Monday morning with your rep saying it's a fait accompli with agreement from the CWU
2yearpostie
Posts: 1839
Joined: 03 Mar 2020, 15:36
Gender: Male

Re: Return to shared vans from *?????????*

Post by 2yearpostie »

Hire vans are going back Monday.
Cedar_Room
Posts: 826
Joined: 31 Aug 2007, 14:09

Re: Return to shared vans from *?????????*

Post by Cedar_Room »

Still no word at our place. Management clueless & the rep totally in the dark. We currently have ten hire vans & 3 or 4 staff who have been on FT packet delivery pretty much since last summer. If we do revert back to P&L next week then the staffing plan at most DO’s will have to be amended,surely? I know it will at ours. Also,what about SD’s,will the 1pm cut off return,the handing over of the PDA to the customer…will this be a thing once more? Soooo many questions to be answered…
“Shorts,in this weather?!”

“If they’re bills I don’t want ‘em!”

“What’s she been ordering now?”
Rommagic
Posts: 1518
Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 16:52

Re: Return to shared vans from *?????????*

Post by Rommagic »

When will RM and the CWU say something?.
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16710
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: Return to shared vans from *?????????*

Post by clashcityrocker »

Rommagic wrote: ↑
14 Jul 2021, 17:01
When will RM and the CWU say something?.
It will take Dave Joyce a couple of days to pen 15 000 words on why it is now OK to return to van share as long as you wipe a few touch points every day, wear a mask and don't look at each other.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
Ringer21
Posts: 127
Joined: 13 Jul 2016, 15:04
Gender: Male

Re: Return to shared vans from *?????????*

Post by Ringer21 »

It's an absolute disgrace nobody knows what's going on people need to know days off for childcare issues especially now it summer holidays.
Cliffy12
Posts: 11
Joined: 10 Feb 2019, 11:17
Gender: Female

Re: Return to shared vans from *?????????*

Post by Cliffy12 »

We've been told back to 2 in a van from Monday, wear a mask if you want to, hand over your PDA for signature if you want to. I'm a reserve and rarely on the same duty 2 days running ...🙄
GRS
Posts: 826
Joined: 15 Jun 2015, 18:38
Gender: Female
Location: South West

Re: Return to shared vans from *?????????*

Post by GRS »

Asked the question today and got told we are getting a brief tomorrow on it. Then asked if it was everyone or voluntary and was told everyone. Got to wear mask, sanitize and have the windows down. I’ll see if we do get a proper brief on it tomorrow and report back to see if it tallies up with what others are saying.