ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

THERE IS LIFE AFTER ROYAL MAIL

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
HTPostman
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1507
Joined: 01 Sep 2008, 23:53
Gender: Male

Re: THERE IS LIFE AFTER ROYAL MAIL

Post by HTPostman »

norris9 wrote: ↑
11 Apr 2021, 22:58
I just wish there was trust and respect. It should be the Posties choice what he or she takes and as long as they aren't taking the piss - they should not be questioned.
This is one of the most difficult aspects of the job for me. It’s difficult looking at a round, looking at the mail and packets, trying to remember if there’s any roadworks on the route, wondering if your van is good to go or if there’s another 6 vans blocking it in. And then once you get out there it makes a huge difference if everyone is in or if everyone has decided (like last Saturday) to head out for the day.

Honestly if things are against you, it can easily add an hour to the round - if you’re blocked in by 6 vans (10-15mins), van parked in our extra car park (20mins), roadworks (5-10mins), nobody in (30mins). And yet if you’re back early you’re told the round is obviously too easy or you should’ve taken more.

Maybe it’s just me and if I had my own round I’d be able to better gauge how much to take.
The day is gonna come when we’re all gonna have to testify.

526
WASD
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 375
Joined: 03 Jul 2019, 12:15
Gender: Male

Re: THERE IS LIFE AFTER ROYAL MAIL

Post by WASD »

amhopkins1 wrote: ↑
05 Apr 2021, 07:13
Just out of interest what kind of jobs have people gone in to? I’m considering leaving but think I’ll have to retrain in something to earn more money. The main problem I have with being a postie is you can’t progress, I’m only 30 and the job has got worse in the 5 years I’ve been here.
Many roles you can learn as you go, you just need that foot in the door. Specific training mostly only goes towards specific roles, which then you learn on the go anyway.

I've worked with people who left school with nothing and ended up in the higher tax bracket. I've also worked with graduates who earned less than me who had ambition to go further but ended up leaving that job as they had enough of the carrot dangling.

Search for forums in roles to see if an area of work has potential or is flooded. Even IT is a flooded market now, and not the easy high earner many seem to think.
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16710
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: THERE IS LIFE AFTER ROYAL MAIL

Post by clashcityrocker »

Woody Guthrie wrote: ↑
05 Apr 2021, 11:45
I would have gutted the management structure years ago, it's mostly not fit to run a bath.
If our managers were tasked with running a bath there could be several outcomes.
No water
Only hot water
Only cold water.

The only 2 things you could be sure of is the bath wouldn't be fit for purpose and someone would be getting 2 hours SA.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.