ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

PDA van checks

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Seymour Buts
Posts: 1148
Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
Gender: Male

Re: PDA van checks

Post by Seymour Buts »

2yearpostie wrote: ↑
23 Feb 2021, 15:49
lets be honest most are going to tick the vans ok and just take it out
This. All the fuss about this cracked me up. Everytime you tick that box in the log book it's just the same as doing it on a PDA. If you actually look at what the weekly check entails, you'd need another 20 - 30 minutes on your day and I very much doubt many people would even know how to do many of them. Issue is when everybody starts moaning the company are gonna say: You've been doing these checks all along, haven't you?'
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: PDA van checks

Post by Dorset Plodder »

Seymour Buts wrote: ↑
07 Mar 2021, 07:56
All the fuss about this cracked me up. Everytime you tick that box in the log book it's just the same as doing it on a PDA. If you actually look at what the weekly check entails, you'd need another 20 - 30 minutes on your day and I very much doubt many people would even know how to do many of them. Issue is when everybody starts moaning the company are gonna say: You've been doing these checks all along, haven't you?'

I agree with your belief that the majority of Drivers simply tick the book without a second thought. However I don't believe a Full Check is likely to take as long as 30 minutes (perhaps 20). :hmmmm We all work with Time in this Business and it's surprising how much work you can do in 30 minutes! :shock:

The other day I carried out a proper check on tyres with depth gauge, and tyre pressure gauge. :angel I had to charge up our mobile compressor, and wheel it out into the yard .... I was quite surprised when the whole rigmarole only took me 10 minutes. :shock:

Again the problem lies with lack of Training .... most Drivers don't even know how to fill out the Driver's Log .... or the fact that various routine checks are laid out at the begining of the Log. :arrrghhh My Pet Hate is people that put the Duty Number in the Tick Box for the "Duty Check". :crazy:

Obviously most Drivers will resent these PDA checks because they see it as "A waste of Time", but that's just the "Salami Slicing Attitude" that comes back to bit them in the ass when they're asked to Do The Job Properly! :arrrghhh

I feel we need to treat these PDA checks the same as: COVID restrictions, Touch Point Cleaning, Prepping Households, Taking Meal Breaks, WTLL sessions .... it should all be reflected in your normal days work (and if necessary reflected in Pressure Overtime). Stop WORKING FOR FREE and giving the impression your Duty is workable ... When it's often Not! :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
Grumpyoldmailman
Posts: 810
Joined: 24 Nov 2019, 22:29
Gender: Male

Re: PDA van checks

Post by Grumpyoldmailman »

Seymour Buts wrote: ↑
07 Mar 2021, 07:56
This. All the fuss about this cracked me up. Everytime you tick that box in the log book it's just the same as doing it on a PDA.
The difference is the info will all be on a computer screen. At the moment a manager has to leave the comfort of their chair and risk the tea going cold whilst have to go and fetch the log book to check. Now they simply have to switch between the solitaire screen to a database without having to move. People will be beaten with this stick.
Woody Guthrie
Posts: 5166
Joined: 29 Sep 2018, 20:47
Gender: Male

Re: PDA van checks

Post by Woody Guthrie »

It's easy to put a stop to box ticking on an electronic system, you just have a countdown clock before you can move on to the next item on the list and set the overall time at 10 min or 20 min.

These systems have internal time stamps and if you're doing a 20 minute van check in 30 seconds management will know straight away.

Whether they'll do anything about it will depend on how far up the chain this data goes.
Only dead fish follow the current
Cedar_Room
Posts: 826
Joined: 31 Aug 2007, 14:09

Re: PDA van checks

Post by Cedar_Room »

We have a small number of colleagues who have permission to take vans home due to lack of space at work. How will the new van checks affect these employees differently from the current procedure,if it all?
“Shorts,in this weather?!”

“If they’re bills I don’t want ‘em!”

“What’s she been ordering now?”
HTPostman
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1507
Joined: 01 Sep 2008, 23:53
Gender: Male

Re: PDA van checks

Post by HTPostman »

In the last year I’ve been given a van that doesn’t lock (the duty holder said ‘I’ve been meaning to get that fixed for a while) and a van where the seat belt wouldn’t clip in - I scroll back a few months and people have been putting it in the defects column....what the hell is the duty holder (and all the others who noted the defect but never PMTd it) playing at?

I’ve a reputation for logging vans off but I’ve a fully clean record, no accidents, no points, no fines, I’m not going to get any now purely because Billybuggerlugs can never spare 5 minutes to get it logged off.

I hope the new system flags up these ridiculous situations and shows a ‘paper’ trail back to those ignoring the checks.
The day is gonna come when we’re all gonna have to testify.

526
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: PDA van checks

Post by Dorset Plodder »

HTPostman wrote: ↑
07 Mar 2021, 12:08
In the last year I’ve been given a van that doesn’t lock (the duty holder said ‘I’ve been meaning to get that fixed for a while) and a van where the seat belt wouldn’t clip in - I scroll back a few months and people have been putting it in the defects column....what the hell is the duty holder (and all the others who noted the defect but never PMTd it) playing at?
I think you've answered your own question there mate. :thumbup

A lot of Posties believe that if you put a defect in your log book someone else is going to read it .... and do something about it! :pray Obviously nothing gets done unless you fill in a PMT form. You'd think someone would tell them wouldn't you? :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
eastie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2234
Joined: 16 Jun 2011, 15:32
Gender: Male

Re: PDA van checks

Post by eastie »

When is this PDA Van check starting ?
Cedar_Room
Posts: 826
Joined: 31 Aug 2007, 14:09

Re: PDA van checks

Post by Cedar_Room »

Next Monday I think...
“Shorts,in this weather?!”

“If they’re bills I don’t want ‘em!”

“What’s she been ordering now?”