ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

What's the churn rate at your craphole like?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Zicomurphy
Posts: 579
Joined: 24 Oct 2014, 06:40
Gender: Male

Re: What's the churn rate at your craphole like?

Post by Zicomurphy »

wacko74 wrote: ↑
25 Jan 2021, 03:39
barcajr wrote: ↑
24 Jan 2021, 19:55
Talking about newbies, nearly all the recent newbies in my office are female, is it because it's only females who are applying, or is it because RM is being PC so it can have a more "diverse" workforce
Same in my D.O. probably 80=90 percent of new starters are female, I'm guessing some genius jobsworth in HR has identified a gender imbalance in the workforce (no s**t Sherlock) and has set targets to meet, so RM are now positively discriminating in favour of females when recruiting.
Or maybe it’s just that the part time hours and the finish time suits people with child care responsibilities and the fact is if you drive past any school at chucking out time the majority of people collecting children tend to be women.
HTPostman
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1507
Joined: 01 Sep 2008, 23:53
Gender: Male

Re: What's the churn rate at your craphole like?

Post by HTPostman »

SpacePhoenix wrote: ↑
24 Jan 2021, 20:17
noggin1969 wrote: ↑
24 Jan 2021, 17:47
So the ones that want more do all the O/T in the hopes of full time getting treated like crap and put upon.
Does anyone ever tell them that when it comes to PT being made up to FT it's the PT with the most seniority that gets first dibs?
I doubt an interviewer mentions it. Even if they did it would confuse the interviewee.

Can you imagine it....’on a normal morning once you’ve collected your flats from your pigeon hole you will take your meal relief and then it’s work time learning, then we sort out the extended pressure or scheduled absence you’re on for that day.’

I don’t know why there’s so much jargon within this company. Break, training, overtime. Not meal relief, work time learning, pressure/absence.

And if it’s not mentioned at interview stage it definitely won’t be mentioned to them when they start.

Anyway I too have noticed more females here. I don’t consider the place a crap hole, could do with a tidy but we don’t help ourselves, vans full of rubbish, trays and sacks strewn throughout the yard, every morning on the frame fighting your way through kill offs, missorts, chocolate wrappers to find the D2D sheet.

The training is laughable - here they go out (pre COVID) on a cushy rural number for 3 days where they might do 2 or 3 miles of walking and have 30 parcels in the back, with an experienced coach. Then they are put on a monster 13 mile round with 200 parcels.
The day is gonna come when we’re all gonna have to testify.

526
WASD
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 375
Joined: 03 Jul 2019, 12:15
Gender: Male

Re: What's the churn rate at your craphole like?

Post by WASD »

Adequate title :thumbup

Job is fun, easy if your body holds out. It's just a shame that it's difficult to take pride in your work due to the politics.

Every man/woman for themself despite a friendly workplace. Teamwork is make believe as the round size differences are pathetic.

Toilets are gross, and with some disabled due to distancing it's now worse.

I think the union cause more problems than they solve. "Good pay" is just a disguise for the company and union to do as little as possible. The new agreement is further evidence of this. Anyone who truly wants more money and is ambitious works elsewhere, people are just too lazy to chase it.

Covid highlighted and increased differences in work load.

I'll be leaving soon enough, only been here 3yrs. I try not to care anymore but just don't have that mindset, i like to do a good job but it's killing me mentally. Staff turnover is high at my place also. I'll be happy to see RM go under, but will never happen this decade. When i buy expensive goods online, i use DPD.
Runnerdan
Posts: 30
Joined: 28 Dec 2020, 08:51
Gender: Male

Re: What's the churn rate at your craphole like?

Post by Runnerdan »

Tinoblade wrote: ↑
24 Jan 2021, 16:27
I know we all went through it, some worse than others, but there is just no training for new starters. Especially now, it's literally throw them in at the deep end. They need to be working with someone or at least Given realistic work loads for at least a month just so they aren't under pressure from the get go as there less likely to know how much to take etc. We all know it gets slightly easier with experience. So people who know their rounds inside out are still be overwhelmed. Imagine joining now and being chucked on with no training.
Ive just started at the start of January so into my fourth week now. I'll be honest, at times I've had quite a lot put on me where I thought this is too much for someone thats just started, the reason for this was because of the amount of people off self isolating so I think they just considered me as another member of staff, forgetting I was new and not fully trained. A few people around me said if I could stick with it and get through this period then the job will be a doddle once things are back to normal. So I've just done my best, and to be fair I've had some praise from managers saying I've done well which is nice. Ive done some really long days out there on my own, mainly because I haven't had the training so trying to figure things out for myself which takes longer. I'm sticking with it though as I know this is an unusual time for everyone, things can only get better!
WASD
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 375
Joined: 03 Jul 2019, 12:15
Gender: Male

Re: What's the churn rate at your craphole like?

Post by WASD »

Runnerdan wrote: ↑
25 Jan 2021, 16:28
Tinoblade wrote: ↑
24 Jan 2021, 16:27
Ive just started at the start of January so into my fourth week now. I'll be honest, at times I've had quite a lot put on me where I thought this is too much for someone thats just started, the reason for this was because of the amount of people off self isolating so I think they just considered me as another member of staff, forgetting I was new and not fully trained. A few people around me said if I could stick with it and get through this period then the job will be a doddle once things are back to normal. So I've just done my best, and to be fair I've had some praise from managers saying I've done well which is nice. Ive done some really long days out there on my own, mainly because I haven't had the training so trying to figure things out for myself which takes longer. I'm sticking with it though as I know this is an unusual time for everyone, things can only get better!
My advice would be to stick at until the CV blows over, or until RM's changes are brought in, then decide. Sounds like you're doing well :)
We don't really know if the online surge in purchases will die off or not, and if RM's future development works for its employees and share holders. Changes in big companies are slow and arduous.
Seymour Buts
Posts: 1148
Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
Gender: Male

Re: What's the churn rate at your craphole like?

Post by Seymour Buts »

Turnover has always been heavy at our place. Many walk in blind thinking it's a doddle walking around with a few letters in their hand, finishing early in the morning. Of course reality is very different. Recruitment process is so long, also. Took me six months to get in; how many people can wait that long? We got loads who pass the process and just never turn up for their start date. I suspect the hours they offer effects the quality of the candidates, also. Who wants to commit to 20 - 25 hours over any seven days which most of the new contracts state now? Better candidates go elsewhere.
Jpro747
Posts: 1342
Joined: 23 Dec 2012, 10:22
Gender: Male

Re: What's the churn rate at your craphole like?

Post by Jpro747 »

Well with the pandemic a lot of professionals have lost their job and had to look for any job that’s available and that means scraping the barrel. It takes a good few weeks to get used to the physical demands of this job. Shoving a new start on the biggest round ain’t gonna go down too well. Lapsing doesn’t help either having to do another part of a round which you don’t know. Most will go home knackered and feeling like the job is crap and probably search for another one.
ViperF
Posts: 120
Joined: 28 Mar 2019, 10:18
Gender: Male

Re: What's the churn rate at your craphole like?

Post by ViperF »

Churn rate is about to get bigger. Now
That they are introducing Sunday working at our DO!!!
Grumpyoldmailman
Posts: 810
Joined: 24 Nov 2019, 22:29
Gender: Male

Re: What's the churn rate at your craphole like?

Post by Grumpyoldmailman »

ViperF wrote: ↑
26 Jan 2021, 10:29
they are introducing Sunday working at our DO!!!
Doing what on a Sunday, what work is there except Covid kits?
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16710
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: What's the churn rate at your craphole like?

Post by clashcityrocker »

Grumpyoldmailman wrote: ↑
26 Jan 2021, 15:27


Doing what on a Sunday, what work is there except Covid kits?
I thought collection of covid kits ended yesterday?

We had 2 newstarts at one office I worked in. They had Sunday working as part of their contract.
They had to work in the CSP on Sunday if there were no volunteers.
This s going back 2 or 3 years so any suggestion that forced Sunday working is a new thing are wide of the mark.
Oh and I was in one of those union strong areas at the time.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16710
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: What's the churn rate at your craphole like?

Post by clashcityrocker »

And I would happily work on Sunday if I could have those hours added to my contracted hours.
It seems the CWU thinks it is doing me a favour by only allowing me to work 5 contracted days.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
Route1
Posts: 369
Joined: 05 Jun 2015, 00:48
Gender: Female

Re: What's the churn rate at your craphole like?

Post by Route1 »

We dont really have a churn rate as no-one leaves. We are understaffed by design so those who want to work their day off can.

Covid collections finished on Sunday but Covid delivery started around xmas time so they need done every sunday. Our CSP point is closed sundays but the covid delivery is available for volunteers. I expect there will be parcels delivery available on Sundays soon if they can get they staff. Doubt it will be compulsory for existed staff but it will be for new recruits.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12195
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Re: What's the churn rate at your craphole like?

Post by SpacePhoenix »

Route1 wrote: ↑
27 Jan 2021, 18:22
I expect there will be parcels delivery available on Sundays soon if they can get they staff. Doubt it will be compulsory for existed staff but it will be for new recruits.
Probably be the LAT hubs doing that unless there's more than what they can handle
General Mannerheim
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2299
Joined: 14 Dec 2007, 13:10
Gender: Male
Location: Stalag 17

Re: What's the churn rate at your craphole like?

Post by General Mannerheim »

Zicomurphy wrote: ↑
25 Jan 2021, 07:36
wacko74 wrote: ↑
25 Jan 2021, 03:39
barcajr wrote: ↑
24 Jan 2021, 19:55
Talking about newbies, nearly all the recent newbies in my office are female, is it because it's only females who are applying, or is it because RM is being PC so it can have a more "diverse" workforce
Same in my D.O. probably 80=90 percent of new starters are female, I'm guessing some genius jobsworth in HR has identified a gender imbalance in the workforce (no s**t Sherlock) and has set targets to meet, so RM are now positively discriminating in favour of females when recruiting.
Or maybe it’s just that the part time hours and the finish time suits people with child care responsibilities and the fact is if you drive past any school at chucking out time the majority of people collecting children tend to be women.
Well that only works if they can finish on time, in our craphole they have no chance as the rounds are too long and the workload too much.
A few weeks ago one of the fairly new women starters was complaining to the female lino that she wouldn't be able to complete as she needed to pick up her kids from school, the lino then basically bullies her into taking everything out with her, so she rings up to tell this lino that she can't finish the duty ...only the lino couldn't answer the phone because......... she had already left to pick up her own kids from school.........and RM wonder why people think managers are twats and bullies.
Royal Mail managers.....about as popular as a t.urd in a swimming pool!
The DDA/Equality Act demands action,NOT words......adjustments NOT Occupational Health referrals.Case No:2505901/09
Royal Mail is an Equal Opportunities Employer..It discriminates against everybody.
darrellsimmons69
Posts: 15
Joined: 10 Feb 2021, 15:10
Gender: Male

Re: What's the churn rate at your craphole like?

Post by darrellsimmons69 »

My "craphole" will always remain "unchurned"