ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Nathan Evans: viral sea shanty singer quits postman job to pursue career in music

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Nathan Evans: viral sea shanty singer quits postman job to pursue career in music

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

https://inews.co.uk/news/entertainment/ ... TO=newsnow

The musician has decided to ‘seize’ the moment and make the most of the opportunities that have come his way

he British postman credited with instigating an online craze for sea shanties has quit his job to pursue a career in music.

Nathan Evans, from Airdrie, North Lanarkshire, was propelled to fame after posting his rendition of maritime ballad “The Wellerman” to video-sharing platform TikTok in December.
The i newsletter latest news and analysis

Mr Evans, 26, began sharing footage of himself performing sea shanties in July but it was his December video that earned him widespread attention.

Not only has he amassed more than 7.5 million views, the new poster boy for sailors’ working songs has attracted a celebrity fan base, with musical impressario Andrew Lloyd Webber even recording himself singing along.

Seizing the moment

Now the musician has decided to “seize” the moment and make the most of the opportunities that have come his way.

“It all started getting hectic,” Mr Evans said. “I was getting emails about interviews and radio, and it kept rolling on. [Last] Friday I was like, ‘Right, I need to make a change here’, because I was too busy on my phone looking at emails and trying to post letters. I was like, ‘This is not sustainable’.”


Image

Future looks bright

Looking to the future, Mr Evans is feeling optimistic that he could carve out a career for himself in the music industry, though he has not ruled out returning to his old job.

“The future will be quite bright, I hope. This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, it’s never going to come around again,” the singer said. “Hopefully if nothing comes of it then I can go back and continue being a postman, but I thought at the minute I’ll seize it and see what happens.”
Collaboration dreams

Mr Evans said his dream would be to make an album, and added that “if somebody like Ed Sheeran joined in” on his TikTok shanties, “I think I’d probably collapse”.

While singing shanties has changed his life forever, Mr Evans is keen to continue performing on dry land rather than experience life on the open sea. “I get seasick so I don’t know if it’s for me, and I’ve not been on a boat or a ferry in god knows how long,” he said.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Nathan Evans: viral sea shanty singer quits postman job to pursue career in music

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
NWpostie
Posts: 3620
Joined: 04 Aug 2007, 17:32
Gender: Male
Location: Sector 001 Borg Collective, 6 o f 9

Re: Nathan Evans: viral sea shanty singer quits postman job to pursue career in music

Post by NWpostie »

Personally I would have taken a career break in case it's a flash in the pan and he has somethibg to go back to, craze and fads are just that they have a shelf life.

Reminded me of the Singing Postman Allen Smethurst who sang "Hev few got a light Boy ?" he left his job to pursue fame and it didn't work out, the last I heard of him, he is living in a Salvations Army hostel on benefits, he died in 2000, by all accounts a nice bloke.

Best of luck to him and hope it works out and have a back up plan, be prepared to adapt and take the best advice from experienced artist who have been through the same thing.
Six of Nine loves Seven of Nine, together in Electric Dreams.
Jpro747
Posts: 1342
Joined: 23 Dec 2012, 10:22
Gender: Male

Re: Nathan Evans: viral sea shanty singer quits postman job to pursue career in music

Post by Jpro747 »

He’s gonna regret that decision :chuckle :chuckle :chuckle
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Nathan Evans: viral sea shanty singer quits postman job to pursue career in music

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Scottish postie-turned-TikTok sea shanty star sitting at number four ahead of Friday's Official Chart announcement

https://www.scotsman.com/whats-on/arts- ... nt-3111279

A former postie whose TikTok video of himself singing a sea shanty went viral is currently sitting at number four in the UK charts ahead of the Official Charts announcement on Friday.

Nathan Evans, from Airdrie, quit his job as a postman after kick-starting a new viral craze of sea-shantying on TikTok (dubbed ShantyTok) and signing a record deal with Polydor Records.

The 26-year-old’s song Wellerman is currently sitting at number four in the charts, Radio One’s Official First Look programme hosts announced on Sunday evening.

The UK’s Official Chart will be confirmed on Friday, 29 January.

Evans told the PA news agency: “Back in the day when the shanties were sung, it was to bring everybody together, to keep them all in time, to keep the morale high.

Especially in this time when everybody’s stuck at home, they’re doing their remote working – they can join in, and it kind of brings everybody together.

“So I think it’s just kind of brought it into this day and age. It makes it feel like you’re all united.”

Wellerman is a cover of Bristol group The Longest Johns’ 2018 song, which also entered the Official Top 40 just last week.

Evans has released his own take on the shanty, plus a dance remix produced by 220 Kid and Billen Ted, which is tipped to enter the charts at number four.

Wellerman is the most downloaded song of the week so far, two days into the tracking week, the Official Charts Company said.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Nathan Evans: viral sea shanty singer quits postman job to pursue career in music

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Image
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Nathan Evans: viral sea shanty singer quits postman job to pursue career in music

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

He made it to No 1 Apparently.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.