ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Amazon

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
ConeHater
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 1184
Joined: 25 Sep 2020, 12:37
Gender: Male

Re: Amazon

Post by ConeHater »

Folk at NDC say the number of driving duties that collect from Amazon distribution centres are 20 - 30 each day, and don’t forget they are using 95 York trailers to do it.
wacko74
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1572
Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
Gender: Male

Re: Amazon

Post by wacko74 »

val33 wrote: ↑
20 Jan 2021, 10:21
I bought some cupcake toppers (costing £1.10) off Amazon Prime last week, and they were delivered via RM Special Delivery - no idea why, maybe they expected disruption due to snow? They bleed money left, right and centre, with a razor thin profit margin that relies on high volume.
I thought RM treat all Amazon Prime pkts coming through our network as Special Delivery?
val33
Posts: 14
Joined: 12 Jan 2021, 10:33
Gender: Male

Re: Amazon

Post by val33 »

wacko74 wrote: ↑
20 Jan 2021, 15:13
val33 wrote: ↑
20 Jan 2021, 10:21
I bought some cupcake toppers (costing £1.10) off Amazon Prime last week, and they were delivered via RM Special Delivery - no idea why, maybe they expected disruption due to snow? They bleed money left, right and centre, with a razor thin profit margin that relies on high volume.
I thought RM treat all Amazon Prime pkts coming through our network as Special Delivery?
Not sure on this, I'm quite new to Royal Mail. We had Prime Tracked 24 stuff before Xmas that was given somewhat priority (shunted to the front of the queue for sorting), but then travelled through the network alongside all other parcels - I don't know if they were later given priority at the local delivery office.
yellowbelly
Posts: 3728
Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
Gender: Male

Re: Amazon

Post by yellowbelly »

val33 wrote: ↑
20 Jan 2021, 10:21
I bought some cupcake toppers (costing £1.10) off Amazon Prime last week, and they were delivered via RM Special Delivery - no idea why, maybe they expected disruption due to snow? They bleed money left, right and centre, with a razor thin profit margin that relies on high volume.
Can't remember where I read it but I'm sure I saw somewhere that Amazon haven't made a profit on sending stuff for years since
it was only small sized but high volume stuff like books and CD's. They make most of their profit now from Amazon Web Services apparently.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12195
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Re: Amazon

Post by SpacePhoenix »

wacko74 wrote: ↑
20 Jan 2021, 15:13
val33 wrote: ↑
20 Jan 2021, 10:21
I bought some cupcake toppers (costing £1.10) off Amazon Prime last week, and they were delivered via RM Special Delivery - no idea why, maybe they expected disruption due to snow? They bleed money left, right and centre, with a razor thin profit margin that relies on high volume.
I thought RM treat all Amazon Prime pkts coming through our network as Special Delivery?
Depends if they use normal recorded, Tracked or SD
Grumpyoldmailman
Posts: 810
Joined: 24 Nov 2019, 22:29
Gender: Male

Re: Amazon

Post by Grumpyoldmailman »

ConeHater wrote: ↑
20 Jan 2021, 13:09
Folk at NDC say the number of driving duties that collect from Amazon distribution centres are 20 - 30 each day, and don’t forget they are using 95 York trailers to do it.
It will be higher than that, theres 6 collections a day just from the local Amazon centre up here, some come in with only 3 or 4 York’s on but RM run trucks like a bus timetable.
wacko74
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1572
Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
Gender: Male

Re: Amazon

Post by wacko74 »

yellowbelly wrote: ↑
20 Jan 2021, 19:03
val33 wrote: ↑
20 Jan 2021, 10:21
I bought some cupcake toppers (costing £1.10) off Amazon Prime last week, and they were delivered via RM Special Delivery - no idea why, maybe they expected disruption due to snow? They bleed money left, right and centre, with a razor thin profit margin that relies on high volume.
Can't remember where I read it but I'm sure I saw somewhere that Amazon haven't made a profit on sending stuff for years since
it was only small sized but high volume stuff like books and CD's. They make most of their profit now from Amazon Web Services apparently.
I'm sure I read the same somewhere. that Amazons marketplace side line is actually loss making and it's the income from their web services that generate all the companies profits.
deltaforce
Posts: 778
Joined: 01 Jan 2009, 15:29
Gender: Male

Re: Amazon

Post by deltaforce »

Marketplace is just a Webb access facility for subscribing retailers. I doubt if Amazon are losing much money anywhere, the boss is one of ,if not the worlds richest man.
val33
Posts: 14
Joined: 12 Jan 2021, 10:33
Gender: Male

Re: Amazon

Post by val33 »

deltaforce wrote: ↑
21 Jan 2021, 10:34
Marketplace is just a Webb access facility for subscribing retailers. I doubt if Amazon are losing much money anywhere, the boss is one of ,if not the worlds richest man.
He's super rich not because of cash in the bank, but the value of his stock. If the company went bust or the share price collapsed, he'd lose billions overnight.
Route1
Posts: 369
Joined: 05 Jun 2015, 00:48
Gender: Female

Re: Amazon

Post by Route1 »

wacko74 wrote: ↑
21 Jan 2021, 04:10
yellowbelly wrote: ↑
20 Jan 2021, 19:03
val33 wrote: ↑
20 Jan 2021, 10:21
I bought some cupcake toppers (costing £1.10) off Amazon Prime last week, and they were delivered via RM Special Delivery - no idea why, maybe they expected disruption due to snow? They bleed money left, right and centre, with a razor thin profit margin that relies on high volume.
Can't remember where I read it but I'm sure I saw somewhere that Amazon haven't made a profit on sending stuff for years since
it was only small sized but high volume stuff like books and CD's. They make most of their profit now from Amazon Web Services apparently.
I'm sure I read the same somewhere. that Amazons marketplace side line is actually loss making and it's the income from their web services that generate all the companies profits.
Amazon make more profit from marketplace sellers than selling their own stuff.
ScrapAngard
Posts: 2
Joined: 13 Jan 2021, 17:54
Gender: Male

Re: Amazon

Post by ScrapAngard »

Manboat wrote: ↑
19 Jan 2021, 07:30
We’ve been getting hammered with Amazon throughout the pandemic, not sure how it works but does seem strange we deliver their stuff and it actually makes us fail mail.
They're Amazon Marketplace deliveries. They're from online traders who use the Amazon platform. They pay RM postage just like everyone else but the label has Amazon on it because the trader just prints it out from their order. If it's specified day delivery or express
that the customer selects, it will go through Amazon's own logistics or a courier. In a nutshell, it's keeping RM in business because the letters side has been decimated because of email and paperless billing.
val33
Posts: 14
Joined: 12 Jan 2021, 10:33
Gender: Male

Re: Amazon

Post by val33 »

Just had a very weird case, I'm totally baffled.

I was expecting 2 Amazon parcels today, one sent with Amazon logistics (their own network) and one sent with Royal Mail. The Royal Mail one had a valid tracking number (PY XXXXXXXXX GB).

Both parcels were delivered by an Amazon guy in his own van - the Royal Mail one (which only tracks/updates on delivery) then tracked on the RM website as "Delivered by XXX North Delivery Office" (my local DO).

If Amazon delivered the parcel, how do they update the RM tracking system ??
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12195
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Re: Amazon

Post by SpacePhoenix »

val33 wrote: ↑
25 Jan 2021, 17:17
Just had a very weird case, I'm totally baffled.

I was expecting 2 Amazon parcels today, one sent with Amazon logistics (their own network) and one sent with Royal Mail. The Royal Mail one had a valid tracking number (PY XXXXXXXXX GB).

Both parcels were delivered by an Amazon guy in his own van - the Royal Mail one (which only tracks/updates on delivery) then tracked on the RM website as "Delivered by XXX North Delivery Office" (my local DO).

If Amazon delivered the parcel, how do they update the RM tracking system ??
Did the "Royal Mail one" have an Amazon Logistics or a Royal Mail label on it?
Mr Rush
Posts: 3357
Joined: 05 Aug 2011, 14:27
Gender: Male

Re: Amazon

Post by Mr Rush »

ScrapAngard wrote: ↑
23 Jan 2021, 18:34
Manboat wrote: ↑
19 Jan 2021, 07:30
We’ve been getting hammered with Amazon throughout the pandemic, not sure how it works but does seem strange we deliver their stuff and it actually makes us fail mail.
They're Amazon Marketplace deliveries. They're from online traders who use the Amazon platform. They pay RM postage just like everyone else but the label has Amazon on it because the trader just prints it out from their order. If it's specified day delivery or express
that the customer selects, it will go through Amazon's own logistics or a courier. In a nutshell, it's keeping RM in business because the letters side has been decimated because of email and paperless billing.
Amazon as a vertically integrated retailer desperately needs to be broken up. You said it yourself, they skim the best parts and dump the scraps on us. We've got the obligation of providing a universal service; which, when compared to the other operators making megabucks off feudal contracts and atrocious working conditions, artificially makes Royal Mail look like an eternally failing company.
The machine stops.
val33
Posts: 14
Joined: 12 Jan 2021, 10:33
Gender: Male

Re: Amazon

Post by val33 »

SpacePhoenix wrote: ↑
25 Jan 2021, 19:30
val33 wrote: ↑
25 Jan 2021, 17:17
Just had a very weird case, I'm totally baffled.

I was expecting 2 Amazon parcels today, one sent with Amazon logistics (their own network) and one sent with Royal Mail. The Royal Mail one had a valid tracking number (PY XXXXXXXXX GB).

Both parcels were delivered by an Amazon guy in his own van - the Royal Mail one (which only tracks/updates on delivery) then tracked on the RM website as "Delivered by XXX North Delivery Office" (my local DO).

If Amazon delivered the parcel, how do they update the RM tracking system ??
Did the "Royal Mail one" have an Amazon Logistics or a Royal Mail label on it?
Royal Mail label which clearly showed the tracking number.