ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Giving Notice
-
Manboat
- Posts: 172
- Joined: 26 Jan 2015, 22:16
- Gender: Male
Re: Giving Notice
Just like Royal Mail has the Railway has its characters, main thing is just always put your safety first as it can be a dangerous job shunting wagons together at night, always communicate well with the driver who your working with. The wagon examination side is easy enough to do and the courses you do are ok, depending on the types of wagons you’ll be examining will depend on the relevant checks you’ll carry out but mainly you’ll be checking hand brakes are off every wagon, checking the buffers are ok, taking wagon numbers down as you go along for making a train list on the computer, shunting wagons together in the current order, stuff like that, lots of walking in all weathers but you’ll know about that at least lol. Hopefully you’ll get a decent shift pattern as to make up for weekend working and bank holiday working, can get great time off doing 12 hours shifts if the shift pattern is right. Never take chances, safety first, seems a lifetime away now to be honest
-
k979aaa
- Posts: 12578
- Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
- Gender: Male
- Location: THE NORTH
Re: Giving Notice
Surly you did get a contract that you signed god still got mine from 35 years ago first lesson in new job get a contract and know where it is and read it before you sign it! Good luck all the best
-
Postie45
- Posts: 2160
- Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
- Gender: Male
-
Mr_P0stie
- Posts: 17
- Joined: 16 Aug 2020, 22:27
- Gender: Male
Re: Giving Notice
Cheers!Grumpyoldmailman wrote: ↑16 Jan 2021, 22:38Congratulations it’s a good industry to get into. Good union as well.Mr_P0stie wrote: ↑16 Jan 2021, 21:23Got a job on the rails as a "mobile operative" so its night work prepping trains. The money is much better than RM and its about 10 more hours a week, plus I've got a chance to go on to becoming a mainline driver or something else as I'm quite young. Hopefully, it'll all work out![]()
Thanks for the info, I'll keep safety as a priority. I've been told that I've got to go on a course for 4 weeks up in oxford before I can start which will be a bit different but I'm looking forward to it.Manboat wrote: ↑16 Jan 2021, 22:54Just like Royal Mail has the Railway has its characters, main thing is just always put your safety first as it can be a dangerous job shunting wagons together at night, always communicate well with the driver who your working with. The wagon examination side is easy enough to do and the courses you do are ok, depending on the types of wagons you’ll be examining will depend on the relevant checks you’ll carry out but mainly you’ll be checking hand brakes are off every wagon, checking the buffers are ok, taking wagon numbers down as you go along for making a train list on the computer, shunting wagons together in the current order, stuff like that, lots of walking in all weathers but you’ll know about that at least lol. Hopefully you’ll get a decent shift pattern as to make up for weekend working and bank holiday working, can get great time off doing 12 hours shifts if the shift pattern is right. Never take chances, safety first, seems a lifetime away now to be honest
I haven't been sent my contract yet but I'll have a read through when I do, cheers!
My postman friend gets really angry when I tell everyone what he does for a living.
I call him a mail escort.
I call him a mail escort.
-
Manboat
- Posts: 172
- Joined: 26 Jan 2015, 22:16
- Gender: Male
Re: Giving Notice
No problem and good luck 
-
dohnut
- Posts: 658
- Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:15
- Gender: Male
Re: Giving Notice
When you say the pay is a lot better, what we talking about, obviously working nights you get allowance, I'm guessing around £25000 a year?.