It's nice to maintain Xmas traditions I feel.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
How much in tips did you get this xmas?
-
Sir Henry
- Posts: 1316
- Joined: 24 Oct 2014, 00:33
- Gender: Male
Re: How much in tips did you get this xmas?
It's time for Henry's annual Xmas tips post and for the umpteenth year running the grand total is zero.
It's nice to maintain Xmas traditions I feel.
It's nice to maintain Xmas traditions I feel.
"A third of the world's farmland is now useless due to soil degradation, yet we still keep producing mouths to feed. And what's you answer to that? Energy saving lightbulbs?"
-
sorefeet17
- Posts: 299
- Joined: 11 May 2015, 17:10
- Gender: Male
Re: How much in tips did you get this xmas?
30% ? more like 2% for me!Celgar wrote: ↑26 Dec 2019, 22:52More likely to get a tip from an older person - as in over 40 - than from a younger person but even this isn't a hard & fast rule. Essentially it comes down to it they want to or don't want to give you a tip. The majority won't tip you so about 30% of households will, but often only if you catch them on the doorstep, and 70% generally won't give you a tip. I don't think being rich or poor is a factor either as most people have a few pounds or some chocolates to spare.
-
norris9
- Posts: 2696
- Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
- Gender: Female
Re: How much in tips did you get this xmas?
With the lack of tips it does make me think 'Why do I tip the waitress who does 3 minutes work for me'.
I pay out more in tips to waiters/waitresses in a year than I get in tips from hundreds of people I work for 5 days a week all year.
I pay out more in tips to waiters/waitresses in a year than I get in tips from hundreds of people I work for 5 days a week all year.
-
sorefeet17
- Posts: 299
- Joined: 11 May 2015, 17:10
- Gender: Male
Re: How much in tips did you get this xmas?
I read an article the other day about bar workers missing out on Christmas tips because of Covid closers, one guy who worked in a Scottish hotel said he would normally get £800-£1000 in Dec alone in tips
-
ploddington
- Posts: 1
- Joined: 05 Dec 2020, 16:39
- Gender: Male
Re: How much in tips did you get this xmas?
Between us both just over £4oo, 35 bottles of wine,2 Jim beam, individually also 5 tins biscuits, 9 boxes of chocks, aftershave set,
My customers are really lovely
My customers are really lovely
-
blacov
- Posts: 397
- Joined: 12 May 2019, 21:40
- Gender: Male
Re: How much in tips did you get this xmas?
Between me and you I got £0 but I am sure money I made over xmas madness is enough to match your £400 ish tips with enough spare change to buy all the treats you have listed.ploddington wrote: ↑22 Dec 2020, 19:20Between us both just over £4oo, 35 bottles of wine,2 Jim beam, individually also 5 tins biscuits, 9 boxes of chocks, aftershave set,
My customers are really lovely![]()
-
number one
- Posts: 1324
- Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
- Gender: Male
Re: How much in tips did you get this xmas?
I’m not surprised most of the miserable lot in here have received nothing hahaha.
-
Alexei
- Posts: 222
- Joined: 23 Jul 2017, 18:01
- Gender: Male
Re: How much in tips did you get this xmas?
Ah yes, the annual brown-nosing*ahem* popularity contest 
-
norris9
- Posts: 2696
- Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
- Gender: Female
Re: How much in tips did you get this xmas?
£60 and 2 bottles of wine.
Prob would have had more if I didn't wear earphones and walk as fast as Usain Bolt. Someone was chasing me down the road with a tenner and I didn't realise. His wife came out to tell me he had been chasing me and she gave me the tenner.
Prob would have had more if I didn't wear earphones and walk as fast as Usain Bolt. Someone was chasing me down the road with a tenner and I didn't realise. His wife came out to tell me he had been chasing me and she gave me the tenner.
-
HTPostman
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1507
- Joined: 01 Sep 2008, 23:53
- Gender: Male
Re: How much in tips did you get this xmas?
Not a thing from the public. I don’t really blame the customers, they don’t know me from Adam. I thought my luck was in when an old dear came to me in the street and said ‘excuse me I just wanted to say what a great job you’ve done keeping us going in lockdown’ time stopped still as I thought she’d dig out a fiver from her handbag but she just got her bus pass out as the bus approached
It’s those who’s rural rounds I’ve covered when they’ve been on annual leave I’m a bit peed off at. One guy was off sick for 3 months from December to February, I covered his round all that time, not been given a thing even though he’s telling everyone how he’s had £400, so many boxes of chocolates, wines etc.
Another guy I’ve covered his round for 5 weeks when he’s been on annual leave. Not a thing even though he’s given the day off cover man stuff.
Now the final guy, I’ve probably done his round 15 times this year. He’s given me 3 tubs of chocolate, a bottle of wine and 2 boxes of biscuits.
Going into 2021 who’s round do we think I’ll make that extra special effort on? Who’s round will I continue to stay out till 4.30pm on a Saturday so it’s clear for when he gets back on the Monday? Who’s round will I take the difficult calls? Who’s round will I remember who takes what parcel and who’s round will I just slip parcels if neighbours aren’t in?
HTPostman never forgets. Anyway, merry Christmas
It’s those who’s rural rounds I’ve covered when they’ve been on annual leave I’m a bit peed off at. One guy was off sick for 3 months from December to February, I covered his round all that time, not been given a thing even though he’s telling everyone how he’s had £400, so many boxes of chocolates, wines etc.
Another guy I’ve covered his round for 5 weeks when he’s been on annual leave. Not a thing even though he’s given the day off cover man stuff.
Now the final guy, I’ve probably done his round 15 times this year. He’s given me 3 tubs of chocolate, a bottle of wine and 2 boxes of biscuits.
Going into 2021 who’s round do we think I’ll make that extra special effort on? Who’s round will I continue to stay out till 4.30pm on a Saturday so it’s clear for when he gets back on the Monday? Who’s round will I take the difficult calls? Who’s round will I remember who takes what parcel and who’s round will I just slip parcels if neighbours aren’t in?
HTPostman never forgets. Anyway, merry Christmas
The day is gonna come when we’re all gonna have to testify.
526
526
-
Selhurst
- Posts: 120
- Joined: 04 Oct 2020, 12:16
- Gender: Male
Re: How much in tips did you get this xmas?
My biggest tip yesterday was a dog bite and a parking ticket. Merry Christmas to the dog I put my size 8’s up and to the arse of a traffic warden. Hope to see him/her in the new year
-
Murdoch
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 572
- Joined: 11 Apr 2018, 16:55
- Gender: Male
Re: How much in tips did you get this xmas?
In my experience. Regular Posties who "go the extra mile" generally sign for everything themselves, and leave parcels in bins.elteleltel wrote: ↑30 Dec 2019, 20:01Imagine the chaos of different people delivering each day ,you would have "Dave leaves my parcels there but Margaret leaves then here" meanwhile Pete just puts a 739 through and Rob tries a neighbour.
Wouldn't be much incentive to try neighbours , most regulars try to keep the customer happy whilst the rest day ,float person has so much more to remember and is less likely to " go the extra mile "
Royal Mail's argument would be, there are delivery standards that should be followed, and no matter who is on the duty they should be the same. But as everybody knows all too well. If you actually do this job by the book you can't get anything f***ing delivered.
So, the longer you're on a duty and you get to know the customers and their "requests", the more likely it is that you regularly break the delivery standards. However, the customers come to expect (or demand) that as the norm, and are annoyed or confused when any other postie does something "by the book".
And there lies the problem.
There are solutions to this. But then, we're sooooo slooooooooow to embrace the solutions.
-
Lenston
- Posts: 15
- Joined: 14 Sep 2012, 21:53
- Gender: Male
Re: How much in tips did you get this xmas?
I'm a reserve but I've been left on the same job almost the entire year. Ended up with £70 and a box of chocolates.
Thought I'd done OK until my colleague on the neighbouring round said he'd had over £500!
Thought I'd done OK until my colleague on the neighbouring round said he'd had over £500!
-
Alexei
- Posts: 222
- Joined: 23 Jul 2017, 18:01
- Gender: Male
Re: How much in tips did you get this xmas?
Agree with this post. Have been covering duties before and the recipient of a packet has spoken to me through his Ring device 'but the other postie usually leaves it round the back' ... 'Yes, well I'm very sorry sir, but he shouldn't be doing that and is putting his job at risk, and as you can quite clearly see, I'm not your regular postie, so I'm not comfortable doing that, so once again, I'm sorry.'Murdoch wrote: ↑31 Dec 2020, 01:56In my experience. Regular Posties who "go the extra mile" generally sign for everything themselves, and leave parcels in bins.elteleltel wrote: ↑30 Dec 2019, 20:01Imagine the chaos of different people delivering each day ,you would have "Dave leaves my parcels there but Margaret leaves then here" meanwhile Pete just puts a 739 through and Rob tries a neighbour.
Wouldn't be much incentive to try neighbours , most regulars try to keep the customer happy whilst the rest day ,float person has so much more to remember and is less likely to " go the extra mile "
Royal Mail's argument would be, there are delivery standards that should be followed, and no matter who is on the duty they should be the same. But as everybody knows all too well. If you actually do this job by the book you can't get anything f***ing delivered.
So, the longer you're on a duty and you get to know the customers and their "requests", the more likely it is that you regularly break the delivery standards. However, the customers come to expect (or demand) that as the norm, and are annoyed or confused when any other postie does something "by the book".
And there lies the problem.
There are solutions to this. But then, we're sooooo slooooooooow to embrace the solutions.
But yes, the longer time on a duty usually correlates with more earnings in tips. There was a PT bloke in our office years ago that had a 2.5-3 hour duty (before van sharing) that took him 6+ hours purely because he was speaking to everyone on the duty. He was always one of the top earners of tips.
-
FirstPost
- Posts: 675
- Joined: 16 Aug 2018, 09:37
- Gender: Female
Re: How much in tips did you get this xmas?
few in office got £1000+