ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

How are you ALL coping

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Munchboii
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 261
Joined: 15 Oct 2019, 21:25
Gender: Male

Re: How are you ALL coping

Post by Munchboii »

Some of the young new in service posties are doing 13 hour days at my place.

Start at 6am on collections, then a delivery and then evening collections from 3-7pm. I know alot of us did it back in the day and half the office just says get on with it we have all been there.

The poor lads are exhausted and noticeably more dogmatic and argumentative. I think this is due to fatigue.

They could just say no but I think they are afraid of coming across as lazy or a troublemakers, and alot of them being on temporary contracts only until Christmas eve or the spring really doesn't help either.

It is a horrible situation. Can only hope they move up the ladder soon because I can't see them staying for much longer if this continues.
yubin282
Posts: 994
Joined: 25 Jul 2014, 19:18
Gender: Male

Re: How are you ALL coping

Post by yubin282 »

thefox wrote: ↑
13 Dec 2020, 11:30
Got a hct take what i can throw packets out to driver i cant get in trolley, finished everyday on time best xmas ever
Me too, working to time and cut off barely manage half a duty most days. BEST XMAS EVER.
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

Re: How are you ALL coping

Post by k979aaa »

I am good it's just another Christmas
Charliecat
Posts: 92
Joined: 16 Dec 2017, 09:29
Gender: Female

Re: How are you ALL coping

Post by Charliecat »

thefox wrote: ↑
13 Dec 2020, 11:30
Got a hct take what i can throw packets out to driver i cant get in trolley, finished everyday on time best xmas ever
Anything I can’t fit in is expected as a bag drop! My drivers won’t take any parcels they think are too small even though I can’t get the loop in a bag! They say that’s what the trolleys for ...to walk round and get the parcels out as I’m walking! It’s too much work ..I’m nearly 53 and only 5”2 and I’m a woman. Can’t surely be expected to do all this extra. My hips and feet are feeling it over the last few weeks. My plantar fascia was almost better but now declining again . Do they care ..no!
OverHere
Posts: 13
Joined: 26 Nov 2020, 14:44
Gender: Female

Re: How are you ALL coping

Post by OverHere »

What difference does it make you are a women and short. You are paid the same as everyone else.
blacov
Posts: 397
Joined: 12 May 2019, 21:40
Gender: Male

Re: How are you ALL coping

Post by blacov »

Charliecat wrote: ↑
13 Dec 2020, 19:07
thefox wrote: ↑
13 Dec 2020, 11:30
Got a hct take what i can throw packets out to driver i cant get in trolley, finished everyday on time best xmas ever
Anything I can’t fit in is expected as a bag drop! My drivers won’t take any parcels they think are too small even though I can’t get the loop in a bag! They say that’s what the trolleys for ...to walk round and get the parcels out as I’m walking! It’s too much work ..I’m nearly 53 and only 5”2 and I’m a woman. Can’t surely be expected to do all this extra. My hips and feet are feeling it over the last few weeks. My plantar fascia was almost better but now declining again . Do they care ..no!
Try using a small trolley and use two bags for one loop. I would always go that way when its too much to carry. I feel your pain but some people take the piss and try to throw ridiculous packets to the drivers who struggle no less than others. This xmas I find packets to be bigger and heavier than ever.
Marshamp11
Posts: 437
Joined: 06 Aug 2018, 16:38
Gender: Male

Re: How are you ALL coping

Post by Marshamp11 »

blacov wrote: ↑
13 Dec 2020, 20:19
Charliecat wrote: ↑
13 Dec 2020, 19:07
thefox wrote: ↑
13 Dec 2020, 11:30
Got a hct take what i can throw packets out to driver i cant get in trolley, finished everyday on time best xmas ever
Anything I can’t fit in is expected as a bag drop! My drivers won’t take any parcels they think are too small even though I can’t get the loop in a bag! They say that’s what the trolleys for ...to walk round and get the parcels out as I’m walking! It’s too much work ..I’m nearly 53 and only 5”2 and I’m a woman. Can’t surely be expected to do all this extra. My hips and feet are feeling it over the last few weeks. My plantar fascia was almost better but now declining again . Do they care ..no!
Try using a small trolley and use two bags for one loop. I would always go that way when its too much to carry. I feel your pain but some people take the piss and try to throw ridiculous packets to the drivers who struggle no less than others. This xmas I find packets to be bigger and heavier than ever.
Also on HCT try not to throw any parcels out, the more doors I have to knock on to wait for an answer or fill in 739s the least distance I need to travel before my time is up.
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16710
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: How are you ALL coping

Post by clashcityrocker »

I find that drinking Listerine instead of gargling with it helps take the edge off the day.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
PostmanBitesDog
Posts: 1428
Joined: 17 Feb 2019, 15:46
Gender: Male

Re: How are you ALL coping

Post by PostmanBitesDog »

Another peek at the Royal Mail subreddit thread earlier and I came across this:

R.jpg
Reddit.jpg
C.jpg

I wonder at which office the photo was taken? :neutral:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RICARD020191962
Posts: 100
Joined: 06 Sep 2019, 13:40
Gender: Male

Re: How are you ALL coping

Post by RICARD020191962 »

This "Despite exhaustive planning" from senior management. We feckin knew in September that this was going to happen. Never a doubt given the ineptitude of those paid (handsomely) to "plan exhaustively" Shambles !
amco37
Posts: 48
Joined: 27 Mar 2013, 11:40
Gender: Female

Re: How are you ALL coping

Post by amco37 »

blacov wrote: ↑
13 Dec 2020, 20:19
Charliecat wrote: ↑
13 Dec 2020, 19:07
thefox wrote: ↑
13 Dec 2020, 11:30
Got a hct take what i can throw packets out to driver i cant get in trolley, finished everyday on time best xmas ever
Anything I can’t fit in is expected as a bag drop! My drivers won’t take any parcels they think are too small even though I can’t get the loop in a bag! They say that’s what the trolleys for ...to walk round and get the parcels out as I’m walking! It’s too much work ..I’m nearly 53 and only 5”2 and I’m a woman. Can’t surely be expected to do all this extra. My hips and feet are feeling it over the last few weeks. My plantar fascia was almost better but now declining again . Do they care ..no!
Try using a small trolley and use two bags for one loop. I would always go that way when its too much to carry. I feel your pain but some people take the piss and try to throw ridiculous packets to the drivers who struggle no less than others. This xmas I find packets to be bigger and heavier than ever.

I find the packets to be bigger and heavier too. It's exhausting carrying a large, heavy parcel up flights of stairs.
What is the weight limit we are allowed to carry? Is it different for women? I'm sure I read somewhere that women are expected to carry less weight? Is there a limit on the dimensions of parcels?

They just don't care about us. It's that simple. They only care about the money Royal Mail are making from this parcel boom.
We are exhausted :roll:
What about the posties expected to take ALL their parcels and do mail. Yep, they can cut off, but it's still exhausting day in day out delivering mail AND hundreds of parcels. There are people in my office starting at 6 am and finishing after 3pm - and still leaving loops. It won't be long before people's health is affected or accidents start to happen or sickness goes up. But will Royal Mail care? NO! Because there are plenty of unemployed people desperate for a job who will just replace the spent, knackered old Postal worker.

Oh and I'm sick of people opening their doors and saying thanks. WTF is wrong with them they have to buy so many things in the first place. We seem to have gone completely consumer mad. Covid or not. The ordering of STUFF is just ridiculous. And online shopping has killed the high street. I will be getting out of this job as soon as I can because I only see doom and gloom ahead for postal workers. It's definitely not a job you want to have for too long.
A2B
Posts: 2033
Joined: 25 Feb 2009, 19:34
Gender: Male

Re: How are you ALL coping

Post by A2B »

Returned to the office this evening and was told about an email from the area manager telling DOMs that they must do whatever they can to clear the office by the 24th and that they could issue whatever overtime they see fit to achieve this.

I think our office passed the point of no return about 2 weeks ago and the people doing the overtime don't have the capacity to do anymore, the office has been running on overtime for the last 6 months and people are dead on their feet!
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: How are you ALL coping

Post by krussel »

Ive seen many a Christmas but this one i just want over. Every bloody thing hurts from my feet up.

Just getting half the walk done each day and when you FINALLY get a rest day you walk into 2 days mail as it did not go out.

Trouble is i rem working xmas for 2 weeks on OT every day and getting a months salary. Prob £2k in todays money. Nowadays we have people staying out to 6pm and getting 4 hours docket. Jeez.

All we need is to find out in Jan than higher grades got paid £1000's in xmas bonuses.

Its tough out on the streets this year
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
Murdoch
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 572
Joined: 11 Apr 2018, 16:55
Gender: Male

Re: How are you ALL coping

Post by Murdoch »

krussel wrote: ↑
17 Dec 2020, 21:45
Ive seen many a Christmas but this one i just want over. Every bloody thing hurts from my feet up.
Problem is, as soon as Christmas is over, the government will implement more strict lockdowns. To make up for the relaxation over xmas, and the inevitable spike in covid-19 cases.

January into Feb will be pretty grim too.
Grumpyoldmailman
Posts: 810
Joined: 24 Nov 2019, 22:29
Gender: Male

Re: How are you ALL coping

Post by Grumpyoldmailman »

A2B wrote: ↑
17 Dec 2020, 21:34
from the area manager telling DOMs that they must do whatever they can to clear the office by the 24th and that they could issue whatever overtime they see fit to achieve this.
Well good luck to them with that, on Xmas eve I will be getting my specials and tracked done and then anything more than that will be a bonus. Even the docket kings at ours are saying the same. Family will firmly be coming first on Xmas eve.