ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Christmas bonus for staff

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Trumanity
Posts: 338
Joined: 03 Aug 2012, 13:08
Gender: Male

Re: Christmas bonus for staff

Post by Trumanity »

Cedar_Room wrote: ↑
11 Dec 2020, 16:42
Trumanity wrote: ↑
11 Dec 2020, 16:12
TheoF95 wrote: ↑
11 Dec 2020, 15:50
Trumanity wrote: ↑
11 Dec 2020, 15:19
Cedar_Room wrote: ↑
10 Dec 2020, 15:23
When I first started on the post,I too was PT & I too received the pro-Rata Christmas bonus. It’s not a new thing but I honestly don’t remember this amount of moaning about us getting less than our full time colleagues. Maybe social media & to the invention of the internet is to blame...
Most of the part-timers I work with, including myself, work more hours than their full-time colleagues and do this over 6 days a week without a day off during the week. That is the point. If and when I can afford to take a week's holiday I get 27.5 basic pay only. Last week I did 35+ hours of overtime. This has pretty much been the case since March. PTimers were promised in the four pillars agreement that they would be offered full-time contracts if they were regularly working up to and over full-time hours. This was reneged on even though my office has loads of full-time vacancies. It's not moaning. It's about being fair. The holiday pay issue regarding average over time has now become an illegal policy since April 2020. I'll continue to moan until this company treats it's staff equitably.
I am with you on this! I am on a 25:00 contract PT reserve. Last 2 years i have covered a FT 38:00 duty including gen sort, IP and Del. The full duty. 2 years. The duty is vacant but i can't be made up and they have not advertised it.
Thanks for the support. I don't think it is moaning. I've worked for this company for over a decade. It took me 5 years to get my contract made permanent rather than those annual renewing fixed-term contracts. I've always done overtime and pulled my weight. I just get frustrated when there are vacancies and part-timers aren't rewarded with the opportunity to up their hours guaranteed. Remember the Four Pillars stated: "Part-time colleagues’ contracted hours will be jointly reviewed every March and September. Where appropriate, increased contracted hours will be offered to reflect the hours actually worked and planned." I have never had a review, yet there are plenty of FT vacancies. If that is moaning then I'm moaning.
Fair enough. Part timers in my office have been made up fairly regularly over the past few years. We have people with less than 5yrs service who are now on 35hr contracts.

The position you are in sounds very frustrating & I would be annoyed too! Hope it is rectified in the next agreement & you are rewarded with a decent contract...
Yeah, thanks for that.
HTPostman
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1507
Joined: 01 Sep 2008, 23:53
Gender: Male

Re: Christmas bonus for staff

Post by HTPostman »

Trumanity wrote: ↑
11 Dec 2020, 17:10
Cedar_Room wrote: ↑
11 Dec 2020, 16:42
Trumanity wrote: ↑
11 Dec 2020, 16:12
TheoF95 wrote: ↑
11 Dec 2020, 15:50
Trumanity wrote: ↑
11 Dec 2020, 15:19
Cedar_Room wrote: ↑
10 Dec 2020, 15:23
When I first started on the post,I too was PT & I too received the pro-Rata Christmas bonus. It’s not a new thing but I honestly don’t remember this amount of moaning about us getting less than our full time colleagues. Maybe social media & to the invention of the internet is to blame...
Most of the part-timers I work with, including myself, work more hours than their full-time colleagues and do this over 6 days a week without a day off during the week. That is the point. If and when I can afford to take a week's holiday I get 27.5 basic pay only. Last week I did 35+ hours of overtime. This has pretty much been the case since March. PTimers were promised in the four pillars agreement that they would be offered full-time contracts if they were regularly working up to and over full-time hours. This was reneged on even though my office has loads of full-time vacancies. It's not moaning. It's about being fair. The holiday pay issue regarding average over time has now become an illegal policy since April 2020. I'll continue to moan until this company treats it's staff equitably.
I am with you on this! I am on a 25:00 contract PT reserve. Last 2 years i have covered a FT 38:00 duty including gen sort, IP and Del. The full duty. 2 years. The duty is vacant but i can't be made up and they have not advertised it.
Thanks for the support. I don't think it is moaning. I've worked for this company for over a decade. It took me 5 years to get my contract made permanent rather than those annual renewing fixed-term contracts. I've always done overtime and pulled my weight. I just get frustrated when there are vacancies and part-timers aren't rewarded with the opportunity to up their hours guaranteed. Remember the Four Pillars stated: "Part-time colleagues’ contracted hours will be jointly reviewed every March and September. Where appropriate, increased contracted hours will be offered to reflect the hours actually worked and planned." I have never had a review, yet there are plenty of FT vacancies. If that is moaning then I'm moaning.
Fair enough. Part timers in my office have been made up fairly regularly over the past few years. We have people with less than 5yrs service who are now on 35hr contracts.

The position you are in sounds very frustrating & I would be annoyed too! Hope it is rectified in the next agreement & you are rewarded with a decent contract...
Yeah, thanks for that.
Same here, this year I’ve averaged 51 hours, that’s more than double my contracted hours.

No I haven’t been forced to work those extra hours, yes I know I accepted and signed a 25 hour contract. I’m glad to be getting the extra money when some offices have an OT ban,

But the holiday pay issue is a real kick in the teeth. I’d gladly pay 50% of any backdated pay to a lawyer who once and for all sorts it out.

From next summer I’ll just be doing my hours. Management can then decide if my super flexibility and knowledge of 70 rounds is worth an upgrade. If not they can find me a 5 hour duty.

But deep down I’m resigned to never being made up, there’s plenty ahead of me in the seniority list anyway and the union rep here is FT so doesn’t care. As for agreements we know they don’t mean a thing.

This week in our office if we wanted to PT staff could’ve broken the system/Royal Mail. If we all worked our contracted hours I think as an office we might just have managed specials and about 30% of tracked and that’s it.
The day is gonna come when we’re all gonna have to testify.

526
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

Re: Christmas bonus for staff

Post by k979aaa »

All the people who complain are doing overtime hence why they don't get made up, It is a chicken and egg syndrome but if you want an omelette you need to crack a few eggs!
HTPostman
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1507
Joined: 01 Sep 2008, 23:53
Gender: Male

Re: Christmas bonus for staff

Post by HTPostman »

k979aaa wrote: ↑
12 Dec 2020, 14:19
All the people who complain are doing overtime hence why they don't get made up, It is a chicken and egg syndrome but if you want an omelette you need to crack a few eggs!
Very true. However it will take all of us to stand together. No good just me saying I’m only doing my contracted hours if the other 49 PTers in my office scoop up what I was going to do.

And we’ve never been good at supporting and helping each other at RM.
The day is gonna come when we’re all gonna have to testify.

526
DB1100
Posts: 1976
Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30

Re: Christmas bonus for staff

Post by DB1100 »

Trumanity wrote: ↑
11 Dec 2020, 15:19
Cedar_Room wrote: ↑
10 Dec 2020, 15:23
When I first started on the post,I too was PT & I too received the pro-Rata Christmas bonus. It’s not a new thing but I honestly don’t remember this amount of moaning about us getting less than our full time colleagues. Maybe social media & to the invention of the internet is to blame...
Most of the part-timers I work with, including myself, work more hours than their full-time colleagues and do this over 6 days a week without a day off during the week. That is the point. If and when I can afford to take a week's holiday I get 27.5 basic pay only. Last week I did 35+ hours of overtime. This has pretty much been the case since March. PTimers were promised in the four pillars agreement that they would be offered full-time contracts if they were regularly working up to and over full-time hours. This was reneged on even though my office has loads of full-time vacancies. It's not moaning. It's about being fair. The holiday pay issue regarding average over time has now become an illegal policy since April 2020. I'll continue to moan until this company treats it's staff equitably.
We part timers also got ripped off over the covid payment,I did double duties most day's as my partner was isolating but I only got part time bonus even though I was doing 45 -50 hrs a week
For we were soldiers once,and young
yellowbelly
Posts: 3728
Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
Gender: Male

Re: Christmas bonus for staff

Post by yellowbelly »

Trumanity wrote: ↑
11 Dec 2020, 15:19

.... PTimers were promised in the four pillars agreement that they would be offered full-time contracts if they were regularly working up to and over full-time hours. This was reneged on even though my office has loads of full-time vacancies. .............
Sorry, but we weren't promised anything - the text of the 4 pillars was just a rehash of previous agreements that are
not adhered to - basically a six month review of PT'ers hours and then increase 'where appropriate' - it was nothing
new.
tractorboy2
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 545
Joined: 18 Jan 2012, 11:03
Gender: Male

Re: Christmas bonus for staff

Post by tractorboy2 »

yellowbelly wrote: ↑
15 Dec 2020, 22:39
Trumanity wrote: ↑
11 Dec 2020, 15:19

.... PTimers were promised in the four pillars agreement that they would be offered full-time contracts if they were regularly working up to and over full-time hours. This was reneged on even though my office has loads of full-time vacancies. .............
Sorry, but we weren't promised anything - the text of the 4 pillars was just a rehash of previous agreements that are
not adhered to - basically a six month review of PT'ers hours and then increase 'where appropriate' - it was nothing
new.
How many reps have actually had discussions with management about this in March and September. ?
PostmanPat007
Posts: 16
Joined: 16 Dec 2020, 07:09
Gender: Male

Re: Christmas bonus for staff

Post by PostmanPat007 »

:nervous
If you are a part timer and you step up during Christmas morally and ethically u should get full time bonus. ??????? .
Smith12127
Posts: 6
Joined: 20 Jun 2018, 18:44
Gender: Male

Re: Christmas bonus for staff

Post by Smith12127 »

Totally agree with that 👍🏻I’m full-time but over Xmas part time staff should get full time bonus if agree to work extra hours